Maasdam or Veendam

lstrong

Maasdam, for many reasons.

Although the ships started life as twins, the Veendam has been changed over the years, and not for the better. You can no longer sit by an aft pool and enjoy the view as you sail down river on the Veendam. There is no aft pool, and the view has been blocked by a very high mound holding hot tubs.

There are more lanai cabins on the Veendam, so there is less public sitting space on Lower Promenade. Many more loungers are reserved for people in the cabins there.

The Maasdam starts or ends in Montreal, which is easier to get to/from for most of us; Quebec City (lovely as it is) does not have great air service from the US. Montreal is also a great city in which to spend some pre- or post-cruise days.

We love Maasdam but sailed Veendam in August because of her one week special itinerary and were pleasantly surprised to still enjoy that ship despite the mess they made of the stern. She has a wonderful crew, the ship was in better condition than we expected and would sail her again. The food was actually about the best we have had on any of our recent cruises and we had terrific service. All the mechanicals in our cabin as well as our friends' with whom we were sailing cabin worked fine the whole cruise.

The overnight in Quebec City is fabulous IMO

Edited by sail7seas

We've cruised on both...will be on Maasdam on 1/27 for another 11 days.

Having said that, we like both ships...although I'm not a fan of the debacle on the stern of the Veendam...in her favor, the crew was top notch, the food better than on most of our HAL cruises, and the décor lovely.

I'd go by itinerary...whichever works best for you.

While itinerary is important - I think that the ship can be too. Far prefer the Maasdam (personal preference) over the offer. Refer RuthC's comments.

Although some cruises on the Veendam have been good - there have been others not so - not to be a negative nilly - but I would be sailing on the Maasdam. Love that ship and going back.

While itinerary is important - I think that the ship can be too. Far prefer the Maasdam (personal preference) over the offer. Refer RuthC's comments.

Although some cruises on the Veendam have been good - there have been others not so - not to be a negative nilly - but I would be sailing on the Maasdam. Love that ship and going back.

We prefer the Maasdam, too, because of the untouched Sea View Pool...so given the New England/Canada itineraries are so similar, I would do the Maasdam as well. Heck, that's what we're doing on our upcoming cruise! ;)

However, if one itinerary were way better than another, then that would be my preference.

Edited by innlady1

Veendam and Maasdam both have the same dining, lounge, and showroom seating capacity but Veendam (after the re-fit) now carried 92 more passengers than Maasdam -- 1,350 on Veendam, 1,258 on Maasdam.

As a result, Veendam will feel more crowded. :(

Go with Maasdam, that's my opinion.

Maasdam, for many reasons.

Although the ships started life as twins, the Veendam has been changed over the years, and not for the better. You can no longer sit by an aft pool and enjoy the view as you sail down river on the Veendam. There is no aft pool, and the view has been blocked by a very high mound holding hot tubs.

There are more lanai cabins on the Veendam, so there is less public sitting space on Lower Promenade. Many more loungers are reserved for people in the cabins there.

I was originally a little concerned about the fact that I'm on the Veendam after so many people say they don't like it as much. But the feedback everyone provides as to why gives me reason to think it will not affect me since I am going to be in a lanai and have one of the reserved loungers on the lower promenade. I'm not a pool person so I'm also not concerned about the aft pool or view from the poolside.

Good things to take into consideration when choosing. I didn't know anything about either ship when I booked. i'm looking forward to an overnight in Quebec City and didn't have any problems getting a flight into Quebec, there appear to be mulitple flights per day leaving from Newark to Quebec (YQB) and we're on the first one.

We took the train from Montreal to Quebec City and stayed a few extra days before boarding the Veendam. There is so much to see, do and taste in QC that I would suggest Veendam. We sailed in mid-September and it was too chilly (IMHO) to be out on the decks or our balcony most of the time.

We were in a Neptune Suite, right under the Lido deck--every morning around 6 am the deck hands would start dragging chairs around overhead. DH didn't notice but it drove me nuts.