$25 Soda Fountain Card Question

Grandma of 4

Your credit card will be charged at time of purchase. Whichever delivery option you choose, you'll find the card in your cabin upon boarding. It will be a separate card pre loaded with $50.00 worth of fountain soda. If fountain soda is not available at some bars, you will get it out of the can.

Edited by Typhoon1

The "delivery" option determines whether you will be charged sales tax in some US ports, such as in FL. If you specify "at sea" or MDR for any purchases it will not be charged, but the item is usually in the room when you board anyway ... at least so far for us.

So....if you buy a $25 soda card you get $50 worth of sodas/specialty coffee drinks? Is that right? How much do they usually cost (like how many sodas/coffees would that get you?)

Newby cruiser asking....sorry. :D

No coffee on the soda card, just soda. Fountain sodas (without a card) are $1.50 + 15% service charge, so for $25 you get $50/$1.73 = 28 drinks. If you drink less than 14 you get a refund of the unused balance up to the $25 purchase price. That is, if you drank 10, you'd get $25 - $17.30 back. Edited by jtl513

No coffee on the soda card, just soda. Fountain sodas (without a card) are $1.50 + 15% service charge, so for $25 you get $50/$1.73 = 28 drinks. If you drink less than 14 you get a refund of the unused balance up to the $25 purchase price. That is, if you drank 10, you'd get $25 - $17.30 back.

Thanks! I'm going to post a question about a card for specialty coffees.

We received a beverage card as a gift on our cruise last month. We used it for mocktails and coffees. Is this card different from the soda card?

Yes, a beverage card is used for ANY drink. A $50 beverage card costs $50 and stops when you drink your $50 worth. The cost of each drink + service charge is subtracted from the card. A soda card is the only "discounted" card. You pay $25 for the card, but you get $50 worth of fountain soda. The cost of each soda + service charge is subtracted from the card.

But you won't get the Mariners discount (50% for 4*) if you use the card at the Explorations Cafe. The full price will be deducted.
That was more understandable when the general beverage cards were discounted, but now it costs money for the convenience of using the card!!

Thank you for your responses. The no sales tax on an at sea delivery answered my question on how to respond when placing the order.

You'll find it in your cabin upon embarkation. We have never had any sales tax added to our cards delivered in Port Everglades.

So, if I order a Diet Coke in the mdr or, say, PG, how, exactly, do I use the card (or can I use the card there?)? Do I have to use the card for refills in the various dining venues, or are refills gratis like in most restaurants? Thanks, from a first time HAL cruiser.

Can you buy the soda card on board?

My husband drinks LOTS of Diet Coke--so I know this is a bargain for us, but just trying to figure out how many to buy.

We usually sail Princess and buy the unlimited soda card for all the days of the cruise.

Thanks for the info.

If you order room service dinner, can you use the soda card to order a soft drink?

If you want a soft drink in your stateroom and don't want to use the minibar, can you use the soda card to buy cans somewhere on board, to take back to your room or to replace cans that you've taken from the minibar? (I understand that the card cannot be used to buy sodas directly from the minibar.)

Can you carry soda cans onto the ship, and use them to stock the minibar (or replace what's already in the minibar)?

Edited by ohmark

If you order room service dinner, can you use the soda card to order a soft drink?

If you want a soft drink in your stateroom and don't want to use the minibar, can you use the soda card to buy cans somewhere on board, to take back to your room or to replace cans that you've taken from the minibar? (I understand that the card cannot be used to buy sodas directly from the minibar.)

Can you carry soda cans onto the ship, and use them to stock the minibar (or replace what's already in the minibar)?

The soda card is good for fountain drinks (in a glass, not a can).

Don't know about using the cans you bring onboard to re-stock the mini bar, but why not just drink from the cans you bring onboard?

But you won't get the Mariners discount (50% for 4*) if you use the card at the Explorations Cafe. The full price will be deducted.

So if you have 2 or three Stars no point or difference, Also are people saying if you buy the card to be delivered to cabin you pay tax?

As a HAL newbie I wondered if any drinks are free either on the Lido deck or buffet. As Europeans we find American coffee weak, but on Carnival we could top up our own instant coffee with hot water from several locations. We also found the free lemonade quite acceptable.

As a HAL newbie I wondered if any drinks are free either on the Lido deck or buffet. As Europeans we find American coffee weak, but on Carnival we could top up our own instant coffee with hot water from several locations. We also found the free lemonade quite acceptable.

The drinks included in the cruise fare are tea (iced and hot) coffee, lemonade, milk, water. These are available in the buffets as well as at meals in the dining room.

Sometimes there is a crew member walking around the pool area with trays of either iced tea or lemonade.

We received a beverage card as a gift on our cruise last month. We used it for mocktails and coffees. Is this card different from the soda card?

The soda card is for fountain soda only. Beverage card can be used for any type of non alcoholic beverage.