Suite-RoomService-Breakfast@PG-"cutbacks" reviews - You won't avert us from cruising!

cruisetrail

One thing for sure. Everyone's particular cruise experience is viewed thru their own eyes, and "judged" by their own mind and thinking. I can appreciate everyone's opinion of their cruise, and their sometimes helpful observations and tips for better travel. However, just because someone didn't like a particular ship or cruise would not deter me from someday taking that ship or cruise in order to make my own determination. Good grief, there are some folks out there who hate cruising altogether and would not sail under any circumstances. No one's personal opinion would stop me from cruising if that is what I really wanted to do.

Brilliant! Thanks!

I think some folks are supremely loyal to a cruise line, just like some are to airlines, wine brands, or car manufacturers.....and because it is something they love and identify with, they become super-sensitive to any critical comments of that "thing they love"......it becomes very personal to them. So instead of remaining objective and trying to look at all sides of a situation, they become somewhat personally offended, a kind of knee-jerk reaction. I understand this because some "things" in life evoke the same type of response/reaction with me!!!:o I try to curb those feelings though, and try to look at the big picture....and if folks feel a certain way, well, so be it...! It doesn't have to affect how I feel........unless I let it!! :)

Well said. Feeling passionate about something can be both a blessing and a curse.

One thing for sure. Everyone's particular cruise experience is viewed thru their own eyes, and "judged" by their own mind and thinking. I can appreciate everyone's opinion of their cruise, and their sometimes helpful observations and tips for better travel. However, just because someone didn't like a particular ship or cruise would not deter me from someday taking that ship or cruise in order to make my own determination. Good grief, there are some folks out there who hate cruising altogether and would not sail under any circumstances. No one's personal opinion would stop me from cruising if that is what I really wanted to do.

Amen!

I do apologize for making some remarks I usually don't do.

But something prompted me to take a short break in my Signature Class ships thread and return to our recent and not so recent experience with Holland America Line cruises.

My position - this is a public forum.

Everyone has a right to post whatever his/her keyboard can tolerate (within CC Guidelines): "If you don't like it - don't read it'.

Same about my remarks.

This is an exception from what I normally do. No one should take it personally.

:)

1. The first part - a shorter part where I do have questions - is about my concern provoked by various reviews of the Vista class ships (Noordam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam).

It looks like there is a difference in the class of product in comparison with Signature ships (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam).

Of course there is a difference by design (extra amenities and space on the Signature class).

Some other things I can observe: a difference in prices. The Signature ships often charge some $100 more for the same itinerary.

We also noted another detail while at Half Moon Cay: the Nieuw Amsterdam was taken care of by large port-based tenders, while the Vista class ship was using her own small tenders.

I have not cruised on the older Vista class ships.

So I read reviews.

Unfortunately many of them are Bed & Breakfast reviews rather than a cruise ship review.

Quite often "my suite - my room service - my breakfast at the restaurant" reports are followed by the comments about "Lido buffet is what it is", etc.

Dare I ask how does this "reviewer" know about the buffet while sitting in his suite? But this is just a note.

Slow service & cutbacks on Vista class.

I cannot assess this myself as I have not been on those ships.

What I know for sure: it's not the case with the Signature class.

The number of reports just make me think HAL fleet has Big brothers and Small brothers.

Is it correct?

Quite a few of the Vista class ships reviews are annoying, of course.

But who knows if there is a grain of a rational there. May be there is.

Watching from outside, I see some symptoms of it mentioned above.

But that is about the Vista ships.

2. The Signature class ships.

Dear fellow cruisers, I won't be asking questions in this part. Forgive me again!

I just want to say that I definitely know now where to stop reading reviews..

Suite / Room Service / Breakfast @ PG.. This is the first alert! Expect "cutbacks" and "lacks of" to follow.

"Lack of deck space" - a valid reason to send the review directly to a garbage can. My friends, bring your precious bottom part a few steps up to the sun deck and enjoy a huge space unlike on any other cruise ship afloat.

The "reviewers" probably should take some time to get familiar with the ship before they start to pollute internet with this nonsense.

"HAL has gone downhill since Carnival.." It's good that we remember what was many years ago.

But Aricept and Namenda are good medications to help with short term memory loss.

Carnival saved this glorious brand and built a new class of ships - four Vista class ships.

