has anyone cruised celebrity eastern carribean??

melissanic124

Hi everyone, I'm cruising on celebrity late march, eastern carribean cruise. Its my first cruise and I'm really nervous! I'm on deck ten which I know is pretty high up, and room is mid front. I'm so nervous about getting sick. Has anyone been on this ship\cruise?? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks !! :)

There are more ships doing Eastern Caribbean, than Western, so it is difficult to know which one you are on- ( Reflection / Silhouette )

Take sea sickness patches or bands with you.

Guest Relations will also supply sea sickness pills.

Edited by upwarduk

Hi everyone, I'm cruising on celebrity late march, eastern carribean cruise. Its my first cruise and I'm really nervous! I'm on deck ten which I know is pretty high up, and room is mid front. I'm so nervous about getting sick. Has anyone been on this ship\cruise?? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks !! :)

Welcome to CC!

Yes, we have sailed the Eastern Caribbean with X. You should be fine. It would be nice to know which ship you are sailing. My DH has been prone to seasickness in the past, but we always book deck 12 (aft) on the Solstice class ships and he has never had a problem, even in inclement weather. I hope you will join the Roll Call for your sailing, there will be many who will be able to help you with questions about your cruise. X is a great cruise line. Relax, have fun and enjoy! :)

Edited by C-Dragons

If you are leaving from Fort Lauderdale or Miami, you can feel some motion the evening of your departure. After that, I have found the seas to subside. The motion patches are often effective. These are big ships and I think you will be just fine --but it is good to have a back-up plan just in case.

our first cruise with celebrity was eastern caribbean first couple of days we had no problem then on the third sea was a bit rocky which made us both feel a little dodgy however we were docking at san juan so visit to the pharmacy for the sea sickness pills and that was us right as rain. After that we popped the pills daily just in case. No problem enjoy

Thank you gordylad! I am planning to take bonine nightly as I tend to get motion sick at times. I have heard from Miami to San Juan can be rough, as they are cruising full speed trying to make good time. Im a bit nervous, as I tend to get migraine headaches and sometimes lightheadedness , as well. I figure I better try to ward anything off with the bonine! Did you have any landsickness after the cruise ?

I get very motion sick. I have to take Dramamine every time I am in a plane and cannot ride in the back of a car. We just got off Reflection in Eastern Caribbean. It was smooth as glass except for one night when we had a storm. I put on a patch, slept like a baby and was fine the next day. Took off the patch as the seas calmed down. It all depends on the weather, but I wouldn't spend time worrying, just have a great cruise

We sailed last March and I felt a little motion the first night but after that it was smooth. I normally take Dramamine the first night only. Once I get my sea legs, I am OK. Everyone is different. That was my first X cruise (Equinox) and I thought the ship ran smoothly through the ocean. I felt less motion on Equinox than on a Princess ship. Have fun!

My wife and I have sailed on Reflection to the Eastern Caribbean twice in the last year. Just returned last week. Our cabin was on deck 11 mid ships. The ship must travel at speeds of 19-21 knots to make the Miami to San Juan trip. It is in the Atlantic and will be fighting some brisk headwinds normally at this time of the year. This information came from Staff Captain Smyth's lecture on our last sea day last week. This means the first two days of the cruise are normally a little more lively than the last ones. On our cruise, our 11th, we rated it at about a 4 on our personal scale. If you are going to have medication I would take it the day you board as it will take some time to become effective. During the middle parts of the cruise the seas are normally calmer and the distance between ports is minimal so the ship sails much more slowly and mostly while you are asleep. On the trip back from St. Marten it is much calmer normally because the winds are usually not headwinds and the ship is much more stable and you will be a more experienced cruiser by then. Your body will adjust to the motion of the ship. I also believe you will benefit from being in the fresh air on a regular basis and while outside let you eyes focus on the horizon, it will help your body adjust to the motion in my opinion.

I hope I have not bored you with this long reply, but I believe more than half the battle is not to worry about it in advance. Hopefully this knowledge of our recent experiences will put you at ease because you will know what to expect.

Try the acupressure bands you wear on your wrists, a lot of people swear by them

I am one of those that swear by the sea bands. You can purchase them at Costco or any drug store from $5 - $10 a pair. I get very sea sick but just love cruising, so take all the precautions -- although I doubt if I get as sea sick as I used to. It really seems like prevention is key.

For prevention, I use seabands, and ginger tablets if it starts getting rough. If really rough, I will turn to the Dramamine. I also try to get some fresh air or get active. Dancing is a miracle. I stay midship, if possible. Deck 10 on the Solstice isn't too bad as far as being up really high. If you can trade your room to something a bit more midship, you might go for it. I traded my room (in the same category) for a hump midship cabin just a few weeks before the cruise on the Equinox, it was perfect. Smooth sailing all the way! Get plenty of sleep -- sea sickness tends to hit harder when you are sleep deprived.

