Which cruise best fits us?

runner1722

Hello,

My boyfriend and I recently cruised for our first time. We went on the Jewel of the Seas, which departed from San Juan on January 5th. We are planning our second cruise in mid march. We both have off from March 14 to March 23rd. We are beach lovers, so we want more port days than sea days. We loved the itinerary on RCCL; however, we weren't too thrilled with our cursing experience. We thought our room was a bit smallish and our bathroom to be unbearable, so we would love some advice on which cruise ship we should pick in March.

We are looking for a quiet and relaxed ship with big rooms but affordable. We got a sick deal with an oceanview stateroom last time and we would like to continue on with this trend. Do you have any suggestions? Which cruise lines have the biggest rooms for the best price? Which staterooms are better for a couple who aren't going to stay in the room that often but love their space (I need my bathroom space/bedroom space)? How does RCCl compare to other cruise lines? How does the Jewel of the Seas compare to other ships in RCCL? Which ships and cruise lines are the best for a couple who don't like crowds and a lot of noise? We like to have a quiet and relaxed atmosphere while on vacation and especially during mid march (I believe the week we want to book a cruise is during spring break and st. Patricks day). We want a ship with the most variety of food that is very accommodating with allergies; as well as lots of open deck space for sunbathing during sea days and lots of sporting actives.

We cannot live without frozen yogurt, extended gym and steam room hours, and late lunch turkey club sandwiches .... So is it possible to have a ship with all the amenities listed above, or close to it?

I will take all the blame for this long post, but Please help! We are looking to cruise again because we really enjoyed it overall, but would love to have a better experience. We love the idea of island hopping and cursing is such a great way to do so ... It is very affordable too!

All answers will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Runner1722

P.S. I have boated before in smaller cabins in both research vessels and sailboats and never had a problem, but during this sailing I did. I ride a ferry to and from work, and some days it can be very rough and I have no problems! Our oceanview stateroom was located in mid ship on deck 3 and we felt so much rocking and right after the cruise I started to feel really ill. I still have sea legs and eyes! Is there any better locations for staterooms, sizes, types?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseto/cruiseitineraries.cfm?sort=date&port=121&depcity=&cl=&length=&startDate=3/1/2014&endDate=3/1/2014&portofcall=&shipID=&lifestyle=

May I point out that if you had been on the Norwegian Star with us last month in an OceanView, you would have been "cozy" (AKA cramped and crowded) -- oceanviews are barely bigger than insides and usually arranged exactly the same furniture and bathroom-wise. On the N.Star they are 159sq.ft. to 142sq.ft. or approximately 2 feet longer for the same 10' width... Yet we were bouncing around in a balcony cabin on the same ship (202-220sq.ft. counting balcony -- room for a sofa with a table in front, a taller table serving as desk with chair, and a little vanity-shelf with stool). A mini-suite is 283sq.ft. with three tables, two chairs, a sofa, two nightstands, and of course the balcony.

So perhaps what you need to do is stick with the cruise line you enjoyed, but cruise less frequently in a more expensive stateroom?

The Jewel of the Seas is almost exactly the same size (length, width) as the NCL Star and the Star had the stablest ride I can imagine. My DH is quite susceptible to motion-sickness but never had a moment of queasiness. Midship is ideal although Deck 3 is a bit low. Midship midheight puts you at the "fulcrum" of the seesaw...

Feeling sick AFTER you get off is not uncommon. Picking up a touch of a bug (cold, virus) is also not uncommon.

Until you move up to the higher end cruise lines you'll always have small rooms... especially if you're getting the cheaper ones on the ship. Space is at a premium when cruising and you pay for it. We always get a balcony room for this reason.

Carnival ships have 186 sq. ft. cabins. Some balcony cabins have a sofa which makes you feel the cabin is bigger. But all cabins have small bathrooms except for handicapped cabins. Their bathrooms are big enough to put a bed in them. But the cabin is smaller with only two closets not three.

Carnival ships have a deli open until 11pm. They make sandwiches for you while you wait and room service is 24hrs. And they have the Serenity Deck which is adult only and no smoking and they mean that. Most have a hot tub or two and some ships have a pool here too.

We have also enjoyed Princess's cabins and their food.

Try booking a balcony cabin you will get more space plus the addition of the balcony. "We don't spend much time in our cabin" goes right out the window when you book a balcony cabin, you will spend time out there. Do some more research.

Good Luck.

Jonathan

P.S. I have boated before in smaller cabins in both research vessels and sailboats and never had a problem, but during this sailing I did. I ride a ferry to and from work, and some days it can be very rough and I have no problems! Our oceanview stateroom was located in mid ship on deck 3 and we felt so much rocking and right after the cruise I started to feel really ill. I still have sea legs and eyes! Is there any better locations for staterooms, sizes, types?

Midship and low is about the best location I can think of for folks prone to seasickness. If you were bothered there, I would certainly avoid a higher deck or anything close to the front or back of the ship...

Between this, your desire for a larger room/bathroom, and the rather long list of other things you require, perhaps cruising isn't the right fit for you?

Unless you book the biggest and best of the suites on board resign yourself to a small cabin. Depending on the cruise line the average suite will be twice the size of a balcony cabin and could cost you four times as much. Yes you do get some nice perks for the money but don't expect a suite to rival the best hotel rooms in size. Small rooms are one of the compromises people make to cruise. I've paid less than half the price for a suite at a high end all inclusive land resort that was twice the size of the suites I sail in on Princess.

