Extra Charge for Ice Cream?

rileylewis

On the smaller ships, we have noticed that the ice cream section is at both ends of the dessert section BUT one section was rarely open.

On the Vista and Signature ships -- there is an ice cream section on both starboard and port side -- and many times there were different flavors. One side opens 1/2 hour later than the other.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam -- gone were the liquors to put on your ice cream.

We say pop in southern Ohio. I think a few other places in the midwest, too.

I guess I'm a hybrid, thanks to my parentage! Mom was from Boston, so sprinkles were definitely jimmies. But growing up in the Cincinnati area, carbonated soft drinks are "pop"! (Dad was from Missouri, so he had to be shown everything.)

I'm originally from Michigan and grew up with Pop. Here in the South it's Soda - but I'm told in some areas in the South it is (or was) called coke - no matter what the brand or flavor.

Funny how each region has their own 'language'. It can sometimes be an adventure when ordering food. :)

I asked for iced tea in Halifax once. They served me iced tea so heavy with sugar I thought I would choke. I eat almost no sugar and it was awful. I was reluctant to 'complain' as they brought what I ordered. It was my fault for not knowing they automatically served it sugared but in Boston we would never add sugar without special request for it. It is served plain with or without a lemon. In the end, I asked for a glass of water and left the iced tea.

Just so you know it's really run of the mill ice cream. While I'm no fan of celebrity they had a specialty ice cream place and it was to die for. There was an extra charge.

I think there would be a market for it. I'm telling you the ice cream in this specialty area on celebrity was amazing! Best ice cream I ever had. It probably had a butt load of cream in it.

Are you talking about the gelato that is available next to the specialty coffee bar on the new Celebrity ships?

I love that stuff! (And surprisingly, it actually has less fat than regular ice cream. It's all in how it's made. Works for me. :D)

In Iowa all my relatives say " pop" . In California , it is soda or soft drinks.

This is a really cool quiz about langauge differences across the country. It is incredibly accurate..it is even kind of spooky. Try it and you will be blown away...I was!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?r=820j48810400802000j02020202001050022008020000b0400&_r=0

This is a really cool quiz about langauge differences across the country. It is incredibly accurate..it is even kind of spooky. Try it and you will be blown away...I was!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?r=820j48810400802000j02020202001050022008020000b0400&_r=0

A group of about a dozen people were talking about that at a Christmas party. For some it was spot-on, and for others very inaccurate because they had picked up some "out of place" words or phrases along the line. Also, if you take it more than once some of the questions change, and the results sometimes change.

p.s. - the link you gave doesn't work for me. Here's another:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

Edited by catl331

I took the quiz on Facebook when a friend posted it there. Incredibly accurate was right! Nailed me right where I was born and grew up though I left there 50 years ago. Other friends who took it had the same result. :D

EDIT: Just took it again from the link here. Different questions than the first time, but the same exact result of where I was born and grew up, Long Island. And I've lived in the south for 50 years.

Edited by peaches from georgia

Are you talking about the gelato that is available next to the specialty coffee bar on the new Celebrity ships?

I love that stuff! (And surprisingly, it actually has less fat than regular ice cream. It's all in how it's made. Works for me. :D)

Less fat means it probably has more sugar. :D

We now commonly see slow churned supermarket ice cream. It has half the fat but one has to read sugar content carefully.

Yes, that was likely it. I was on the Millennium if that makes any difference. I always think as gelato as being more watery but this stuff was good.

Edited by cruz chic

EDIT: Just took it again from the link here. Different questions than the first time, but the same exact result of where I was born and grew up, Long Island. And I've lived in the south for 50 years.
You probably use the word "sneakers", which is definitely a north-east thing.

You mean no one but us in the Northeast says 'sneakers'? :D

I've always called those white Keds we wore (and I still own a few) sneakers. I did adopt running shoes for the more current look but Keds will always be sneakers. :)

Just so you know it's really run of the mill ice cream. While I'm no fan of celebrity they had a specialty ice cream place and it was to die for. There was an extra charge.

Run of the mill ice cream is just fine for me (even though I do prefer the higher end stuff). It's soft serve or ice milk that I dislike.