For cures, I go lay down with my eyes closed. I keep very little liquid in my stomach and eat green apples and crackers. Again, the ginger and the Dramamine help a lot even after the fact. Don't go to any shows / lectures in the front of the ship.

Unless there is a storm brewing, the seas shouldn't be that bad in the Caribbean. Hope you stay feeling tip top ...and enjoy your cruise.

We were on the Reflection last year out of Miami on deck 8 midship. Most of the cruise was smooth. Returning home the last night we had some slight movement. Nothing much. I always use the patch just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you crazeeforcruisin and westlakegirl!! I'm glad to hear your cruises were pretty smooth! I tend to be an anxious person, and since this will be the first cruise I'm quite nervous ! I'm actually contemplating possibly switching from deck 10 veranda to something lower and bit more mid ship. In your opinion , is that necessary?

Also, did anyone feel sick after getting off cruise??

Thanks so much for your help!

Thank you everyone, for your replies! I really appreciate it, and you have put my mind more at ease. :-) my family booked the cruise , so I didn't get to choose my room, or would have picked one lower, and more mid, after my research. I do have a veranda, which I'm happy about. Has anyone stayed in, or close to 1058? Also, is Deck 10 aqua deck? Being a newbie, I have lots of questions lol.

Thanks for your kind responses!

My DH and I did this exact sailing the first week in April last year. I went into it not at all nervous about getting seasick. I had been on numerous cruises as a child/teen and had never felt a thing, so I wasn't worried about my 27 year old self. I was more worried about my husband, who had never cruised. I should have been prepared. The sea was very rocky, more so than any other cruise I had ever been on. This didn't bother me at all in the room (we were mid-ship deck 3), but it started when I was at the sunset bar after sail-away. It was worse when I was looking out of windows. I didn't have meds and while it didn't bother me too much, it was enough of a worry to make me hesitate to eat in the MD the first night. I opted for the buffet and a relaxed meal in the room. I didn't get nauseous, it just made my head swim and my appetite diminish. I found free Dramamine (or some other type of pill) outside of the medical suite and it made it all better.

So, lesson learned: I will take meds with me and take one before departing for our next cruise! I hope this can help you!

Expect movement the first night and the second day. So be prepared as those times are typically the most challenging. As previously mentioned, the ship needs to move quickly to get to San Juan and there are sea and wind elements at play.

As for after the cruise, I sometimes experience minor vertigo symptoms for a day or two after getting off the ship. They are very minor. I have been told that flying following the cruise may also contribute to this as well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

If there is space available you can move your cabin to a lower deck, but you probably will not get a refund AND if I read your post correctly, you are sailing with others and they are in Aqua class cabins. In order for you to dine with the others you must be in an Aqua class cabin. So do think about it before you jump the gun.

Start the bonine before you leave home taking it as prescribed while onboard and continue it for a couple of days after you return. Because you have the nasty headaches avoid the temptation to use a scopolamine patch. It can cause ocular issues and dry mouth amongst other side effects.

If you are active while sailing you are less likely to even think about the seas. There are many things to do and places to be to help divert your attention. AND don't spend the next two months worrying about the unknown. Just plan for a wonderful vacation where you only unpack once, where you can dine without doing the dishes, and where you can make wonderful memories.

Melissanic,

Welcome to the CC message boards.

You are unlikely to have seasickness; however,

Do try the medication a least a week before your cruise.

Whether it be a patch or a pill, you don't want to get sick from the treatment and think you've got seasickness.

I used the behind the ear patch once for crossing the ocean and got sick from the patch.

Any questions, do post again.

You will have smooth seas and a delightful good time on your cruise.

Enjoy the planning.

-Marisa

We've done several eastern Carib cruises and motion has rarely been an issue. If it is a personal issue a mid-height deck with a mid-ship location reduces the motion. The closer to mid height/mid front to back, the less movement. We'll be on Reflection on 3/29 on deck 12, front but not worrying. As stated, the most motion has always seemed to be them first night out of Miami or FLL.

The worst we ever experienced was in a storm between Mexico and Key West on Century many years ago. I think the waves were breaking higher than the windows on the public decks. Seasickness pills were in candy bowels all over the ship. We went to dinner (formal night) and the MDR was about 2/3 empty. Lots of extra lobster. We had upgraded to a Sky Suite on an upper deck. Lots of movement and a great night's sleep.

I also believe you will benefit from being in the fresh air on a regular basis and while outside let you eyes focus on the horizon, it will help your body adjust to the motion in my opinion.

Not just your opinion. There are definite physiological reasons for focusing on the horizon whenever possible. Focusing on the horizon makes the very strong visual sense information match the other senses' information. Focusing "inside" creates a conflict between the visual sense information and the other senses' information, and this is believed to be cause of motion sickness. Best example of this is reading in the back seat of a moving car, which can often bring on motion sickness.