Suite-RoomService-Breakfast@PG-"cutbacks" reviews - You won't avert us from cruising!

cruisetrail

I do apologize for making some remarks I usually don't do.

But something prompted me to take a short break in my Signature Class ships thread and return to our recent and not so recent experience with Holland America Line cruises.

My position - this is a public forum.

Everyone has a right to post whatever his/her keyboard can tolerate (within CC Guidelines): "If you don't like it - don't read it'.

Same about my remarks.

This is an exception from what I normally do. No one should take it personally.

:)

1. The first part - a shorter part where I do have questions - is about my concern provoked by various reviews of the Vista class ships (Noordam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam).

It looks like there is a difference in the class of product in comparison with Signature ships (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam).

Of course there is a difference by design (extra amenities and space on the Signature class).

Some other things I can observe: a difference in prices. The Signature ships often charge some $100 more for the same itinerary.

We also noted another detail while at Half Moon Cay: the Nieuw Amsterdam was taken care of by large port-based tenders, while the Vista class ship was using her own small tenders.

I have not cruised on the older Vista class ships.

So I read reviews.

Unfortunately many of them are Bed & Breakfast reviews rather than a cruise ship review.

Quite often "my suite - my room service - my breakfast at the restaurant" reports are followed by the comments about "Lido buffet is what it is", etc.

Dare I ask how does this "reviewer" know about the buffet while sitting in his suite? But this is just a note.

Slow service & cutbacks on Vista class.

I cannot assess this myself as I have not been on those ships.

What I know for sure: it's not the case with the Signature class.

The number of reports just make me think HAL fleet has Big brothers and Small brothers.

Is it correct?

Quite a few of the Vista class ships reviews are annoying, of course.

But who knows if there is a grain of a rational there. May be there is.

Watching from outside, I see some symptoms of it mentioned above.

But that is about the Vista ships.

2. The Signature class ships.

Dear fellow cruisers, I won't be asking questions in this part. Forgive me again!

I just want to say that I definitely know now where to stop reading reviews..

Suite / Room Service / Breakfast @ PG.. This is the first alert! Expect "cutbacks" and "lacks of" to follow.

"Lack of deck space" - a valid reason to send the review directly to a garbage can. My friends, bring your precious bottom part a few steps up to the sun deck and enjoy a huge space unlike on any other cruise ship afloat.

The "reviewers" probably should take some time to get familiar with the ship before they start to pollute internet with this nonsense.

"HAL has gone downhill since Carnival.." It's good that we remember what was many years ago.

But Aricept and Namenda are good medications to help with short term memory loss.

Carnival saved this glorious brand and built a new class of ships - four Vista class ships.

In 2008-2010 HAL received two new mega-million resort ships that would make credit to any cruise line. The best HAL ships ever. Definitely a class of ships among a few best afloat if not the best.

However, pillow chocolate has changed it's shape and taste - that's true!

The older one:

sospd5.jpg

"Slow service in MDR". Airplanes are slow sometimes. There can be isolated episodes in MDR due to variety of options now available. Passengers can choose from two fixed seating times and also any time seating (with additional options to book a table for a few days).

So there can be waves of people coming and leaving..

The MDR seats about 1000 guests. There may be issues with particular orders, supplies, etc. It's a huge complex thing.

Also note that every person has personal perseption of what is slow and fast.

I have been monitoring the Signature class ships regularly since the delivery of the Nieuw Amsterdam. No problem with MDR to write home.

If a review states "slow service" in general - this is internet spam. Treat it as spam.

"Lido buffet is a zoo. Avoid it at all cost".

No, my friends. We won't! We don't want to miss what HAL does better than any cruise line - breakfast at sea.

"HAL is for older adults" - ha-ha-ha! If you see this remark with regard to the Signature ships - grab a cruise before those people realize how far from reality they are.

Part three.

This is a report of our recent cruise on the beautiful Nieuw Amsterdam.

vxcl20.jpg

Hotels

Pre-cruise - Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center Perfect location near cruise port (walking distance).

Clean and spacious room for 4. The hotel looks like recently renovated.

Light breakfast included.

Free transportation from the airport.

Overall: excellent

Post-cruise - Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

Clean and spacious room for 4.

Light breakfast included.

Free transportation to the airport.

Overall: excellent

The Ship

MS Nieuw Amsterdam

Condition

Immaculate condition after 3 years in service.