In 2008-2010 HAL received two new mega-million resort ships that would make credit to any cruise line. The best HAL ships ever. Definitely a class of ships among a few best afloat if not the best.

However, pillow chocolate has changed it's shape and taste - that's true!

The older one:

sospd5.jpg

"Slow service in MDR". Airplanes are slow sometimes. There can be isolated episodes in MDR due to variety of options now available. Passengers can choose from two fixed seating times and also any time seating (with additional options to book a table for a few days).

So there can be waves of people coming and leaving..

The MDR seats about 1000 guests. There may be issues with particular orders, supplies, etc. It's a huge complex thing.

Also note that every person has personal perseption of what is slow and fast.

I have been monitoring the Signature class ships regularly since the delivery of the Nieuw Amsterdam. No problem with MDR to write home.

If a review states "slow service" in general - this is internet spam. Treat it as spam.

"Lido buffet is a zoo. Avoid it at all cost".

No, my friends. We won't! We don't want to miss what HAL does better than any cruise line - breakfast at sea.

"HAL is for older adults" - ha-ha-ha! If you see this remark with regard to the Signature ships - grab a cruise before those people realize how far from reality they are.

Part three.

This is a report of our recent cruise on the beautiful Nieuw Amsterdam.

vxcl20.jpg

Hotels

Pre-cruise - Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center Perfect location near cruise port (walking distance).

Clean and spacious room for 4. The hotel looks like recently renovated.

Light breakfast included.

Free transportation from the airport.

Overall: excellent

Post-cruise - Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

Clean and spacious room for 4.

Light breakfast included.

Free transportation to the airport.

Overall: excellent

The Ship

MS Nieuw Amsterdam

Condition

Immaculate condition after 3 years in service.

Design

Classic cruise ship with the full list of amenities (full wrap-around promenade deck, front observation lounge, front observation decks, theater, gym, large sports court, hydropool & thermal suite, spacious sun decks, family pool area with sliding roof, aft pool area for adults with open sea views, panoramic glass elevators facing the sea).

No water slides, no climbing walls..

Space per person (footage)

Along with the sister ship MS Eurodam - the most spacious cruise ship at sea (considering the fact that the Queen Mary 2 is an ocean liner).

Decor

Main theme - Maritime History and Everything New York (originally founded as Nieuw Amsterdam).

Interiors - classy feel. Modern, elegant, subdued tones overall. More tempo, colors, contrast, chrome and glass where needed.

An outstanding detail - the atrium chandelier. What a bright idea! The chandelier is actually an abstract model of New York landmarks. The chandelier is rotating and changing its color.

An amazing idea that perfectly fits the whole theme (New York) and "holds" the ship's focal point (a relatively small atrium).

The theater - a tastefully appointed and well equipped showroom. Very substantial proscenium that can be extended forward (taking up the first row of seats). One of the most beautiful showrooms at sea (after the Cunarders).

Main Dining Room - two deck high with somewhat controversial component of Asian style rather than "Everything New York" (the chandeliers and prevalence of red color).

After a closer look at the MDR decor I found it quite interesting. It has lots and lots small details, unusual forms and unexpected reflections. It's like being in a huge kaleidoscope. Speaking of the restaurant, the whole setting is very elegant.

Activities

There was a long list of regular cruise ship activities - much longer than this review.

We focus on sun and pools, promenade deck, sports facilities, hydropool, and of course dining.

Service

Cruise time is short and precious. We are physically active and pretty much self-sufficient cruisers, so our vision of "service" is broader than "the state of being served" in it's "traditional" meaning.

As I mentioned before, the ship is full of great amenities that are designed to SERVE us.

So everything from a unique hydropool to a gorgeous promenade deck is SERVice for us, or "self-service" if you wish. All these features are at your fingertips on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

"Traditional" service deserved a simple word - Exceptional.

Our steward Endang was awesome.

So were our waiters in the MDR (early seating). Prompt service, no waiting.

We had a nice table for four near the window (requested in advance - good job by HAL).

Carina (Front Office) arranged an event for our child - he was granted a special attention from the Second Officer.

7-days Hydropool & Thermal Suite pass was purchased in advance as well.

Cabins

We had a spacious inside cabin for 4 Category "J" on Deck 1.

