Moderno - what are the sides and salad bar like?

bamagrad92

OP I'm with you, I really don't understand how a "salad bar" can get this much raving. I've read the posts and really am no further ahead.

I'm hoping to be able to try modernos on our February cruise. I will try to remember to take photos if I can of the salad bar that is getting so much attention. And then post the photos when I return.

I've searched images on the web and can't find any clear photos of what is on it.

That would be huge! I'll keep checking back. Thank you!

I understand the confusion. I've eaten at Brazilian steakhouses on land, but haven't been to Moderno, although they sound basically the same. At the Brazilian steakhouses I've visited, the "salad bar" isn't really referred to as that. It's more of a salad and sides and specialty bread and cheese buffet. The ones I've visited, the area where you would actually create your own salad (like at a typical salad bar) only takes up about 20% of this buffet, if that makes sense.

In the photos I've seen of Moderno, the "salad bar" looks smaller than I've seen at other Brazilian steakhouses, but since often things on ships are made smaller, I don't assume this means less selection. It gets rave reviews, and we plan to enjoy it on our cruise. I would bet you can visit it on the ship to check it out either before you make a reservation, or if you've made one, then cancel it if you don't like the way it looks.

Actually I don't think they are that much smaller. I have eaten at Brazilian steak houses on land as well. The difference is Moderno's salad bar is on both sides of the serving area so it really is very large, plus more than size, is the unbelievable different types of salads that they serve...Believe me, it is above and beyond a normal, salad bar.

We just did the Sun and they opened the salad bar in moderno at lunchtime too

I find the salad bar fantastic, I enjoy it more than the meat. They have cold meats, shrimp and well as salad vegatables. Potato salad, coleslaw, olives, palm hearts etc etc

Ditto!

After a dozen NCL cruises we finally tired Moderno on the Breakaway

I just told DH that I could skip the meats and just dine on the AMAZING Salad Bar, which we will be doing in 9 days :D

Great tip - start bringing the meats and pineapple with the salad

Yes, rare meat and lamb are available

9 day cruise, at least 2 at Moderno

We dined outside at about 5:30, sunset, quiet - just wonderful

Actually I don't think they are that much smaller. I have eaten at Brazilian steak houses on land as well. The difference is Moderno's salad bar is on both sides of the serving area so it really is very large, plus more than size, is the unbelievable different types of salads that they serve...Believe me, it is above and beyond a normal, salad bar.

I've never been to one that WASN'T on both sides, and I could tell that Moderno's from the pictures. Like I said, I assume the selection isn't any less, It's just compacted. (Except I'm skeptical when people keep talking about salad, salad, salad, different types of salads.)

My husband and I are planning on trying Moderno on our trip on the Dawn in a few weeks... my concern is that we're traveling with another couple and the wife is a diabetic vegetarian! So... low carbs, no meat.. I've been reading this thread hoping to determine if there's enough on the salad bar to let her dine happily!

Personally, I'm sure I"ll be happy with both the meat and the salad bar!

My husband and I are planning on trying Moderno on our trip on the Dawn in a few weeks... my concern is that we're traveling with another couple and the wife is a diabetic vegetarian! So... low carbs, no meat.. I've been reading this thread hoping to determine if there's enough on the salad bar to let her dine happily!

Is she a total vegetarian that will not even eat fish? I am only asking because they do have great shrimp on the salad bar. Otherwise, it will be like eating anywhere else on the ship but with more choices for a vegetarian. There will be all kinds of salads that are low carb or no carbs, I believe they had hard boiled eggs, but I am not sure, lots of cheeses, a couple of soups, (I don't remember about the carb situation with the soups). Of course being both a vegetarian and diabetic will make eating a little more difficult. I think this is something you will need to discuss with her. When we cruise with friends we will sometimes choose one or two nights not to eat together. Maybe you can try that. It doesn't make any difference which dining choice you make, she is going to be a little limited.

Goto moderno when they open and ask if you can see what they have at the salad bar.

• 2 weeks later...

