Review of new RCI Drinks package out of Aust

I will have access to CL on rhapsody...what drinks can I get and when...and should I get the soda/ alcohol package or do they stock my fridge with soda in my suite. Info on CL is rare for ROS, its like its kept secret:D

what to do???

I enjoy a few cocktails by the pool..a few wines with dinner and a few after dinner vodka mixes after dinner..I also drink a fair bit of diet coke.

HELP ME!!!!!!!

You should go for the $55 package per day. Remember this includes coke ect. If you can drink 5 or more drinks a day then it's worth it. I have heard if people sailing p&o & not watching their bar tab and at the end if the cruise it was a shock!

With RCI it is still the case. If one person in the cabin buys the alcoholic drinks package then all occupants in that cabin who are of drinking age must also buy it.

Some have said a doctors certificate stating a person is not allowed to or is unable to consume alcohol would work if only one occupant wants to purchase the package.

This is fine as long as the person with the doctors certificate understands that they will not be allowed to either buy or consume any alcohol onboard even outside the drinks package policy due the ships passenger Duty of care policy:)

Hey Den

When we were on the Radiance in November they were allowing one person in the cabin to purchase a package. Online you must purchase for everybody.

As there has been limited information about the operation of the new RCI drinks packages on Aust/NZ cruises, I recorded some observations below based on my NYE cruise to NZ on Radiance of the Seas.

- if purchased online, your Seapass will be issued on boarding with the relevant drinks package sticker attached. This was useful as it could be used immediately on boarding and avoided the lengthy queues of people looking to purchase on board.

- The cost was also higher on board, reflecting that RCI's X-rate online was incredibly favourable in late Dec when I booked online (AUD 0.95:USD 1) vs a market rate of about 0.89. A number of young adults in the 18-20 yr bracket were unhappy at not being able to buy the package online due to RCI's US based 21 yr drinking age restriction, and subsequently having to pay the higher price on boarding once they were able to show the required parental waiver.

- all cocktails and many spirits up to $A12, along with wine by the glass up to $A14 are included in the Premium package for Aust/NZ sailings. All cocktails on the bar list are priced within this limit, but there was some confusion about which spirits were included in the cocktails. Eg, the Patron Perfect margarita was priced at $10.50 but Patron was not on the list of spirits included in the package (see attached), so many bar staff would seek to use a cheaper tequila when making this. It seemed to me a bit misleading to have a cocktail listed as containing Patron and within the $12 limit, and refuse to make it as advertised. When pressed, the supervisor agreed and from then on staff would use Patron.

- to answer an oft asked question, yes Red Bull was included if in a cocktail, so you could get a Vodka Red Bull. You can't get a can of Red Bull (or any other soft drink) by itself.

- the MDR wine list is extensive at 10 pages or so, but there are only ten or so red wines by the glass at $14 or less and many of these are what I would consider house wine level, $8 to $10 per glass. That said, there were a few drinkable options eg, Penfolds Thomas Hyland Shiraz (listed under cab sav) for $13. Ok, it's not St Henri, but it's quaffable enough. There were no dessert wines by the glass and the available Port ($7 per glass) was pretty ordinary.

- The Champagne Bar has a number of other wines by the glass. Unfortunately, many of the good ones are priced above $14. According to the RCI UK website, one can pay the difference on any items which exceed the package allowances. Despite Guest Relations agreeing that a print out of the website said this, and taking the point up over the phone with the Bar manager, the latter was of the view this only applied to spirits/cocktails. End of story.

- One potentially useful benefit of the package is 20% off all bottled wine and champagne. The Champagne Bar has Moët at $74 per bottle. With the discount this is reduced to $59, which is not much more than Sydney bottle shop prices and worth looking at for a special occasion.

- on the non-alcohol front, the package includes all fountain soft drinks and the refillable RCI soda cup, like a large coffee sipper. These could be refilled at any bar, often without even showing your Seapass. Still bottled water (600ml IQ brand) and virgin cocktails were also included. None of the latter contained any fresh fruit, so no sneaking in by the back door on the "no fresh juice included" rule.

- For those considering the Ultimate package, coffee from Lattetudes is included.

- using your Seapass with the package included was easy. Even though staff would always process the Seapass for any drink other than fountain soft drink, you were never required to sign anything unless including additional drinks that had to be paid for. As far as I could see, there was no discrimination against package users (though occasionally you could detect a bit of disinterest as package users don't sign and hence are presumably less likely to add a tip) or attempts to limit the no. of drinks purchased in a day (absent being intoxicated), though you could only get 1 drink at a time and had to wait a few minutes between orders.

- whilst the package seemed popular, I saw little evidence of people drinking to excess or intoxicated and behaving badly.

- was it worth it? For me yes. I don't tend to drink much alcohol during the day, but between a Virgin Mary for breakfast, several bottles of water and a few soda refills during the day, a couple of beers or cocktails by the pool late afternoon, 2 or 3 glasses of wine at dinner and a night cap or two in the Piano bar, plus several late nights for NYE, the Quest etc, I definitely got value from the package, especially on sea days. On port days it was a coin toss, but overall I was happy that I had purchased the package. I especially liked not having to sign every time I bought a drink, thereby avoiding that awkward hovering as you sign the chit. The key was probably the wine - at $13-14 per glass that meant the difference. If you are not a wine drinker it may not make sense over a 13 night cruise unless you can really throw the cocktails (average price say $9) down day after day.