Dining

Regular MDR menu includes 4 appetizers, 4 soups & salads, 7 main courses that change every day and 5 items available daily.

Selection of 14 cheeses is available every day (you can choose any four at a time).

Lido Buffet offers the best breakfast at sea . 10 kinds of juices including fresh fresh squeezed OJ.

Several kinds of eggs Benedict (I like the one with crab meat), smoked salmon, various fruits, waffles, crepes, omelets made to order, etc, etc...

For lunch we focused on various meats and sea food (scallops, shrimps, etc.), strawberries, pineapples.

Could not miss bread pudding with custard sauce.

The Nieuw Amsterdam offers proper afternoon tea ceremony in best maritime traditions.

It was served in MDR and once in Tamarind specialty restaurant.

We never have breakfast or lunch in MDR.

Junk food (pizza & burgers) was available near the pools.

I tried Stromboli - delicious.

Room service is complimentary with an extensive menu. We don't use room service on cruise ships.

Specialty Dining

Pinnacle Grille offered its regular menu and Special Events at Pinnacle Grill.

We were at Tamarind this time.

Excellent food, service and general setting.

Entertainment

Cantare - the highlight of the entertainment program. A wonderful performance. Saw them two times.

The Nieuw Amsterdam continue to offer a luxury of live music on the main stage (theater) - another indication of a classy product.

Live chamber music & Dance music in various lounges and bars.

Live music band & caribbean drum on pool decks - something i don't want to see and hear on the aft pool deck.

Embarkation / Disembarkation

I don't rate it because in my opinion it says nothing about the ship itself.

Just for the rerecord - it was smooth and easy. No wait. We never check in our luggage and simply embark/disembark at the right time.

Summary

An excellent cruise on the one of the four best ships available in the Caribbean.

Two paradise islands (Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay), San Juan (we normally stay on the ship) and St. Thomas - with a big surprise. The Nieuw Amsterdam was the only ship at St. Thomas that day! Never seen that before. The third "private island" on the route.

We were almost the only guests at Paradise Point.

Magens Beach - there were more pelicans and iguanas than people there.

Will we recommend this cruise to somebody else?

No!

We'll keep it for ourselves.

The boredom of Suite/RoomService/Breakfast & PG/"cutbacks" reviews won't avert us from cruising.

We'll continue to enjoy great ships, great food & service and great itineraries with HAL Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam!

m81jdz.jpg

s6hq86.jpg

2ls789e.jpg

We've established that everyone is entitled to their opinion. In fact, at the beginning of your original post, you yourself state "Everyone has a right to post whatever his/her keyboard can tolerate..."

OK, so here's mine: I found your post at best offensive, and in part supercilious, condescending, and scornful.

For starters, you don't appear capable of taking your own advice: you make the statement "If you don't like it, don't read it." But you then go on to state "Quite a few of the Vista class ships reviews are annoying." So -- why are you reading them? And apparently you don't really believe in everyone's "right to post" because you characterize deck space posts with which you disagree as "pollut(ing) the internet with this nonsense."

Concerning the years-ago Carnival Corp. acquisition, you state "It's good that we remember what was many years ago. But Aricept and Namenda are good medications to help with short term memory loss." Was it really necessary to mock people with memory problems with a comment like this in the setting of a cruise review?

And finally, you characterize comments about "Slow service - in general" as unwanted, misleading, and possibly fraudulent. No, you didn't use those words, but you DID say about such comments: "...this is internet spam. Treat it as spam." What else is "spam" but Internet material that is unwanted, misleading, and possibly fraudulent? From precisely what perspective, from what position, with what authority, do you so dismiss, demean, and disdain the genuine experiences of other cruisers whose opinions differ from your possible experiences?

Just my opinion, of course.

We've established that everyone is entitled to their opinion. In fact, at the beginning of your original post, you yourself state "Everyone has a right to post whatever his/her keyboard can tolerate..."

OK, so here's mine: I found your post at best offensive, and in part supercilious, condescending, and scornful.

For starters, you don't appear capable of taking your own advice: you make the statement "If you don't like it, don't read it." But you then go on to state "Quite a few of the Vista class ships reviews are annoying." So -- why are you reading them? And apparently you don't really believe in everyone's "right to post" because you characterize deck space posts with which you disagree as "pollut(ing) the internet with this nonsense."

