How better is Celebrity?

Rallytime1975

We are new to sailing but we have never been on Celebrity, and we are very excited. We have looked through a lot of pictures, read a lot of reviews.

We have been on NCL, RCCL, CCL and overall we felt that RCCL had the best food.

In your opinion where do you feel that Celebrity stands out?

Been on 5 different cruise lines. Have been able to always find something that I liked, can't say any was any better than the other. I don't think any cruise line deliberately plans to make their menus or meals bad.

I see people eating hot dogs, hamburgers, and French fries for lunch. I wouldn't waste my calorie intake on any of that stuff or pizza either but that is what they like.

I like Starbucks coffee, others don't.

It all depends on what you like.

If you liked RCCL than you should also like Celebrity.

.💨🍻🍸

We are new to sailing but we have never been on Celebrity, and we are very excited. We have looked through a lot of pictures, read a lot of reviews.

Food wise...

A step above RCCL

Two steps above NCL and CCL

Celebrity is definitely the best fit for us. We have sailed RCCL, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity. The food on Celebrity is better than the food on RCCL. Te food on Princess used to be better than RCCL However, it has declined in recent years which is why we like Celebrity. The ambience of Celebrity is a little more upscale than the aforementioned cruises in my post we are in our 50's

Edited by 4cats4me

I don't think the food on celebrity is any better then the other cruiselines. It was five years ago but all the mass market lines have lowered quality. A lot of people like to pretend that's is still good a they want to think there sailing a premium line. After this post someone will post our food was great but it's the same slop as the other cruiselines. Pretend all you want but it is what is.

I don't think the food on celebrity is any better then the other cruiselines. It was five years ago but all the mass market lines have lowered quality. A lot of people like to pretend that's is still good a they want to think there sailing a premium line. After this post someone will post our food was great but it's the same slop as the other cruiselines. Pretend all you want but it is what is.

I won't argue with that...and probably should have added BLU to my comment.

I'm in the same situation. I've been on RCCL three times since 2010 and I was on Carnival a few times 20+ years ago. But never Celebrity. I'll be interested to hear the comments.

I think it's inevitable that the MDR food will decline as they try to entice people to pay extra for the premium restaurants. Mediocre dining room food is another incentive to try other options.

Celebrity is definitely the best fit for us. We have sailed RCCL, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity. The food on Celebrity is better than the food on RCCL. Te food on Princess used to be better than RCCL However, it has declined in recent years which is why we like Celebrity. The ambience of Celebrity is a little more upscale than the aforementioned cruises in my post we are in our 50's

We're in our mid-30's, and it is relaxing just watching the ambiance of the ship from a youtube video. We're looking forward to trying in September!

Well I sailed with RCI years ago- the last was back in 2010 on baord Brilliance- they have stunning ships, I always was satisfied with food in the restaurants- expect for the Buffet Breakfast - that was not really to my liking - those dry, overcooked scrambled eggs- pancakes seems to be made out of cardboard.

Then their new towel policy- one has to show ones cruise card in order to get a towel- if you need more then one- you get a ( well I did ) " certain" look from the Lady behind the desk. Not my idea of a cruise - so I avoided RCI since 2010!

Well I got carried away- I prefer X nowadays- because I like their style of cruising- more subdued, less party!

All in all when you are in for Party- and a liveley athmosphere- RCI

When you like more " calm " experience- X !

I don´t expect anyone here on the boards disslikes X- this is the X- board after all- so most of the particpants are experienced X- cruisers- If one does no like a cruise or cruise line these days- there are so many options out there!

We are well above D+ on RC, older but active cruisers/travelers

We found that there were few overall differences, servicer was the same, food about the same, but buffet was slightly better on X but did not offer much variation as RC. Entertainment was equal, but overall entertainment was (NOtiCE) not to our taste. Activities were more for older people, no organized sports or sports things like Free throw shooting contest etc. Ship is not designed for children simply not enough to do for them, maybe a good thing depending on your outlook for a cruise. One big plus for X is that it never seemed crowded you could almost always easily get to guest relations or shore excursions with out a long wait. I should say the ship was immaculately cleaned and well maintained, but it is a new ship, 2010, so we cannot compare it to any RC ship not having been on the Oasis class which are actually older.

I was writing a review but my lady booked a Cruise tour with a TA this spring on a trans atlantic on the Equinox so I will wait to compare and contrast our experiences.

Above Germancruiser said it well, some Cruise lines meet your style of cruising better than others.

We've cruised with Carnival and Princess many times, Azamara twice, Regent Seven Seas, Seabourn and Fred Olsen.

The only one that has disappointed is Fred Olsen.

The service is obviously much more attentive on the luxury lines, where there are more staff to passengers and it's nice to drink Champagne at will.

Carnival and Princess are 'louder' environments, with plenty of 'nickel and diming'.

Azamara have probably offered the best value for money / excellent on-board product, but we only book when the price is right.

Here's an idea to book Celebrity:

1. wait for a 123-go promotion

2. make sure the 123-go promo applies to your cabin and cruise

3. get prepaid tips, classic drink pkg. and OBC

4. board the ship and upgrade the classic drink pkg @11.50 pp/pday,

applying the total cost to your OBC.