It's a "Boston thing".

Another oddity in our vernacular is calling soda "tonic". :D

When I hear someone refer to carbonated soft drinks as Pop, I think of Dad. :)

In the midwest we call the sprinkles jimmies as well. However call soda Pop.

Here's a good breakdown of the most common names used in the parts of the US.

kielsoda.003.jpg

I asked for iced tea in Halifax once. They served me iced tea so heavy with sugar I thought I would choke. I eat almost no sugar and it was awful. I was reluctant to 'complain' as they brought what I ordered.

In the US that is what is called Sweet Tea so I would have been surprised as well. It's good to know that since my husband is an iced tea drinker and Halifax is one of our stops. We will be sure to specify "unsweetened" tea now.

In the US that is what is called Sweet Tea so I would have been surprised as well. It's good to know that since my husband is an iced tea drinker and Halifax is one of our stops. We will be sure to specify "unsweetened" tea now.

In many parts of the South, you'll also get a teeth-achingly sweetened tea if you just order iced tea (or as we say, "ice tea"). Best to ask for "unsweetened tea" if you don't want it that way.

(And for those who would like just a normal amount of sugar, I've found it works well to order half sweet and half unsweetened. Of course, that can make refills problematic....)

Re soda: I remember growing up in South Georgia being asked if I would like a "Co-cola" (short for Coca-cola and generic for soda/pop).

Edited by cruisemom42

Sure did. That question was on the first test I took on Facebook, but not on the one I took today, so there are other questions that key right in on Long Island. Both tests didn't put me just in the NE, but right on the LI/NYC area.

I don't know the source of that map but I never called carbonated soft drinks soda..... we in the Boston area grew up calling it tonic.

I believe it's from the http://www.popvssoda.com/ map which people can input their personal preference for what it's called. It's been around forever. It does not work for me in the office though so I cannot confirm what it shows right now.

A propos of ice cream, I wait until the really good flavors show up. I can easily pass on vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. But when cinnamon shows up, I'm there!

As for jimmies v. sprinkles or soda v. pop, try this on for size:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

CINNAMON??? Oh my.... :eek: That sounds soooo good!

I'm loving the conversation about different ways people say things, by the way. I grew up in California, lived near DC, in southern Virginia, in Kentucky and now Alabama! I've heard a lot of different ways people say things. I find it very interesting. ;)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I don't know the source of that map but I never called carbonated soft drinks soda..... we in the Boston area grew up calling it tonic. .

Years ago I had a good friend from Boston, and the first time I heard her say "tonic" I had no idea what she was talking about. :D She also called spaghetti sauce "gravy", is that the word all Bostonians use?

We were fellow Navy wives, living in CA, and even though I met many people from all over the country, this fascinated me. :D

Growing up in WA state, I always said "pop" until I met and married DH, from the South, and we moved all over the country with the Navy. Now I never know what will come out of my mouth. Kind of a mix of everything! :rolleyes:

In Iowa all my relatives say " pop" . In California , it is soda or soft drinks.

Very interesting - thanks for sharing.

Years ago I had a good friend from Boston, and the first time I heard her say "tonic" I had no idea what she was talking about. :D She also called spaghetti sauce "gravy", is that the word all Bostonians use?

<snip>

Actually, yes......

Some Italian Americans in our area will call spaghetti sauce gravy.

We were watching an episode of "Sopranos' the other night and I think we heard someone refer to the sauce as 'gravy.

I've heard some really great Italian cooks call their red sauce gravy.

Edited by sail7seas

Actually, yes......

Some Italian Americans in our area will call spaghetti sauce gravy.

We were watching an episode of "Sopranos' the other night and I think we heard someone refer to the sauce as 'gravy.

I've heard some really great Italian cooks call their red sauce gravy.

That explains it, they were Italian! (at least I know her DH was) Thanks.:)

I grew up in Connecticut, went to school in Boston, lived most of my life in New York and retired to Tennessee so I have gone through life figuring out:

Hoagie/hero/sub/grinder

frappe/milk shake/malted/sundae

pop/soda

etc.