Shorts?

Rallytime1975

[quote name='keithm']Actually, the rest of the ship IS at least smart casual. Shorts really are not permited at night. It's just the staff is too chicken to confront those with slovenly taste.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but that changed about five years ago, shorts are allowed everywhere on the ship except for most of the restaurants and they request no shorts in the theater. The rest of the ship you are allowed to wear whatever you wish, this was written in the dress code but was removed at least five years ago.

[quote name='gek']Oh, I agree with you. I just know some people (older gents mostly) who would debate that smart shorts could be considered smart-casual. A lot of younger women would also consider shorts to be smart casual. I disagree with them.[/QUOTE]

The thing is it's not our interpretation, it's Celebrity's. Most people on Celebrity abide by the dress code. Of course you can always see exceptions. Most of them must be the people that come to the boards trying to convince others to join them. I feel sorry for people who come here to ask questions and then when they get on the ship might feel out of place because of what someone told them here.

[quote name='bar_20']Except on HAL you have the formal oxygen tank option.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I think that the main difference in demographics is that Celebrity draws more from a more eastern upscale demographic. HAL is more midwestern upscale. Celebrity wins for me for one reason. More restrictions on smoking areas.

[quote name='Ma Bell']The thing is it's not our interpretation, it's Celebrity's. Most people on Celebrity abide by the dress code. Of course you can always see exceptions. Most of them must be the people that come to the boards trying to convince others to join them. I feel sorry for people who come here to ask questions and then when they get on the ship might feel out of place because of what someone told them here.[/QUOTE]

On the other hand some answering questions are trying to convince people there are rules that don't exist.

[quote name='Charles4515']No, it is not fancy. Dress is very casual. Link below is picture of the Brunch on Equinox.

[URL]http://chasfotos.smugmug.com/Travel/Mediterranean-Cruise-2013-Cele/i-wdV2QQr/A[/URL][/quote]

Thanks for sharing the photos of the Equinox with us. Me and DH are sailing on her in December.

It will be his first cruise and it's 11 days...I am hoping he will love it.

I sailed once years ago on NCL Spirit and I had a great time. I know Celebrity will be different from NCL but the Equinox and her itinerary 'spoke' to me.

[quote name='dkjretired']Sorry but that changed about five years ago, shorts are allowed everywhere on the ship except for most of the restaurants and they request no shorts in the theater. The rest of the ship you are allowed to wear whatever you wish, this was written in the dress code but was removed at least five years ago.[/QUOTE]
After being on the Eclipse (Jan.25 trip)You really saw no shorts hardly at all after 6PM. The ship does longer trips(which we like)I think since the demographic for that ship is older(a lot older than us,by the way)I think the pax still stick to the more formal style of dress(which is TOTALLY fine by us!)

[quote name='keithm']After being on the Eclipse (Jan.25 trip)You really saw no shorts hardly at all after 6PM. The ship does longer trips(which we like)I think since the demographic for that ship is older(a lot older than us,by the way)I think the pax still stick to the more formal style of dress(which is TOTALLY fine by us!)[/QUOTE]

I agree with you and Ma Bell, most of the people on Celebrity conform to the dress code and do not change into shorts. The point I was making was to the poster who said it was a rule that the dress code was for the evening on the ship. As I stated in my earlier post, that rule was removed several years ago, I believe when Celebrity went from having the three types of night time dress to the current two.

[quote name='dkjretired']I agree with you and Ma Bell, most of the people on Celebrity conform to the dress code and do not change into shorts. The point I was making was to the poster who said it was a rule that the dress code was for the evening on the ship. As I stated in my earlier post, that rule was removed several years ago, I believe when Celebrity went from having the three types of night time dress to the current two.[/QUOTE]

I agree also. I will add that personally I would feel out of place wearing shorts after dinner in the bars and lounges. Some people can disassociate and are not bothered by being the odd man out. I can't.

[quote name='Charles4515']On the other hand some answering questions are trying to convince people there are rules that don't exist.[/QUOTE]

That just counterbalances those who answer trying to convince people there AREN'T rules which actually DO exist! ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

[quote name='iancal']If it is warm in the evening, you will sometimes find us in shorts on the top deck of a Celebrity ship. And quite possibly eating dinner on the outside deck of the buffet.[/QUOTE]

It really is lovely to be there on one of those evenings.