Design

Classic cruise ship with the full list of amenities (full wrap-around promenade deck, front observation lounge, front observation decks, theater, gym, large sports court, hydropool & thermal suite, spacious sun decks, family pool area with sliding roof, aft pool area for adults with open sea views, panoramic glass elevators facing the sea).

No water slides, no climbing walls..

Space per person (footage)

Along with the sister ship MS Eurodam - the most spacious cruise ship at sea (considering the fact that the Queen Mary 2 is an ocean liner).

Decor

Main theme - Maritime History and Everything New York (originally founded as Nieuw Amsterdam).

Interiors - classy feel. Modern, elegant, subdued tones overall. More tempo, colors, contrast, chrome and glass where needed.

An outstanding detail - the atrium chandelier. What a bright idea! The chandelier is actually an abstract model of New York landmarks. The chandelier is rotating and changing its color.

An amazing idea that perfectly fits the whole theme (New York) and "holds" the ship's focal point (a relatively small atrium).

The theater - a tastefully appointed and well equipped showroom. Very substantial proscenium that can be extended forward (taking up the first row of seats). One of the most beautiful showrooms at sea (after the Cunarders).

Main Dining Room - two deck high with somewhat controversial component of Asian style rather than "Everything New York" (the chandeliers and prevalence of red color).

After a closer look at the MDR decor I found it quite interesting. It has lots and lots small details, unusual forms and unexpected reflections. It's like being in a huge kaleidoscope. Speaking of the restaurant, the whole setting is very elegant.

Activities

There was a long list of regular cruise ship activities - much longer than this review.

We focus on sun and pools, promenade deck, sports facilities, hydropool, and of course dining.

Service

Cruise time is short and precious. We are physically active and pretty much self-sufficient cruisers, so our vision of "service" is broader than "the state of being served" in it's "traditional" meaning.

As I mentioned before, the ship is full of great amenities that are designed to SERVE us.

So everything from a unique hydropool to a gorgeous promenade deck is SERVice for us, or "self-service" if you wish. All these features are at your fingertips on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

"Traditional" service deserved a simple word - Exceptional.

Our steward Endang was awesome.

So were our waiters in the MDR (early seating). Prompt service, no waiting.

We had a nice table for four near the window (requested in advance - good job by HAL).

Carina (Front Office) arranged an event for our child - he was granted a special attention from the Second Officer.

7-days Hydropool & Thermal Suite pass was purchased in advance as well.

Cabins

We had a spacious inside cabin for 4 Category "J" on Deck 1.

Dining

Regular MDR menu includes 4 appetizers, 4 soups & salads, 7 main courses that change every day and 5 items available daily.

Selection of 14 cheeses is available every day (you can choose any four at a time).

Lido Buffet offers the best breakfast at sea . 10 kinds of juices including fresh fresh squeezed OJ.

Several kinds of eggs Benedict (I like the one with crab meat), smoked salmon, various fruits, waffles, crepes, omelets made to order, etc, etc...

For lunch we focused on various meats and sea food (scallops, shrimps, etc.), strawberries, pineapples.

Could not miss bread pudding with custard sauce.

The Nieuw Amsterdam offers proper afternoon tea ceremony in best maritime traditions.

It was served in MDR and once in Tamarind specialty restaurant.

We never have breakfast or lunch in MDR.

Junk food (pizza & burgers) was available near the pools.

I tried Stromboli - delicious.

Room service is complimentary with an extensive menu. We don't use room service on cruise ships.

Specialty Dining

Pinnacle Grille offered its regular menu and Special Events at Pinnacle Grill.

We were at Tamarind this time.

Excellent food, service and general setting.

Entertainment

Cantare - the highlight of the entertainment program. A wonderful performance. Saw them two times.

The Nieuw Amsterdam continue to offer a luxury of live music on the main stage (theater) - another indication of a classy product.

Live chamber music & Dance music in various lounges and bars.

Live music band & caribbean drum on pool decks - something i don't want to see and hear on the aft pool deck.

Embarkation / Disembarkation

I don't rate it because in my opinion it says nothing about the ship itself.

Just for the rerecord - it was smooth and easy. No wait. We never check in our luggage and simply embark/disembark at the right time.

Summary

An excellent cruise on the one of the four best ships available in the Caribbean.

Two paradise islands (Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay), San Juan (we normally stay on the ship) and St. Thomas - with a big surprise. The Nieuw Amsterdam was the only ship at St. Thomas that day! Never seen that before. The third "private island" on the route.

