Shorts?

Rallytime1975

...I honestly don't think except for a few who post on Cruise Critic most passengers (don't) think much about what others are wearing....

So true! We have been on twenty-four cruises and other than hearing an occasional compliment, we have never heard negative remarks about what others choose to wear.

Yes, the gym/spa area is also open after 6pm so you'll see evening exercisers walking to/from in casual clothing. I'm glad they got rid of the dress code shipwide because not everyone is on the same schedule for dining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is so true. We all keep different schedules. One thing I am excited about is being able to use the hot tubs or pools later in the evening. We eat very early so that will be nice some nights. They were always closed early on HAL for the most part which I never understood.

Hi there - we travelled with 17 of our friends and so we saw it from all angles. We were in Select dining. First, LOTS of shorts the first night (to be expected.) A couple of nights, a few of my firends were asked to go back and get pants on before entering the main dining room.

On formal night, after a loooong day in port, one of the people in our group wore jeans and a polo shirt to dinner and was NOT turned away. Since he was sitting amongst friends I assume that he didn't feel awkward but jeans and a shortsleeve shirt is what he had on. It was boiling hot in the dining room so all the other men in our party took their sport coats off immediately before sitting down at the table. Most of them had short sleeves underneath as well.

Not ONE of the men in our party wore a tie on formal night.

Looking around the dining room (on my level only) I saw ONE tux. Most were in sprots coats and most without a tie.

Finally, we all went back to our rooms to change into shorts before the show (the comedian and hypnotist) and no one was ever questioned.

The clothes police on CC will make you believe that the entire employee base of Celebrity is out to montior the clothing of all passengers at all times. I did not see this to be the case. There were signs posted about attire and there were mentions in the daily newsletter but other than that, it was really just fine. When the members of my group were questioned about their shorts it was in a very nice way and easily remedied.

Enjoy yourself!

Interesting, just today I saw a USAToday article that RCL is considering doing away with the MDR concept and formal nights in general towards smaller scale dining with formal dress codes on the new Anthem of the Seas. This seems like a much more logical solution and I'd bet this will be seen on other ships soon.

Interesting, just today I saw a USAToday article that RCL is considering doing away with the MDR concept and formal nights in general towards smaller scale dining with formal dress codes on the new Anthem of the Seas. This seems like a much more logical solution and I'd bet this will be seen on other ships soon.

I think its a stretch to say that they're "doing away with" formal nights, if I read your post correctly. The new dining on the Quantum (and Anthem to follow) is called "Dynamic Dining" and the primary premise is 4 smaller venues replacing the MDR. Each of the 4 (plus a 5th for suite guests only) will be complementary and each will have a different type of menu. 4 of the 5 will be "smart casual" dress code with one - The Grande - having an enforced formal dress code EVERY night. I'm sure "formal" doesn't mean tux, but probably coat/tie minimum. Seems to be a smart attempt to appeal to all, those who like formal nights as well as those opposed.

I think its a stretch to say that they're "doing away with" formal nights, if I read your post correctly. The new dining on the Quantum (and Anthem to follow) is called "Dynamic Dining" and the primary premise is 4 smaller venues replacing the MDR. Each of the 4 (plus a 5th for suite guests only) will be complementary and each will have a different type of menu. 4 of the 5 will be "smart casual" dress code with one - The Grande - having an enforced formal dress code EVERY night. I'm sure "formal" doesn't mean tux, but probably coat/tie minimum. Seems to be a smart attempt to appeal to all, those who like formal nights as well as those opposed.

Agree that it is a stretch that they are getting away from formal dress code, here is the link to the press release and the thread we had on this board last week.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2015633

Looks like something I have been advocating for years - formal nights as opt-in events with a dedicated restaurant. I imagine they will still have "cruise elegant" theme nights for those who want to waltz around the ship in their finery, but this will be optional.

Looks like something I have been advocating for years - formal nights as opt-in events with a dedicated restaurant. I imagine they will still have "cruise elegant" theme nights for those who want to waltz around the ship in their finery, but this will be optional.

Not a theme night at all, rather one of 4 smaller main dining venues, which will require formal attire every night. Yes, it will be optional, you can do it anywhere from 0 nights to 7 nights on a 7 night cruise. The other 3 main venues will be "smart casual" dress code every night.

Tweeted by Gene Sloan. But what does he know?

Will more Royal Caribbean ships drop traditional dining?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/03/27/royal-caribbean-quantum-dining/6953499/

I guess technically speaking, they are eliminating "formal night" because with the new system, individual cruisers can pick their own formal nights, and pick how many they wish to have. So there will no longer be specific formal nights, but every night will see some passengers formally attired, as they choose to go to dinner at The Grande.

