oceania cruise to st peterburg

bellaggio

In August I am going on the Oceania to Northern Europe. The plane lands in Stockholm Switzerland. What is the best way to get to the pier? Oceania appears to charge a lot for transfers from the airport to the pier?

Stockholm is NOT in Switzerland - you'd better look at your cruise documents again!! :rolleyes:

In August I am going on the Oceania to Northern Europe. The plane lands in Stockholm Switzerland. What is the best way to get to the pier? Oceania appears to charge a lot for transfers from the airport to the pier?

Of course you mean Sweden and not Switzerland. The taxi fare is quite high since the everything in country is very expensive but a taxi should still be much a lower fare than a transfer from Oceania. No problem getting a taxi at the airport.

FWIW, in Sweden you'll be able to charge your taxi fare with your CC and avoid changing money at the airport (unless you wish to). Many European countries now require CCs with chip technology - as you have enough time, I would make the effort to convert your CC to such a card now.

Check about the CC with the taxi before getting in :)

There is always the taxi as Orchestrapal has mentioned.

And we were going to use the taxi from the airport until we met a nice young man across the aisle from us on the plane from NY to Stockholm. He lived in Sweden and had been in the states on business. He convinced us to take the train directly from the airport to central Stockholm. It was quite convenient getting the train from the airport, well marked, very quick and reasonably priced. The trains ran quite often and we didn't even bother with the schedule. We just showed up and bought our tickets and went to the platform.

Our new Swedish friend was with us on the train and we seemed to get to center Stockholm in about 20-25 minutes. (The train is not affected by traffic jams). He then walked us outside of the train station to where the taxis were and we got a taxi to the pier. It wasn't a long way---almost looked as if one could walk it without luggage. But it seemed as if we were in the taxi a longer than expected time due to traffic. Taxis are expensive in Stockholm (like everything else) and when we got to the pier and paid the taxi fare, we were glad we did not have to pay the fare from the airport.

So, that was our experience.

Some passengers on our sailing made arrangements with each other prior to arrival to share a cab from the airport to the pier. You can go to Roll Call boards, find your ship, then your sailing date, and exchange information and make plans with other passengers who will be sailing with you.

We were on Marina near the end of August 2013 for a Baltic sailing---our fourth Oceania cruise. I hope you enjoy your experience as much as we did.

Welcome to Oceania! :)

There are regularly scheduled transfer services from the airport to the city. We took one several years ago and was much less expensive than a taxi. Don't remember the name of the service but, I did find it by simply googling transfer from Arlanda which is the name of the airport.

Not as fast as a taxi but, much cheaper. We took ours to the hotel and assume they could also take you to the port. Seem to remember there were several different services and there was a place in the airport where you could book transfers realtime.

Also, the Arlanda Express is a train service direct from the airport into town where you could get a less expensive taxi to the port. Runs regularly so no need for a reservation. You would need to be able to handle your own luggage from the airport thru the train and then to the taxi.

Lots of choices; we prepaid for the transfer with a credit card without foreign transaction fees so didn't need local currency which is unique to Sweden. No Euros in any of the Baltic countries as I remember.

'No Euros in any of the Baltic countries as I remember.'

I think Estonia takes Euros...(I was there in May).

Germany, Finland and Estonia use the Euro and Latvia will be added this year. Germany does have a port in the Baltic.

Edited by rubysue
Addition

I think you are brave to fly in the same day as embarkation. There are so many variables when it comes to air travel that you leave yourself no time should anything go wrong. You might want to consider flying in at least one day early.

I think you are brave to fly in the same day as embarkation. There are so many variables when it comes to air travel that you leave yourself no time should anything go wrong. You might want to consider flying in at least one day early.

For sure! Several days would not be enough for the beautiful city of Stockholm and you would have no agony about missing the ship.