We were almost the only guests at Paradise Point.

Magens Beach - there were more pelicans and iguanas than people there.

Will we recommend this cruise to somebody else?

No!

We'll keep it for ourselves.

The boredom of Suite/RoomService/Breakfast & PG/"cutbacks" reviews won't avert us from cruising.

We'll continue to enjoy great ships, great food & service and great itineraries with HAL Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam!

m81jdz.jpg

s6hq86.jpg

2ls789e.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

Wonderful review.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share with us.

I just wish to comment that when Carnival Corporation bought HAL some 20 or so years ago, they built a new class of ships. Those ships are the so-called "S" Class ships.... Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam which entered the fllet in that order. After that came the "R" Class ships and THEN the Vista and Signatures. HAL has added wonderful new classes of ships periodically through the years since the time Carnival Corp. became HAL's owner.

I agree that while there have been cutbacks, HAL does a wonderful job considering the times we live in and the budget of most cruisers.

Welcome Back and thanks again for your well done review.

Edited by sail7seas

Respectfully, I disagree - the WORST service I ever had was on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The MDR was pitiful, the waiter in 'training" - huh? You want me to train him on a 20 day cruise???? I DON"T think so.

Just because people might do in room service doesn't mean they don't go to the Lido. The Lido is used by most so I think it's fair to comment on it.

I totally get it - you are a fan of the Signature class ships - your website is great. don't get me wrong - I love the Tamarind and the Silk Den, but it isn't worth getting on the ship that I will sail the least and take the risk we encounter the same thing we did before.

I know these ships have a lot of fans and that's fine. We didn't have the experience we expected - it wasn't the worst cruise of our lives by any means but it was our worst experience on a HAL ship and Seattle got my letter when I returned.

We prefer the older ships by far - Prinsendam 1st, Maasdam 2nd and Westerdam is currently 3rd. That might all change with time I am sure but that's where we stand now. The public space is much better (remember I am in the position to compare). The crew is enthusiastic and caring. And the ships are ships and a joy to be on.

Just a different opinion and of course, we are all entitled to our own.

Smooth seas:D

:D You make it sound like the 'last century' was a full 100 years ago.

It wasn't.

While you might have been aware of HAL/Carnival's ship building history, there could be others here would might not know and possibly are interested.

We sailed Nieuw Amsterdam two cruises. We much prefer Eurodam. Actually, we really, really like Eurodam a lot!

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks for your unique rev :)

Q : 1- what are the other 2 ships amongst the best at seas beside NA & ED in your opinion ?

A Golden Coin of Caribbean Cruises: HAL Signature Class and RCI Oasis Class

mn2rn8.jpg

2- where was your last photo taken ?

St.Thomas

Thank you for your review.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 2 weeks in November.

We had pre-booked a couple of Pinnacle Grill dinners and a couple of Tamarind dinners. After checking the main dining room menus -- we opted to make more reservations in both the Pinnacle and Tamarind. Too many spices and greasy goods for us -- that is just us.

What a nice review! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

We cruised on the NA for the first time in December. We LOVED it! In fact, we booked a cruise on it for Thanksgiving, and we are taking our son and his fiancée.

We were home about a week and decided to book another cruise for next month! We didn't even consider any other ship!

My only "complaint" is that the itinerary doesn't change from week to week, month to month (other than the back to back "legs"). Wish we could go to other islands on the same ship!

Thank you for your write-up! We sailed on the Niew Amsterdam in 2011 and I absolutely LOVED it!!! We sail on the Zuiderdam in two weeks and I can't wait! We're in the planning stages for a cruise on the Eurodam for next year! We've also sailed on the Westerdam and loved it! I think as long as we're on a "dam" ship, we're happy!

We also noted another detail while at Half Moon Cay: the Nieuw Amsterdam was taken care of by large port-based tenders, while the Vista class ship was using her own small tenders.

I saw this as well. I don't think it's a case of second-class treatment for the other ship. If you think about it, the way they do it probably makes the most sense if there aren't enough large tenders for both ships.

I saw this as well. I don't think it's a case of second-class treatment for the other ship. If you think about it, the way they do it probably makes the most sense if there aren't enough large tenders for both ships.

I would actually prefer the small tenders at HMC as often times you will have to wait until the fill up the larger boat which can take awhile.