5. cruise

6. then decide what you like for a vacation at sea.

IMHO, RCCL and Princess are better. We will cruise Celebrity again for the right ports and $$$$.

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

======================================

Food/Restaurant Reviews – Different Stokes For Different Folks

Reviews regarding food is very subjective and in most respects come down to something other than just food alone like:

• A person’s international experiences of different cultures and cuisines will influence a review.
  • It is a matter of expectations. If expectations are low there is a probability of a good review if the expectations are high there is a probability of a poor review.
  • An individuals level of education will also influence a review
  • An individuals level of income will influence a review
  • Individuals who entertain clients on a regular basses in 5-Star restaurants with unrestricted expense accounts will influence their review.
  • The type and quality of food a person eats in their day-to-day lives will influence a review
  • Quality of food from the embarkation port plays a large factor in food quality
  • Length of the cruise is a factor
  • One should also factor luck into the equation
  • Last but not least it is just that everyone is different. I for one do not like fast foods and routinely avoid restraints without white tablecloths.
  • I certainly do not appreciate hamburgers or pizza’s when a full breakfast and 5-course lunches & dinners are being served.
  • Our personal favorite is of course is the “Murano”

======================================

Food/Restaurant Reviews – Different Stokes For Different Folks

Reviews regarding food is very subjective and in most respects come down to something other than just food alone like:

• A person’s international experiences of different cultures and cuisines will influence a review.
  • It is a matter of expectations. If expectations are low there is a probability of a good review if the expectations are high there is a probability of a poor review.
  • An individuals level of education will also influence a review
  • An individuals level of income will influence a review
  • Individuals who entertain clients on a regular basses in 5-Star restaurants with unrestricted expense accounts will influence their review.
  • The type and quality of food a person eats in their day-to-day lives will influence a review
  • Quality of food from the embarkation port plays a large factor in food quality
  • Length of the cruise is a factor
  • One should also factor luck into the equation
  • Last but not least it is just that everyone is different. I for one do not like fast foods and routinely avoid restraints without white tablecloths.
  • I certainly do not appreciate hamburgers or pizza’s when a full breakfast and 5-course lunches & dinners are being served.
  • Our personal favorite is of course is the “Murano”

The nuts and bolts. My favorite post. thx. jls

To me, dinner on a cruise ship qualifies as an 'event'. We love heading to our cabin in the early evening, having a glass of wine while leisurely getting showered and dressed, and making our way up to the Martini Bar to have a cocktail with friends.

Then we make our way to dinner and join our table of old and new friends to chat about our day, past adventures, our home, etc. while we enjoy our dinner. The food is secondary to our enjoyment of the experience itself. Sometimes we are pleasantly surprised by the quality of the meal; sometimes whatever we have ordered is a 'miss', but there is always plenty of food and no one ever leaves hungry. By the time I have an appetizer, a soup or salad, and dessert, I am full anyway, so we tend to focus less on the food and more on the company and the overall experience.

If DH and I were to dine alone at a high-end restaurant, of course the food itself would be the event and in that instance much more critical to our enjoyment of the evening!

For us, it's the overall atmosphere, the bathrooms, the drinks packages, the layout of the ships, the interactive TV, Cafe al Bacio...

We have never had a bad cruise. But we do enjoy some things more than others. For instance, we didn't think much of the breakfast buffet on the Crown Princess, but we adored dinner in the MDR, Vines Wine Bar and Skywalker's Nightclub on the light evenings in the north of Norway.

We do love the food on Celebrity, but we wouldn't say that it was necessarily 'better' than Princess or any other line. Everyone is different, and we prefer the Crown Grill and Sabatini's to Murano and Tuscan Grille. Just a question fo taste, really.

Overall, it's just that there are more things we currently enjoy or like about Celebrity than the other lines we have sampled.

I don't understand people who see no difference between Celebrity and Royal Caribbean (I know they have the same corporate parent, but so do Skoda and Bentley!). Within the (very reasonable) budget they have, I think Celebrity makes a concerted effort to give you an experience to your liking.

On Royal Caribbean you are on a floating theme park where your choices are to take a ride or not, and they lose no opportunity to rub it in, from refusing to cook steak or burgers medium, to the wretched Wal-Mart greeters who annoy you while the MDR hosts aren't doing their job.

I found Princess closer to Celebrity than I expected as far as the service went but the food, although of excellent quality, was unimaginative--what my mom would have cooked in the fifties if she had more time and a better butcher. Celebrity doesn't always hit the target, but the goal is sophisticated international cuisine, and the specialty restaurants--on the four ships I've sailed on that had them--were outstanding.

Obviously HAL is the big competitor in the premium market; I've sailed once on the old Noordam--cheap and cheerful -- and twice on the glorious Prinsendam. Haven't sailed on any of the 1400 or 2000 passenger ships, but I came away with a positive impression of the line. Passengers, both downmarket on the Noordam and upmarket on the Prinsendam, seemed more from the center of the country than the clientele from the coasts on Celebrity