Following the stated rules is (should be at least) required - doing more than that is optional! Nothing in the rules about formal dress throughout the ship AFTER dinner. The ones who are the real oafs are those who insist they're going to wear casual shorts, t-shirts and flip flops to the dining room on formal night because ITS MY VACATION AND I PAID FOR IT!!" :rolleyes: I've seen absolutely nothing like that in this thread at all. Again, enjoy! :)

The Boston guy would dress that way

I don't think it is a stretch to say they are doing away with formal nights on Quantum and Anthem. It will only be formal dining inside the Grande restaurant and that will be every night for that venue. I expect they will enforce a dress code inside the Grande. As they sent in an email to me.....there are no required formal nights.

Edited by Charles4515

Not a theme night at all, rather one of 4 smaller main dining venues, which will require formal attire every night. Yes, it will be optional, you can do it anywhere from 0 nights to 7 nights on a 7 night cruise. The other 3 main venues will be "smart casual" dress code every night.

Understood, but I imagine some people will still want a special night to dress up and cruise around the ship. Do people really want to dress formally just to eat a meal?

Understood, but I imagine some people will still want a special night to dress up and cruise around the ship. Do people really want to dress formally just to eat a meal?

Realistically nothing is changing much in that regard. DW and I will likely stay dressed up for the rest of the evening - and we won't be the only ones. But a lot who begrudgingly dress for dinner on formal nights already go back to their cabins & change right after dinner already.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I had read the dress code at the X website. My DH always wears (nice) t-shirts for breakfast or lunch in the MDR. I was worried that might not be allowed on X.

i just verified with the website (but I assume that X enforces the dress code about as well as any other cruise line :eek:)

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants
at any time
Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch
. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

However, further up in the FAQ, there is no mention of shorts being acceptable as daytime wear :eek:

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

There is a dress code at night:

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks. Only required in the Main Restaurant on formal evenings.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass guests, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all time onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

Many in our group of 19 wore t-shirts (nice ones under sport coats but also alone) to both specialty restaurants and MDR last week on the Summit.

They were enforcing shorts but not not T-shirts ... Just sayin'

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Many in our group of 19 wore t-shirts (nice ones under sport coats but also alone) to both specialty restaurants and MDR last week on the Summit.

And many people last week drove faster than the speed limit but didn't get caught. Didn't make it right... Just sayin'

However, further up in the FAQ, there is no mention of shorts being acceptable as daytime wear :eek:

Also no mention of them being banned either.

No need to worry. If they tried to ban shorts during the day there would be a riot.

Edited by gek

Also no mention of them being banned either.

No need to worry. If they tried to ban shorts during the day there would be a riot.

Shorts are fine during the day. It's those with no taste or style who wear them at night in the MDR. Hey, if it's fine on Carnival, then do Carnival. It's not fine on Celebrity. At night a dress shirt(or even a decent polo) & khaki type pants are ok. On formal night you should have at least a sport coat with your dress shirt & khakis. A tie, though not required makes a nice statement. On Youtube,I watched a 30 min. video of a couple on the Eclipse. I wanted to get a feel of a trip on Celebrity.They highlighted the food each night. Personally, I thought the food looked terrible. It turned out the couple didn't want to dress properly, so they dined everynight(except 1)in the Ocean view Cafe. What a waste!! If you can't dress well enough to gain admittance to the dining room, then my suggestion is either stay home or choose a line that caters to poor dress codes. You never need a tie on Oceania, but that couple would never be permitted to dine in any of their restaurants due to the fact that the guy just couldn't wear anything but shorts. On the Eclipse it was a was a 14 day trip. Really, just one night the guy wore long pants (and pretty bad Hawaiian style shirt). Such a shame they missed the great food & opted for cheap banquet type food, just so they didn't have to dress properly.BosJoe, thank God you at LEAST don't wear flip flops in the dining room. I guess not all gays know how to dress properly.

10 points if you have any idea who that guy is!

"I can't take the way he sings, but I love to hear him talk"

Double or nothing if you know what that's from.

It's Spike Jones.

You went on a cruise knowing what the dress code was for formal night. So you don't own a tux, no problem, wear a suit. You don't own a suit, no problem, wear a sports coat. You don't have a sports coat, wear a shirt and tie. If all you have in your wardrobe is a t-shirt, go to the buffet. Have a little self respect -- You embarrassed the dining room staff, and they didn't embarrass you. Just sayin'