3 Star Mariner on HAL

Whichever is the largest ship usually uses the island tenders. We prefer the ship's tenders as they load and disembark much faster. Takes a long time to get everyone on and off the Henry Hudson; the island tenders.

Cruise trail love the review and I love both the Eurodam & the NA they are in my opinion 1st Class ships with a wonderul crew and look forward to being on the NA again in April.

Ciao

Cristiano

Can't believe we will miss you two in Fort Lauderdale by just nine days!!!

Have you looked at anything for 2015 yet? Check out the roll call for the Westerdam April 11 from FLL through the canal to Vancouver. We have a great group and would love to sail with you again. :)

Can't believe we will miss you two in Fort Lauderdale by just nine days!!!

Have you looked at anything for 2015 yet? Check out the roll call for the Westerdam April 11 from FLL through the canal to Vancouver. We have a great group and would love to sail with you again. :)

I have my Whistle ready :) and just suggested that cruise to KC but she just frowned and the best I can do is the inaugural TA with the new Whatitsnamedam being let loose in 2016 :eek:

Miss you and K heaps !

Ciao Bella,

Cristiano

I.........................We also noted another detail while at Half Moon Cay: the Nieuw Amsterdam was taken care of by large port-based tenders, while the Vista class ship was using her own small tenders.

Great review, thanks! :)

Just a heads up; it is SOP, in case of two ships anchoring at HMC, that the larger of the two gets the services of the four island tenders. The larger ship, in turn, frequently gives the smaller vessel the use of one (or more) of her own tenders to help out

One thing for sure. Everyone's particular cruise experience is viewed thru their own eyes, and "judged" by their own mind and thinking. I can appreciate everyone's opinion of their cruise, and their sometimes helpful observations and tips for better travel. However, just because someone didn't like a particular ship or cruise would not deter me from someday taking that ship or cruise in order to make my own determination. Good grief, there are some folks out there who hate cruising altogether and would not sail under any circumstances. No one's personal opinion would stop me from cruising if that is what I really wanted to do.

One thing for sure. Everyone's particular cruise experience is viewed thru their own eyes, and "judged" by their own mind and thinking. I can appreciate everyone's opinion of their cruise, and their sometimes helpful observations and tips for better travel. However, just because someone didn't like a particular ship or cruise would not deter me from someday taking that ship or cruise in order to make my own determination.

I agree. I really enjoy reading detailed reviews of the good and the bad as it helps me determine what is important to me. For instance, folks complaining about the new wine policy is irrelevant to me as we don't drink alcohol. We couldn't care less about pools being crowded as we never lie around the pool areas.

It is amusing at times though to read some folks response to a negative cruise. It seems as though folks are annoyed and bothered by a negative review. It's almost as if they take it personally; that they believe that there is no way that someone can have a poor experience on a Holland America ship. But it is quite possible, it is even quite possible for two different passengers to have two very different experiences on the exact same cruise. HAL knows and understand this and has a whole department whose goal is to manage this, but for some reason, some of HAL's most strongest supporters appear at times to have a hard time accepting this. I can't help but wonder sometimes if it's because many of these supporters happen to own Carnival stock ;)

I agree. I really enjoy reading detailed reviews of the good and the bad as it helps me determine what is important to me. For instance, folks complaining about the new wine policy is irrelevant to me as we don't drink alcohol. We couldn't care less about pools being crowded as we never lie around the pool areas.

It is amusing at times though to read some folks response to a negative cruise. It seems as though folks are annoyed and bothered by a negative review. It's almost as if they take it personally; that they believe that there is no way that someone can have a poor experience on a Holland America ship. But it is quite possible, it is even quite possible for two different passengers to have two very different experiences on the exact same cruise. HAL knows and understand this and has a whole department whose goal is to manage this, but for some reason, some of HAL's most strongest supporters appear at times to have a hard time accepting this. I can't help but wonder sometimes if it's because many of these supporters happen to own Carnival stock ;)

I think some folks are supremely loyal to a cruise line, just like some are to airlines, wine brands, or car manufacturers.....and because it is something they love and identify with, they become super-sensitive to any critical comments of that "thing they love"......it becomes very personal to them. So instead of remaining objective and trying to look at all sides of a situation, they become somewhat personally offended, a kind of knee-jerk reaction. I understand this because some "things" in life evoke the same type of response/reaction with me!!!:o I try to curb those feelings though, and try to look at the big picture....and if folks feel a certain way, well, so be it...! It doesn't have to affect how I feel........unless I let it!! :)