Mystery Dinner Royal Caribbean?

becci19

Hey everyone,

I haven't heard much about it, but I came across a review of the Radiance of the Seas which mentioned this mystery dinner onboard..

Does anyone know if RCI do this on all their voyages? Especially on Radiance of the Seas? And how do I go about booking it??

Thank you :)

Becci

We went to a murder-mystery evening on an RCI ship (?Vision?) a year or two ago.

Gotta say we were very disappointed. Partly because we'd done one on Discovery a year or two earlier, & that was excellent.

Put on by the ship's entertainment team. You're given the background by the compere & characters, then you head for dinner in one of the speciality restaurants set aside for the event. The plot develops & the body of the unfortunate character is discovered. In true Agatha Christie style, each character has a motive & an opportunity to commit the dreadful deed. They walk round the tables answering your questions, & you then have to decide which is the felon.

On Discovery we had to decide on who was responsible and why, and the murder turned out to be a joint effort by a couple of the characters. The clues were all there, but so were clues which suggested others were responsible. We were all so hooked that the waiters bringing our dinner were a hindrance - we felt like saying "skip the dinner & bring us some sandwiches, we're busy" :D

One very worthy winner.

Not me.:rolleyes:

On RCI the acting was very amateur (though I guess that varies) & the plot was incredibly thin.

More important the clues were so easy that over half the participants got the right character (not us, we'd thought it was so obvious that there must be something deeper), and the winner was drawn out of a hat.

More of a raffle than a piece of sleuthing.

Mebbe it's better now.

It needs to be.

Booking is the same as booking a ship's excursion.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks heaps for the info! I hope they do it on my sailing. Was the only price for the speciality restaurant?? And how did you book it?

Wow, you came back quickly :D

- while I was editing to add the booking arrangements to my post.;)

If it's available on your ship it should be on your cruise personaliser or somesuch, we booked ahead of the cruise.

It was certainly more expensive than just booking the speciality restaurant, I vaguely recall it might have included bottomless house wine.

We were arranged on long shared tables, a dozen or more per table. So there was a fair degree of co-operation on the table, though theoretically it was an individual effort.

Oooops. I've just been corrected by her-indoors. :rolleyes:

Ours was on a Princess ship.:o

But the set-up for all murder-mysteries (on a ship or a land venue) is broadly the same.

Edited by John Bull

Ha, sorry I beat you to edit it.. Was still looking around on cruise critic when your reply popped up.. :p

Thank you so much for the information! It sounds like a lot of fun. I am going on a 18 night transpacific later in the year so would love something fun and different to do one night. Will definitely look for it on the personaliser before hand! :)

We went to a murder-mystery evening on an RCI ship (?Vision?) a year or two ago.

Gotta say we were very disappointed. Partly because we'd done one on Discovery a year or two earlier, & that was excellent.

Put on by the ship's entertainment team. You're given the background by the compere & characters, then you head for dinner in one of the speciality restaurants set aside for the event. The plot develops & the body of the unfortunate character is discovered. In true Agatha Christie style, each character has a motive & an opportunity to commit the dreadful deed. They walk round the tables answering your questions, & you then have to decide which is the felon.

On Discovery we had to decide on who was responsible and why, and the murder turned out to be a joint effort by a couple of the characters. The clues were all there, but so were clues which suggested others were responsible. We were all so hooked that the waiters bringing our dinner were a hindrance - we felt like saying "skip the dinner & bring us some sandwiches, we're busy" :D

One very worthy winner.

Not me.:rolleyes:

On RCI the acting was very amateur (though I guess that varies) & the plot was incredibly thin.

More important the clues were so easy that over half the participants got the right character (not us, we'd thought it was so obvious that there must be something deeper), and the winner was drawn out of a hat.

More of a raffle than a piece of sleuthing.

Mebbe it's better now.

It needs to be.

Booking is the same as booking a ship's excursion.

Have got to agree.. Did the mystery Dinner a few years ago on Mariner and it was so so at best, but the meal after in Portofino was great, and yes it was bottomless wine. happy cruising

I haven't seen advertisements for the Murder Mystery Dinner on my last few RCI cruises. I'm not sure they still do it.

However, there was a Prohibition Party, so that may have replaced it.

I can't speak for the Radiance, but we have reservations for the Mystery Dinner on AOS in 2 weeks. Not sure how well they are advertised (as such). I'm pretty sure I found it under the Dining Reservations and Specialty Restaurants section of My Cruises.

I can't speak for the Radiance, but we have reservations for the Mystery Dinner on AOS in 2 weeks. Not sure how well they are advertised (as such). I'm pretty sure I found it under the Dining Reservations and Specialty Restaurants section of My Cruises.

Thanks, I will be sure to look in the Dining Reservations and Specialty Restaurants section of My Cruises too then when it gets closer! Thank you :) :)