Concerning the years-ago Carnival Corp. acquisition, you state "It's good that we remember what was many years ago. But Aricept and Namenda are good medications to help with short term memory loss." Was it really necessary to mock people with memory problems with a comment like this in the setting of a cruise review?

And finally, you characterize comments about "Slow service - in general" as unwanted, misleading, and possibly fraudulent. No, you didn't use those words, but you DID say about such comments: "...this is internet spam. Treat it as spam." What else is "spam" but Internet material that is unwanted, misleading, and possibly fraudulent? From precisely what perspective, from what position, with what authority, do you so dismiss, demean, and disdain the genuine experiences of other cruisers whose opinions differ from your possible experiences?

Thank you.;)

Thank you for the detailed comment.

For starters, you don't appear capable of taking your own advice: you make the statement "If you don't like it, don't read it." But you then go on to state "Quite a few of the Vista class ships reviews are annoying." So -- why are you reading them?

You've probably missed the answer. It's in the review.

Please don't take phrases out of context.

"Quite a few of the Vista class ships reviews are annoying, of course.

But who knows if there is a grain of a rational there. May be there is.

Watching from outside, I see some symptoms of it mentioned above.

But that is about the Vista ships."

Actually I was asking a question there. May be you have an answer?

And apparently you don't really believe in everyone's "right to post" because you characterize deck space posts with which you disagree as "pollut(ing) the internet with this nonsense."

You are putting together phrases from two different parts of the review that are clearly separated. I underlined the separation because I was talking about different things.

Did I say that no one has right to comment on the factual nonsense about cruise ships?

I did not. Hence my comment.

"Disagree" is not the best word when we talk about ship facts.

Technical facts do not need agreement. They are facts.

Was it really necessary to mock people with memory problems with a comment like this in the setting of a cruise review?

Sorry to see this presented this way and sorry if you take this personal.

I have mentioned a couple of times: nothing personal intended.

My wife would tell me to take Namenda if I forget the first item on the shopping list. A figure of speech.

From precisely what perspective, from what position, with what authority, do you so dismiss, demean, and disdain the genuine experiences of other cruisers whose opinions differ from your possible experiences?

First of all, this not true.

This is an example of sophistry - to ask someone why he did something that he actually did not do.

1. You again skipped my explanation of why service in MDR may appear or may seem to appear slow on a cruise ship. Don't you like my explanation? What do disagree with? What is your explanation?

2. You comment fell victim of common misunderstanding we often see on the boards.

People confuse opinions with facts.

"There is no Eiffel Tower in Paris"

"I did not see the Eiffel Tower in Paris"

First statement - nonsense. Technical fact: the Eiffel Tower is in Paris.

Second statement - personal experience (a person was not close enough, did not know where to look, it was foggy, he was busy working, etc.)

Have you noticed the difference?

To "dismiss, demean, and disdain the genuine experiences" and opinions does not make sense because that is personal.

So I don't do so. And I don't react on that.

Ships - what is the subject of my study and comments.

Never persons. Yes, I see who is who right away - but that's not for discussing, nor for posting.

What is my authority?

The ship is the authority.

"It was difficult to get a lounger near the pool on the Eurodam".

This is my comment:

Personal experience. It's possible on a certain day at a certain time. It's less likely than on any other ship, but possible. A part of various ship facts.

"The Eurodam has not enough loungers on sun decks".

My comment.

A false generalization. Ship fact: the Eurodam has enormous number of available loungers any time. Where? Two upper sun decks.

This generalization can be marked as misleading, incompetent, name it.

Etc., etc..

In fact, at the beginning of your original post, you yourself state "Everyone has a right to post whatever his/her keyboard can tolerate..."

It's not OK because again you have nicely skipped an important thing.

This what I posted:

"Everyone has a right to post whatever his/her keyboard can tolerate (within CC Guidelines): "If you don't like it - don't read it."

What I have been doing: posting about ships. This time I also posted some general comments on some sort of reviews.

What you are doing: posting at best unfriendly, and in part offensive comments addressed to me personally.

** CC Guidelines **

Again please note the difference!

This has been my review on your review of my review.

Conclusion: slapdash work.

Enjoy you cruise!

