Dining Question from RCL Newbie

I have an upcoming cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas, and I have My Time Dining. My question is if I am planning on eating in Chops one night, do I have to cancel the My Time reservation? How does that work exactly?

Thanks!! :)

You don't have to cancel, but it might help others if you do. That would free up your table. You can stop by the MTD desk sometime the same day you're eating at Chops, tell your server the nught before, or just phone them.

I presume if you have a fixed sitting dining time and wish to eat at a speciality dining establishment one evening you don't have to inform the MDR or do you?

Again, I view it as a matter of courtesy. Informing your server that you won't be dining might allow them to start dinner faster for your tablemates, rather than waiting a while for you to show up.

If you have made a standing reservation for a specific time and table, then yes, you should cancel it for the night you visit Chops. They will be holding your table for you, waiting for you to show up for MTD, and making walk-ups wait at the door.

Again, I view it as a matter of courtesy. Informing your server that you won't be dining might allow them to start dinner faster for your tablemates, rather than waiting a while for you to show up.

I had never thought about them holding service for the other diners while they wait for you to arrive but now that I think about it it makes sense. I haven't cruised before so am picking up tips. I will make sure if I intend dining in a speciality establishment one night that I inform the MDR staff I will not be attending so they know not to expect me.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Forums mobile app

Thank you! We'll be sure to cancel our MDR reservation the night we eat in Chops.

I'm confused. Do you have MTD, or Traditional Dining in the MDR? If you have MTD (My Time Dining), why would you call the MDR (Main Dining Room)?

When use use MTD we never have had to wait for others to show up at our table before we were served. With MTD we usually ask for a table for two when we arrive, but have on occassion said we would sit with others if it would mean being seated quicker.

If we asked for a specfic time using MTD, would that mean that we would be sitting with the same people each night? What if we chose a different time each night?

We have never made reservations for MTD, so we eat when we arrive.

Edited by Roce48
add sentence

If you have MTD, they won't be saving a table for you all night, or holding up anyone else's service because you aren't there. You don't NEED reservations for MTD, unless you have a large party. If you do make reservations, it's not hard to pick up your cabin phone and cancel, tho! Takes about 10 secs!

Whether a person has My Time Dining or traditional seating, it all takes place in the Main Dining Room!

Edited by cb at sea

As others have posted, I think it would be a nice gesture to let the MTD area know you are eating elsewhere...........

On a side note when we sailed the Alllure, we arrived back to late for our early dinner in the MDR, and just ordered room service.

The next night our waiter asked us if he had done something to upset us because we were not there, we said no, he was worried.

In the future we will let him know in person, or if running late call.

Sea Ya

I have sailed before, on NCL. With Freestyle you just go eat when and where you want, though you usually have to make a reservation for the specialty restaurants. For included meals, you can choose from two or three main dining rooms, the buffet, or a 24 hour bar and grill type restaurant.

I used My Time Dining and MDR interchangeably because I thought that was where you ate. Is there a separate dining room for people with MTD?

If it helps, I'll be on the 3-night Enchantment of the Seas cruise. I was asked to choose a dining time for the MTD, and I just picked 7:30 for all three nights, even though I know we want to try Chops one night. Those were the reservations I was wondering if I had to cancel.

So I guess I have more questions - where do the MTD people eat? How many main dining rooms are there? If I make a reservation for Chops, will that automatically cancel or notify the MTD/MDR people that I won't be there that night at 7:30?

Thanks!

If you have a standing reservation in MTD for the same table and wait staff, it would be appropriate to cancel that reservation if you dine elsewhere one day. I do believe they will be holding that table for you (at least for some amount of time) if you don't cancel.