[quote name='Ma Bell']It really is lovely to be there on one of those evenings.[/QUOTE]

That is where you will probably find us. After dinner it sounds like th perfect spot to enjoy an after dinner drink and enjoy the view. How late is the sunset bar open in the evening on Reflection? Sorry to hijack a bit :)

[quote name='foodgirl']That is where you will probably find us. After dinner it sounds like th perfect spot to enjoy an after dinner drink and enjoy the view. How late is the sunset bar open in the evening on Reflection? Sorry to hijack a bit :)[/quote]

If there are folks outside the bar will be open;)...you can also sit
outside even if the bar is closed. I would say at least midnight.

[quote name='Lois R']If there are folks outside the bar will be open;)...you can also sit
outside even if the bar is closed. I would say at least midnight.[/QUOTE]

Works for me! Can't wait to take in that view.

We have been on numerous Celebrity cruises, and others for that matter. Don't sweat the details. Just go and enjoy that fabulous ship. I have not worn shorts in the MDR in the evening, and probably not in the theatre. But I have worn them everywhere else.

We often skip formal evening in the MDR in favour of a dinner on the back deck or a bite in the bistro. What we have noticed on our last few Celebrity cruises is that even on formal evenings there seem to more and more men with just a jacket and open collared shirt. These were Med, TA, and Xmas cruises. This is fine with us. We are not the type to get our shirts in a knot if someone is not wearing a tie.

[quote name='iancal']We have been on numerous Celebrity cruises, and others for that matter. Don't sweat the details. Just go and enjoy that fabulous ship. I have not worn shorts in the MDR in the evening, and probably not in the theatre. But I have worn them everywhere else.

We often skip formal evening in the MDR in favour of a dinner on the back deck or a bite in the bistro. What we have noticed on our last few Celebrity cruises is that even on formal evenings there seem to more and more men with just a jacket and open collared shirt. These were Med, TA, and Xmas cruises. This is fine with us. We are not the type to get our shirts in a knot if someone is not wearing a tie.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like us. We typically ate in the Lido (buffet) on formal night and hung out on the back deck (sea view bar) or went to catch a movie on formal nights. DH doesn't worry about it but I am a rule follower so I try to make sure what we do is ok. I am always more dressed than him in the evening but in fairness maxi dresses and a sandals are easier than suit and tie for him. ;)

We are retired. We typically combine a cruise with an extended land trip.

We just did a land trip to Asia. First time that we have both travelled with carry on-no checked luggage.

DW did not think that she could do it but she did. It was so liberating.

I doubt that we can go back now. This will ultimately determine our dress code on future trips that include a cruise. Edited by iancal

Fact: Shorts are not allowed in the MDR or any specialty restaurant at night

Fact: The theatre is smart-casual every night (which presumably means no shorts although this is debatable)

There is nothing in Celebrity's dress code that says shorts are banned at any other time or place. Anything anyone says to the contrary is just personal opinion OR a result of a particular ship trying to enforce their own interpretation of the dress code.

We have been on numerous Celebrity cruises, and others for that matter. Don't sweat the details. Just go and enjoy that fabulous ship. I have not worn shorts in the MDR in the evening, and probably not in the theatre. But I have worn them everywhere else.

We often skip formal evening in the MDR in favour of a dinner on the back deck or a bite in the bistro. What we have noticed on our last few Celebrity cruises is that even on formal evenings there seem to more and more men with just a jacket and open collared shirt. These were Med, TA, and Xmas cruises. This is fine with us. We are not the type to get our shirts in a knot if someone is not wearing a tie.

Yep, I'm 59 and live in shorts most of the summer - except when they're not appropriate! Would never consider going to a nice restaurant here in Texas in shorts and will not be seen in the MDR or theater in shorts on the cruise. We'll generally leave our dinner attire on for the rest of the evening onboard, we enjoy getting dressed up! But the rest of the day, every day, will almost certainly be shorts, when we're not in swimsuits! :)

I agree also. I will add that personally I would feel out of place wearing shorts after dinner in the bars and lounges. Some people can disassociate and are not bothered by being the odd man out. I can't.

As good ol' lonesome George Gobel used to say.."Ever feel the world is a tuxedo & you're a pair of brown shoes?"

Shorts for men and cropped pants for women are so much the attire of choice on board, even in Alaska, that we feel over dressed in long pants .

Not on the cruises we go on.

C'mon everyone, let's be big boys after 5 and wear your long pants, everywhere on the ship. Not such a big deal - you have to put on some kind of pants any way.