I am happy to answer any Qs if I can.

Hi! sorry to start back at the beginning but I am a little confused.

I'm on VOS in Feb & want to decide what to do?

You say on the Premium package that cocktails are up to $12 & glass wine is $14. I was just looking on RCI website & it says cocktails up to $10 & wine $12 :confused:

Hi! sorry to start back at the beginning but I am a little confused.

I'm on VOS in Feb & want to decide what to do?

You say on the Premium package that cocktails are up to $12 & glass wine is $14. I was just looking on RCI website & it says cocktails up to $10 & wine $12 :confused:

I might be wrong, but I think it because ships sailing out of Australia include the tip in the drinks prices, therefore the package inclusions reflect the higher list prices for cocktails and wine etc.

I am sure I found these details somewhere on the RCL website but I can't remember where. Maybe someone else has these details

I might be wrong, but I think it because ships sailing out of Australia include the tip in the drinks prices, therefore the package inclusions reflect the higher list prices for cocktails and wine etc.

That was my understanding also. I recall some poster going off like a pork chop in the midday sun about the cruise ship ripping off Aussies by increasing prices for the Aus/NZ season, when it came down to the prices being inclusive of the 15% tip :D

If you look on the RCCL website it says that ......for example. $55 package cocktails -$10 and wine -$12. With an *** Then it says it's different on Aus sailings, cruises departing Aus is $12 - cocktails and $14 wine. Fiona.

Good to know this. All the times I have read about the packages and I have missed the * every time.

Great review. I also have some questions. We are cruising with friends at the end of the year and are thinking of the ultimate package for grown ups and replenish package for the kids.

The ultimate package includes:

Includes: Call and premium cocktails, frozen drinks, beers, premium wines by the glass (up to $12 value), premium coffee, premium tea, bottled water (sparkling and still, fresh squeezed orange juice, non-alcoholic cocktails, fountain sodas with the Coca Cola® souvenir cup.

Is the premium tea and coffee from Latitudes?

What are the frozen drinks? Are these frappes and the like?

What are call cocktails?

Does it also include spirits? Like a bourbon and coke or baileys on ice?

Thanks for any advice. Leah

If you look on the RCCL website it says that ......for example. $55 package cocktails -$10 and wine -$12. With an *** Then it says it's different on Aus sailings, cruises departing Aus is $12 - cocktails and $14 wine. Fiona.

Thanks everyone. I think we will go with the premium package :D

Is the premium tea and coffee from Latitudes?

What are the frozen drinks? Are these frappes and the like?

What are call cocktails?

Does it also include spirits? Like a bourbon and coke or baileys on ice?

Thanks for any advice. Leah

1) Yes (or other onboard specialty café, depending on ship).

2) Yes, though they have other frozen drinks too e.g. with alcohol.

3) Call is an American term for brand name alcohol. e.g. a cocktail with Absolut vodka

4) Yes

Yes and heaps of others. Doubt you would find any spirits that aren't included, we didn't on our 14 nights.

Apart from Patron tequila! I think there are some higher end exclusions. Bundy is actually not on the included spirits list (which I added on page 1 but it's too small to read) but I think that probably reflects that the list is out of the US and not tailored for Australian cruises. If they have Bundy it will be included.

Edited by SydSailor

Apart from Patron tequila! I think there are some higher end exclusions. Bundy is actually not on the included spirits list (which I added on page 1 but it's too small to read) but I think that probably reflects that the list is out of the US and not tailored for Australian cruises. If they have Bundy it will be included.

I've just worked out how to upload the list of included spirits to the CC Photo Galley under "Royal Carribean Ship Photos" here:

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=28014&cat=518.

In case you are a Jack Daniel's fan note that it is listed under Whisky even though it's "big brother" Gentlemen Jack is listed as a Bourbon

Edited by SydSailor

I've just worked out how to upload the list of included spirits to the CC Photo Galley under "Royal Carribean Ship Photos" here:

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=28014&cat=518.

In case you are a Jack Daniel's fan note that it is listed under Whisky even though it's "big brother" Gentlemen Jack is listed as a Bourbon

Thank you. I've just booked the ultimate for hubby and the royal refreshment for me. Just one question - are there ciders? Does the ultimate include cider (along with beer)

Thank you. I've just booked the ultimate for hubby and the royal refreshment for me. Just one question - are there ciders? Does the ultimate include cider (along with beer)

Yes, for sure.... Ultimate has all the alcohol like the premium package (top shelf, cocktails, liqueurs, wines, beers, waters, etc.....) only difference is the ultimate you also get: specialty coffees, fresh squeezed OJ and sparkling water

On Radiance the only cider I came across was strongbow Apple cider. It's included in the PI package. It was ok but not great.