We've loved Moderno from first bite. Salad bar is excellent, they include quite a lot on a smallish seeming station...will give an overview then a couple platings:

ModenobountifulsaladbarNCL_zps84b9eaca.jpg

NCLJewelsaladfromModernoChurrascuria_zpsd6a26673.jpg

NCLModernofromthesaladbar_zps31602d1c.jpg

The garlic mashed potatoes, rice, beans and plantains are okay but for the carnivore in me, mostly filler, and I tend to fill up fast.

NCLJewelsidesatModerno_zps8c4787c2.jpg

Best meats IMHO? The lamb, their own specialty sirloin (cap), and the marinated chicken leg. The chicken breast, wrapped in bacon sounded great but was still dry.

The other sirloin and filet mignon were surprisingly tough and dry. I imagine if we had asked for rare on the later, it would have faired better. The lamb being fairly fatty was quite succulent, and after the first medium chop, our request for medium rare was met with complete lamb frenzy, (sorry 4H kiddos).

The best side IMHO was the amazing grilled pineapple. The high sugar content combined with brown sugar and tiniest amount of cinnamon made for a caramelized treat indeed. It also served to cleanse the palate between offerings.

Modernopineappleonaskewer_zpsa513b789.jpg

The cheese rolls, made from tapioca flour rather than wheat, are gluten free if that's important. Sometimes these have been melt in your mouth-like crisp Thai shrimp chips made with tapioca-but a couple times actually rather tough for some reason.

Best dessert IMHO? The coconut flan by a mile! If there's any room left...

Modernococonutflan_zps825e501d.jpg

I don't know if this is still true, but recall that as long as we didn't eat an entree in a specialty restaurant, we were NOT charged a cover fee...if that still holds, and the salad bar is your pleasure, it would make a lovely light meal in itself and the price is right...worth checking out, eh?

We've loved Moderno from first bite. Salad bar is excellent, they include quite a lot on a smallish seeming station...will give an overview then a couple platings:

ModenobountifulsaladbarNCL_zps84b9eaca.jpg

I don't know if this is still true, but recall that as long as we didn't eat an entree in a specialty restaurant, we were NOT charged a cover fee...if that still holds, and the salad bar is your pleasure, it would make a lovely light meal in itself and the price is right...worth checking out, eh?

Thanks so much for the images.

One question though. In the "overall" photo of the bar itself, I notice, unlike a buffet I don't see names on anything. I'm a very picky and unadventurous (because of being picky) eater. Some things of course would be self explanatory but I really hate to waste food or take things that I won't eat. Are these sides labelled in anyway or do you just have to guess at what they are.

To the OP: here are the sides that were available on my Jewel cruise a year ago. It's very possible that some of the items have changed, but it should give you a decent idea of what to expect.

Roasted bell peppers

Sopressata

Celery & pear salad

Fruit salad w/ yogurt and chili flakes

Potato shrimp salad

Corn, pecan nuts

Gemelli pasta

Cucumber, tomato & feta cheese salad

Apple, red beet salad

Portuguese beans soup

Portobello mushrooms

Tuna salad

Milano

Brie

Grape leaves

Abruzzese

Palm hearts

Chorizo cantimpala

To the OP: here are the sides that were available on my Jewel cruise a year ago. It's very possible that some of the items have changed, but it should give you a decent idea of what to expect.

Roasted bell peppers

Sopressata

Celery & pear salad

Fruit salad w/ yogurt and chili flakes

Potato shrimp salad

Corn, pecan nuts

Gemelli pasta

Cucumber, tomato & feta cheese salad

Apple, red beet salad

Portuguese beans soup

Portobello mushrooms

Tuna salad

Milano

Brie

Grape leaves

Abruzzese

Palm hearts

Chorizo cantimpala

Great list...AND I think you solved my mystery...the dish I remember was the pear/clelery salad...(yougrt like dressing I believe!)..

Here is a short video showing only one side of the Moderno salad bar on Breakaway from our January 17-19 CTN.

http://s924.photobucket.com/user/limeyalchemist/media/IMG_1201_zps0e8f4027.mp4.html

My favorite item was the seafood ceviche, which was a lime juice and cilantro mix with shrimp and scallops. There were many cheeses on the other side. Delicious.

Edited by limeyalchemist