Port in Rome distance to Airport

MPSCru

I will be arriving at 5am into Rome's port and I need to know if I can make it to the airport for a 11:15 am flight home. Anyone experience this type of timeline. First time in Rome for us. Thanks for your help. Mike

A little reading on the board would reveal 11am is the earliest recommended time for a flight out of Rome. If you are on a direct flight to the US, 11:15 is going to be tight, but doable.

Be aware getting in at 5am doesn't mean getting off at 5:05. We docked at 4:45, nobody left the ship until 7:15.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about a 1.5 hour drive from the airport...

No one leaves ship till it is cleared which is usually around about 8am

90 minutes from the port to the airport would be unusually long; FCO is only 40 miles from the port and all but about three of those miles are on the highway.

While it is true that the ship must be cleared, there is no "usual" amount of time for this to happen. There are too many variables that come into play, and lots of cruisers recount getting off well before 8 AM.

We did this itinerary last summer and decided to go from the port to Rome, spend an additional night in Rome, then leave the following day for our flight back to the U.S. Our ship came in on time and they do a great job of getting everyone off the ship in a timely manner. We thought about trying to make the flight on the same day this June, when we will again be leaving out of Civitevechhia, but decided it was so nice to get back to Rome early, be able to have a last leisurely day and not be frantic to get to the airport for our flight. It really is a nice treat to have that final day and evening in Rome. We had a snag with a lost piece of luggage on one of our cruises. Had we been trying to make a flight, we would have missed it. It took them 90 minutes to find the lost piece of luggage. Just something to think about.

I will be arriving at 5am into Rome's port and I need to know if I can make it to the airport for a 11:15 am flight home. Anyone experience this type of timeline. First time in Rome for us. Thanks for your help. Mike

Depends which ship you are on but some offers self disembarkation meaning you can be among the first to get off the ship taking your luggage with you as soon as its cleared.

I have been off a ship in Civitavecchia as early as 630 am and at the airport as early at 730 am making a 10 am flight.

The drive to the airport - all depending on traffic - will take you 40-50 minutes.

Its doable but might be a bit tight.

For intercontinental flights I think you must be checked in 3 hrs before???

For intercontinental flights I think you must be checked in 3 hrs before???

I'm not sure if different airlines have different policies but your ticket should provide information on the time you MUST check in by. For me (flying Delta or Alitalia) it's always been stated that you must be checked in 90 minutes prior to the flight. (However, that can also include checking in online.)

However, that doesn't mean that 90 minutes is all you need. I consider 2.5 hours a minimum time to arrive at the terminal, and 3 hours is probably better at a busy time of day for international flights.

I'm sailing from Rome in July of this year; it was recommended that we use the train from the airport to the ship. Is this a good idea? Our flight lands at 10:45 the morning we depart. Is customs/security bad at FCO? This is my first international trip in 10 years.

I'm sailing from Rome in July of this year; it was recommended that we use the train from the airport to the ship. Is this a good idea? Our flight lands at 10:45 the morning we depart. Is customs/security bad at FCO? This is my first international trip in 10 years.

The train is an option but you need to be fully comfortable dealing with your luggage.

The train station at the airport is located in a parking garage connected to the terminals by a passageway that can be reached by escalator or elevator.

There are two or three steps getting onto and off of the trains; once on the train there is no specific place for luggage other than overhead racks, which can only handle relatively small bags. These are regional trains, so they do not have the end-of-car luggage racks that the longer haul trains do.

If this hasn't scared you off of the idea, here's how you get to the port by train from FCO airport:

• Purchase your ticket at the airport train station, validate the ticket by stamping it in one of the machines on the platform
  • Board an FL1 train (Orte/Fara Sabina)
  • Exit the FL1 train at Roma Trastevere (the 7th stop)
  • Change trains at Trastevere to an FL5 train to Civitavecchia
  • Exit the FL5 train at Civitavecchia (the number of stops varies by train - listen for Marina di Cerveteri and San Marinella, the last two stops before Civitavecchia)
  • Walk from the train station to the port (four-tenths of a mile), where a port shuttle bus will take you to your ship

Note that at Civitavecchia you will need to climb down a flight of stairs and back up the other side if your train arrives at any track other than the first one. There are no elevators at this station.

The train portion of this trip takes about an hour and a half and there are two departures each hour from the airport.