Edited by cruisetrail

• 2 weeks later...
Did you note the empty pool and vacant pool chairs? This is one of my favorite reasons for sailing HAL. Shhhh..... don't tell anyone else about this. One of HAL's best kept secrets.

I guess you can take that one to the bank:rolleyes:;)

One of the challenges of writing instead of talking is that you don't hear the tone of voice, and you don't see the body language. Therefore, what the writer "says" can easily be "heard" by the reader differently.

To the OP: honestly, what I "heard" when I read your post was a haughty tone. I understand that you might not have intended it that way -- I have been accused of the same, when I didn't mean it. But, I can understand some of the responses.

I don't have a dog in this fight. My favorite ship, hands down, is the Prinsendam, but I have enjoyed all of my ocean cruises -- on HAL, Carnival and RCL (my river cruise, not so much!). I think it is a little harsh to say that certain phrases in a review means they have no value. Different people have different communication styles, and different priorities. What really annoys one person may be of little value to me in the first place. To say that the whole review is useless is kind of unkind... I think.

I suspect that you did not mean things as they came across.

Touche' Tarpeian Rock!

Now this is MY Opinion!

I've read every post on this thread including the last response to Tarpeian Rock's post by the OP..

IMO, if the OP had just given his review of his cruise (Part three) I may not have been just as offended as many other posters are..:(

IMO..The first part of the OP's review is in fact mocking of other reviews!

I have a very close family member, who unfortunately has short term memory loss & consider part one & two of the OP's post to be particularly patronizing & offensive!:mad:

We spend most of our time out on the Promenade Deck & have been told to stay out of the sun by our physician! Therefore, a review which mentions a lack of loungers on some decks is NOT Internet SPAM..:(

Again this is my opinion!

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Touche' Tarpeian Rock!

Now this is MY Opinion!

I've read every post on this thread including the last response to Tarpeian Rock's post by the OP..

IMO, if the OP had just given his review of his cruise (Part three) I may not have been just as offended as many other posters are..:(

IMO..The first part of the OP's review is in fact mocking of other reviews!

I have a very close family member, who unfortunately has short term memory loss & consider part one & two of the OP's post to be particularly patronizing & offensive!:mad:

We spend most of our time out on the Promenade Deck & have been told to stay out of the sun by our physician! Therefore, a review which mentions a lack of loungers on some decks is NOT Internet SPAM..:(

Again this is my opinion!

Betty

Thank you for saying all that... and I agree with every word, especially given I have Lupus and the sun is not a good idea for me. That aside, I found the review somewhat arrogant and dismissive.

[quote name='Tarpeian Rock']We've established that everyone is entitled to their opinion. In fact, at the beginning of your original post, you yourself state "Everyone has a right to post whatever his/her keyboard can tolerate..."

Just my opinion, of course.[/quote]

[B]Tarpeian Rock[/B]: Thank you for having the guts to be the first one here to stand up to this bully-in-cheerleader's-clothing who started this thread. I can add nothing but "Amen" to your sentiments--except for the feeling that your calling out his fake "freedom of speech" defense missed the real point:

[quote name='cruisetrail']My position - this is a public forum.
[COLOR=red]Everyone has a right to post whatever his/her keyboard can tolerate [B](within CC Guidelines):[/B][/COLOR] "If you don't like it - don't read it'.[/quote]

Starting a thread for the sole purpose of criticising the quality of member reviews--and branding those who write the reviews as a certain type of person based on their cabin class and whatever else is important to them--is absolutely well outside the Community Guidelines.

And as for "If you don't like it--don't read it": I come to these boards simply because I enjoyed my recent HAL cruise and am leaning towards booking another. But unlike other CC boards I find far more content that I "don't like" than I do. This is a very insular board that clearly discourages new members from posting; most threads contain multiple guideline violations of directly addressing the member rather than answering their question; massive thread drift into personal conversations; constant use of the "T-word" directed at anyone who dares be critical. There is a sticky on the Cunard board (among others) stating that those who persist in the latter two examples I cited will be banned; why not the same here? Is it because the leaders of the clique have Host Walt wrapped around their little finger to the point that zero action is taken when a thread that belongs elsewhere (or nowhere) on Cruise Critic is started in the name of HAL? [I](Yes, this is something I have taken up with the Community Manager)[/I]