Review of new RCI Drinks package out of Aust

I find it strange that things varies so much for different passengers.... ie.. we had the premium drink package and re the beer, and Guinness was certainly included, our husbands lived on it :D, at the pig and whistle they were regulars and Edgar or the other guy would have the cans out ready for them, then when they were leaving, would give them a 4 pack to take back to their rooms..on one occasion he said they were getting a bit low so gabe them an 8 pack.. Not once in our 14 days and between the 6 of us did we come across something that wasn't included in the package.. Fiona

Actually I was never knocked back either as, with the exception of Guinness, which I was able to get at other bars - never tried in the Pub - none of the beers excluded from the package (shown with an * on the Pub's beer list) were available even to purchase!

Not compulsory at all. There is soft drink , specialty coffee, and beers wines and spirits packages available if you want. We find then not good value for the amount of drinks we would have, particularly with shore days taken into the equation. It is usually a daily fee that you sign up for, but you need to sign for the whole cruise.

Not compulsory at all. There is soft drink , specialty coffee, and beers wines and spirits packages available if you want. We find then not good value for the amount of drinks we would have, particularly with shore days taken into the equation. It is usually a daily fee that you sign up for, but you need to sign for the whole cruise.

Interestingly the RCI UK site Q&A says that you only need to sign for a min 4 days but then the balance of the cruise. So theoretically you could sign up 4 nights out from return date and have a huge party all the way home! I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tested this.

I like the drinks packages on Princess and X and they work pro rata, so if you sign up four days into a 7 day cruise, you only pay the daily fee til the end of the cruise. There is a good range and I can make them work for me. I cannot comment too much about RCI ones just yet but have seen that it is not as good as X's.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Thanks for this post - we are sailing on the Radiance of the Seas in April for a 17 night cruise - we were umming and ahhing about a drinks package - then I saw that wine is over $10 a glass - hmmm for the two of us it will cost around $2,000 for the premium package, that's around 5 or so glasses a day, just in wine - and I don't mind a scotch before dinner, the missus likes a pina colada in the afternoon so it looks like this will be worthwhile, thanks again.

I like the drinks packages on Princess and X and they work pro rata, so if you sign up four days into a 7 day cruise, you only pay the daily fee til the end of the cruise. There is a good range and I can make them work for me. I cannot comment too much about RCI ones just yet but have seen that it is not as good as X's.:D

The soft drinks package on princess was not pro-rata Dec 2013 on sea princess :(

Thanks for this post - we are sailing on the Radiance of the Seas in April for a 17 night cruise - we were umming and ahhing about a drinks package - then I saw that wine is over $10 a glass - hmmm for the two of us it will cost around $2,000 for the premium package, that's around 5 or so glasses a day, just in wine - and I don't mind a scotch before dinner, the missus likes a pina colada in the afternoon so it looks like this will be worthwhile, thanks again.

It's not hard to spend $13-14 on a reasonable glass of vino so may mean only 4 required to break even! What I hadn't factored in though we're non alcoholic drinks. Once you throw in a few bottles of water, some diet coke, the odd virgin drink when you'd prefer not to be drinking alcohol, along with a few later nights, it's not hard to cover the cost (and you will be very sociable) Do check out booking online rather than onboard as cost saving may be significant if the xrate is still favourable.

Sooooo not worth it for anyone with access to the DL or CL.

Until recently we were still buying a wine package for dinner.

Then we realised we were paying more for wine that we could buy by the bottle.:eek:

Aussie Frequent Floaters

Edited by Aussie FF

Depends what you like to drink. Some of the wines on the package list are a bargain ( eg Spy valley Marlborough Pinot Noir with a list price of $67 per bottle) while others can be purchased separately or by the glass for about the same as the package price. It may be best to wait until you are on board and check out the wines in the package though the x-rate may be better online and you won't have the crowds looking to purchase on day 1. That said, now that the all inclusive packages are available, there is less demand for the wine package and you can purchase any time in the MDR, so it shouldn't be a pain to do on board.

Yes I agree, some of the wines are a bargain! but you need to do a bit of research on the RCI site before you purchase a package.