I would assume one hour after landing before you are leaving the airport and heading to the train station, so you should be able to make either the 11:42 or the 12:12 train, which puts in you in Civitavecchia at either 1:13 or 2 PM. The walk to the shuttle bus at the port will take another 10 - 15 minutes.

Map of the regional train lines can be found here: http://atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

Edited by euro cruiser

The train is an option but you need to be fully comfortable dealing with your luggage.

• Purchase your ticket at the airport train station, validate the ticket by stamping it in one of the machines on the platform
  • Board an FL1 train (Orte/Fara Sabina)
  • Exit the FL1 train at Roma Trastevere (the 7th stop)
  • Change trains at Trastevere to an FL5 train to Civitavecchia
  • Exit the FL5 train at Civitavecchia (the number of stops varies by train - listen for Marina di Cerveteri and San Marinella, the last two stops before Civitavecchia)
  • Walk from the train station to the port (four-tenths of a mile), where a port shuttle bus will take you to your ship

Note that at Civitavecchia you will need to climb down a flight of stairs and back up the other side if your train arrives at any track other than the first one. There are no elevators at this station.

The train portion of this trip takes about an hour and a half and there are two departures each hour from the airport.

I would assume one hour after landing before you are leaving the airport and heading to the train station, so you should be able to make either the 11:42 or the 12:12 train, which puts in you in Civitavecchia at either 1:13 or 2 PM. The walk to the shuttle bus at the port will take another 10 - 15 minutes.

Map of the regional train lines can be found here: http://atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

Is this faster/cheaper than a taxi?

Is this faster/cheaper than a taxi?

It is not faster, but it IS much cheaper if you are only 1 or 2 people.

Taking the train to Civitavecchia from Rome and vice versa is not that tough. However even as a dedicated DIY-er, I try to look for another option (such as joining a small group and getting a private vehicle) when getting to the airport from Civitavecchia or vice versa, due to the lack of a direct train and the extra time that entails.

With a private transfer, you can get from the airport to Civitavecchia in 50-60 minutes normally.

Edited by cruisemom42

Total travel time is at least two hours by train which is more than twice as long as it would take by taxi.

Train fare is 11 Euro vs. a fixed taxi fare of 120 Euro.

Rome taxi fares here: http://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resources/cms/documents/tariffario_taxi_luglio_2012.pdf

Do you normally tip people who help you in Italy? I was told that it's not normal in Europe to tip.

Do you know if the signs are in English as well as Italian? I only speak English (my wife speaks Russian) and I know a few words of Italian, but not nearly enough to ask for help.

Do you normally tip people who help you in Italy? I was told that it's not normal in Europe to tip.

Do you know if the signs are in English as well as Italian? I only speak English (my wife speaks Russian) and I know a few words of Italian, but not nearly enough to ask for help.

Covered extensively around the boards. Italians tip a small amount, less than 10%. But they have come to expect Americans to be big tippers.

Many signs will be in English and Italian, but far from all.

Be a little cautious about people who "help" you with luggage. Unfortunately they'll often demand an excessive fee (10+ euros), or in the worse case scenario take off with your luggage. If you're going to use public transportation you really need to be able to handle your own luggage.

As for taxi drivers or arranged transfers in Italy you'll normally "round up", but as already mentioned most drivers are coming to expect a larger tip from Americans.

If you are speaking of the train or taxi....

On the train, there is no one to offer help (e.g., no porters). You must load and store your own luggage. If anyone DOES offer to help, be very wary, they may be looking to lighten your load and/or will demand a large sum for any help they offer you.

For taxis, in Italy it is most common to simply round up the fare slight in lieu of a tip. So if your fare is 38 euro, you might give the driver 40. If they offer significant assistance with baggage, a little more -- say a euro per bag.

If traveling around on your own, it's always a good idea to familiarize yourself with a few Italian words. Definitely know the Italian name of the place you are headed for -- for example, San Pietro not St. Peter's. Or if headed to Florence, know that it is Firenze.

Some other good words to know:

Binario = track (as in which one your train will be on)

Biglietto = ticket (which in many cases needs to be validated by stamping it before you get on the train)

Scopiero = strike (a word that strikes terror into the hearts of American train travelers, although despite all the hype they are actually pretty uncommon)

Fermata = stop (as in, know which one is yours). You can ask "Quale fermata?" piteously if you don't know which stop it is and someone will tell you.

:D

Edited by cruisemom42