Shoes?

emmasmomma11

My family and I are leaving on the Victory on the 17th next month and it's our first time cruising. We are going to Grand Turk Half Moon Cay and Nassau and I was wondering what kind of shoes does everyone pack? Silly question I know, but I'm a flip flop lover and really don't like to wear tennis shoes. I plan on doing some walking in Nassau, but is there a lot of walking in the other two ports? I read that you can go exploring on HMC and would like to go check that out. Can you check out anywhere or just up to certain point? I'mJust trying to know if I would actually use tennis shoes if I packed them, or if it's doable in flip flops. Also what shoes are worn on the formal dinner night? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My family and I are leaving on the Victory on the 17th next month and it's our first time cruising. We are going to Grand Turk Half Moon Cay and Nassau and I was wondering what kind of shoes does everyone pack? Silly question I know, but I'm a flip flop lover and really don't like to wear tennis shoes. I plan on doing some walking in Nassau, but is there a lot of walking in the other two ports? I read that you can go exploring on HMC and would like to go check that out. Can you check out anywhere or just up to certain point? I'mJust trying to know if I would actually use tennis shoes if I packed them, or if it's doable in flip flops. Also what shoes are worn on the formal dinner night? Thanks in advance.

I would bring tennis shoes, simply because some excursions require closed toed shoes and you never know what you might decide to do. Other than that, what ever you are comfortable walking in should be fine.

Walking shoes/ tennis shoes, flip flops for the pool/beach, low/medium heels for formal nights, preferably black. Certain ports the roads are bumpy, and sandy, and open toes will be uncomfortable on long treks. the champion line makes a nice walking shoe that you can purchase at any Payless, some are open back

You will probably want at least three different types of foot gear. For formal nights in the MDR, the same type of shoes or dressy sandals that you would wear to church. For casual wear, and for walking (both on the ship and while in port), it depends on what you're most comfortable with. Tennis shoes or regular sandals. For the beach, when going to the pool, or when going to any type of water related excursion, you may want to consider water shoes, but flip-flops may also work for you. Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are both basically beach days, so you'll be fine with whatever you would normally to most any beach. For Nassau, since you say you don't like wearing tennis shoes, consider sandals that would be good for long periods of walking, and not your standard flip-flops. Hope this helps.:)

I walk all the time in my flip-flops! If you're just going ashore and strolling, and you wear flip flops for that at home, you can do it at your ports! It really depends on what you'll be doing! If you plan on hiking or zip-lining, you will need proper footwear for stuff like that.

Daytimes on the ship is, again, flip-flops! I bring dressy heels for nighttime....I wear heels with my capris, even on "casual" nights. Most just wear sandals of some sort.

You'll be fine with just flip flops.

Here's what I pack(just as an fyi):

-Running shoes which I wear on the plane because I use the fitness center and sometimes go on excursion that require them

-Dressy shoes/sandals/ flip flops for Formal nights (tip: you can dress up a pair of plain flip flops with clip on bling) ;)

-on our upcoming cruise I'll bring a pair of flat closed toe dress shoes because I'm told that I will need them for Chefs Table

-Watershoes because I like to swim and snorkel and some beaches can be rocky.

Can I suggest TEVAs! I used to wear tennis shoes until I found them. I have never worn tennis shoes again on cruises. Whichever you choose to wear, enjoy the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I walk all the time in my flip-flops! If you're just going ashore and strolling, and you wear flip flops for that at home, you can do it at your ports! It really depends on what you'll be doing! If you plan on hiking or zip-lining, you will need proper footwear for stuff like that.

Daytimes on the ship is, again, flip-flops! I bring dressy heels for nighttime....I wear heels with my capris, even on "casual" nights. Most just wear sandals of some sort.

Saved me a lot of typing!

I do not pack "heels" or closed dress shoes anymore

Silver sandals for evenings

Flip-Flops everywhere else, including extensive island touring - some leather but mostly, colorful Walgreen's specials. :D

Note: Some shore activities might require tennis shoes. I keep packing tennies, 12 + cruises and only used them once - scooters in Bermuda

I have seen some bad accidents with older ladies in flip flops. Same with dress heels. I wear Sperry deck shoes, Tevas, and Kitten heels. Wear your heaviest shoes on plane. .

Very good point on tripping......

My feet rarely like closed shoes, and I just do too many "stupids" in heels anymore.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the Tevas on the list! Trying to see if I can get some shipped before this coming Friday......learn something new every day

I bring less and less shoes each cruise. Now I only bring sandals. I bring one pair of black and one gold pair for evenings. A pair of flip flops for pool. A good pair made for walking ( Merrill's). None have heels because on a rocking ship it is already hard to walk without falling. This past cruise I packed in a hurry and accidentally packed only one of each of the evening and pool sandals. We found a Payless shoe store in St Thomas to buy more. Boy did I feel stupid!

I wear flip-flops all summer! Comfortable ones can be walked in for hours! Unless you're hiking in rough terrain, there's no reason you can wear flip-flops into ports, for shopping or sightseeing! I bring shoes for evening (heels) and in the past, I've brought other casual shoes, but tend to stay in the flip-flops!

Edited by cb at sea

I wear flip-flops all summer! Comfortable ones can be walked in for hours! Unless you're hiking in rough terrain, there's no reason you can wear flip-flops into ports, for shopping or sightseeing! I bring shoes for evening (heels) and in the past, I've brought other casual shoes, but tend to stay in the flip-flops!

Me too! And if my feet didn't get so cold, I would wear them in the winter. Almost all of flips-flops are perfect for walking around in. I find tennis shoes to be more uncomfortable for long periods of time. I think my feet just love being free. ;)

Yes! Agree! I have these in several colors and some slip on ones. They're wonderful and dry fast if get wet (which doesn't hurt them). Have even put socks in colder areas. Can walk for hours and the closed toe protects.

I love shoes and found that I brought too many, I brought 6 shoes.

I brought flip flops, dress sandals, glittery fun sandals, daytime closed toe casual flats, black ballet type flats, water shoes.

I used the flip flops a lot on the ships during the day and at the beach when in port, I wore the daytime casual flats for all ports, i used the black ballet flats each evening for dinners I didn't take heels and was perfectly happy about it, (I love wearing heels at home). I liked the water shoes for going in the water at beaches. mine were running shoe type, next time I`d take smaller slip on ones.

Next time I`d take 4 pair

flip flops (for sure take)

daytime closed toe casual flats (or tennis shoes)

black ballet flats

small water shoes or Tevas (If you plan to go in the ocean...so you don`t have to worry about stepping on something)

Tips:

Take shoes that go with all outfits (less is more I promise)

If shoes are uncomfortable at home don`t take them (feet may swell)

People will notice your outfit or jewelry more than your shoes

When in doubt leave it at home

Don`t worry if you bring the wrong thing, there`s shoes stores at ports