Just because you purchase the "Top" wine package doesnt mean you get all the best wines;)

Edited by fishtaco

You may or may not be interested:confused:

But RCI dosnt really advertise the fact that you can buy carafes of wine at quite a cheap price at all bars onboard around $11:cool:

Edited by fishtaco

What does DL or CL mean? :confused:

I think it is Diamond lounge and Concierge Lounge (or similar), as they offer free drinks for people who have reached the higher reward levels and therefore it has less value for them or they feel they do not need the package.:D

Don't see what's so funny about it .... I had read on another forum that it was compulsory for at least one person in each cabin to buy a drinks package. :p

Thanks kjsmith63 for clearing it up :)

What made me laugh was, could you imagine being a non drinker and booking a cruise then being forced to purchase a drinks package:)

Don't see what's so funny about it .... I had read on another forum that it was compulsory for at least one person in each cabin to buy a drinks package. :p

Thanks kjsmith63 for clearing it up :)

I think I read that it used to be on one cruise line that if one person in the cabin purchased the package the second person was required to purchase it. It was not compulsory for the first person to buy it though.

Edited by cruisine21

I think I read that it used to be on one cruise line that if one person in the cabin purchased the package the second person was required to purchase it. It was not compulsory for the first person to buy it though.

i think that was only the case with the promotion they had, it was certainly the case with Celebrity's 123 go promo.:D

With RCI it is still the case. If one person in the cabin buys the alcoholic drinks package then all occupants in that cabin who are of drinking age must also buy it.

Some have said a doctors certificate stating a person is not allowed to or is unable to consume alcohol would work if only one occupant wants to purchase the package.

This is fine as long as the person with the doctors certificate understands that they will not be allowed to either buy or consume any alcohol onboard even outside the drinks package policy due the ships passenger Duty of care policy:)

With RCI it is still the case. If one person in the cabin buys the alcoholic drinks package then all occupants in that cabin who are of drinking age must also buy it.

Hey fishtaco, whilst I haven't cruised with RC since Nov, I understand with the recent (15th Dec?) introduction of the new expanded drink packages no longer requires all passengers in the cabin to purchase a package when one passenger does. Read on the RC board some folks discussing the best ways to circumvent even the relaxed restrictions :rolleyes:

With the new drink packages not every adult in the stateroom needs to buy. On line I purchased the select beer package for hubby & replenish pack for myself. If people start sharing or abusing the new rules I'm sure it will go back to all in the cabin need to buy.

I never thought they would do that!

I have had the drinks package and know how easy it would be to share drinks, unless they are going to time/number limit your drinks like Carnival USA,s packages?

On VOS the nightclub had the worst drinks package rorting, I witnessed many sharing sail & sign cards. one drink at the lower bar and then another at the less crowded upper bar.

I will definitely get the beer package just for me on my next RCI cruise.

Edited by fishtaco

Yes, I can confirm the above.(RCCL) As of mid December, the drinks package can be purchased by one or all in cabin. Used to be both of you in the cabin had to if 1 was but no more. :D. On our last cruise on voyager (only got off last week) seems like months ago. Lol. I had the package and didn't think I would use to its limit as I don't drink very much but by the time I had a few cocktails, tried different ones and if I didn't like would try another, couple drinks with dinner then few during the rest of the night, it soon adds up. I would ask for a bailys with crushed ice and they are very heavy handed with their drinks. :D I would get a medium size glass full. If buying in a hotel or like I reckon it was a triple shot. Lol. Husband certainly the value out of it. It was so nice at the end of the cruise and not getting a fright with the drinks bill. Also it was great as our friends we were cruising with also had it, so the batman would view our cards once then from then on remembered we had the package so we didn't even have to show our cards and it was nice not to have to sign all the time. Fiona.

I will have access to CL on rhapsody...what drinks can I get and when...and should I get the soda/ alcohol package or do they stock my fridge with soda in my suite. Info on CL is rare for ROS, its like its kept secret:D

what to do???

I enjoy a few cocktails by the pool..a few wines with dinner and a few after dinner vodka mixes after dinner..I also drink a fair bit of diet coke.

HELP ME!!!!!!!