Carnival offers the best deal on suites if cabin size is your number one priority. You do however get no additional perks that the other lines offer.

Don't let the long laundry list fool you. I have been on research vessels and sailboats with cabins that only fit sleeping bags and had only sinks as bathrooms. But I feel we could have done better. We love island hoping, so we are planning our next cruise in march. We think that cruising is a great vacation because we love beaches and like that cruising is very economical with minimal planning.

We are booking our next vacation march 14-23 and would like help deciding on which cruise we should take. We have a few in mind. Before I list them, I would like to add that I didn't get seasick. I just felt the boat movement a butt load never like before ! I have been on many different sized vessels and sailboats and it wasn't as bad as this time. I even got sealegs that last well over a couple of days and I felt I was seasick and no it wasn't the flu. Does anyone have any suggestions? Was our oceanview stateroom the best location? Could it be the ship?

As a couple who is going to spend our most time on the islands mostly on a beach, which ship and stateroom will be the best option for us? Which ship has sandwiches available between 4-5 when we board the ship again? We are looking to port out of San Juan.

We did narrow some options and here are a few that we are looking into:

RRCL allure of the seas

RCCL Jewel of the seas (we just took this one was our first cruise)

Celebrity Summit

Carnival Valor

We want a good variety of food thats very accommodating with allergies. Does any ship have frozen yogurt deli sandwiches throughout the day and early evening? How do these cruise lines compare to one another and their ships? Which do you think has the best itinerary. We love the idea of going to aruba, but the idea of two sea days scares us. If we were to chose the allure is there a lot of open deck and plenty of space to find a spot to lay out?

Check the descriptions for the cabins you may book. Unless you are willing to spend money on a suite or the luxury lines the cabins and bathrooms will be small. Most are very similar. The new Oceania ships (not the old ones) have very nice cabins and the bathrooms are bigger than those on the ships you mentioned. Oceania is a 'premium' cruise line and the prices will be higher than the mass market and lower than the luxury lines.

As for availability of food at 5ish - most cruise lines have kind of place for a 'snack'. You could always order room service if you don't like the choices.

Since you do not like the motion of the ship (I take bonine which helps me with that) maybe you should consider an all inclusive resort. That way you will be at the beach everyday - and have a larger room and bathroom.

Don't let the long laundry list fool you. I have been on research vessels and sailboats with cabins that only fit sleeping bags and had only sinks as bathrooms. But I feel we could have done better. We love island hoping, so we are planning our next cruise in march. We think that cruising is a great vacation because we love beaches and like that cruising is very economical with minimal planning.

We are booking our next vacation march 14-23 and would like help deciding on which cruise we should take. We have a few in mind. Before I list them, I would like to add that I didn't get seasick. I just felt the boat movement a butt load never like before ! I have been on many different sized vessels and sailboats and it wasn't as bad as this time. I even got sealegs that last well over a couple of days and I felt I was seasick and no it wasn't the flu. Does anyone have any suggestions? Was our oceanview stateroom the best location? Could it be the ship?

As a couple who is going to spend our most time on the islands mostly on a beach, which ship and stateroom will be the best option for us? Which ship has sandwiches available between 4-5 when we board the ship again? We are looking to port out of San Juan.

We did narrow some options and here are a few that we are looking into:

RRCL allure of the seas

RCCL Jewel of the seas (we just took this one was our first cruise)

Celebrity Summit

Carnival Valor

We want a good variety of food thats very accommodating with allergies. Does any ship have frozen yogurt deli sandwiches throughout the day and early evening? How do these cruise lines compare to one another and their ships? Which do you think has the best itinerary. We love the idea of going to aruba, but the idea of two sea days scares us. If we were to chose the allure is there a lot of open deck and plenty of space to find a spot to lay out?

We will be on the Summit sailing you're looking at. We did the opposite itinerary on Summit last year and enjoyed it very much. I remember coming back onto the ship in the afternoon and finding small sandwiches in the buffet area. I think it was a variety of types/flavors. Turkey, ham, cheese.. very small, take several. I also remember having a late afternoon turkey burger and more than once a stir fry/pasta dish.

I found the gym to be adequate and I do not recall any details about frozen yogurt. I remember getting ice cream a few times and they might've had a frozen yogurt option. I found the stateroom to be a little small but not uncomfortable. We had an oversized balcony which helped with the room size. Bathroom was small. I've had slightly larger bathrooms on other ships, though I don't recall which. I'm not sure if that helps at all, but I do highly recommend Celebrity and Summit. It was our best cruise yet.

If you choose that one, we'll see you on board!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all your advice! My boyfriend and I choose the celebrity summit! We have booked our flights and now deciding on hotels. We made reservations at the Sheraton convention center. We are flying in on the 14 and after our cruise we are staying until Monday morning. We are trying to decide on what to do during our stay in San Juan before and after the cruise. Any suggestions? Is it worth trip to go explore PR or stay I'm San JUan if we only have two days after the cruise in PR?

The Summit is one of my favorite ships so I hope you enjoy the cruise. We've also done that itinerary many times, even when we were younger!!!!!

Do go to the Rain Forest. Bacardi does a tour if that interests you. And absolutely wander the streets of OSJ. You can easily walk the ramparts on the fort.

Check out the Ports of Call threads for San Juan.

Have a great cruise and just adjust to the bathrooms. As everyone has said it takes a suite for a roomy bath.

In the aft of the Lido buffet you can get sandwiches and pizza most hours of the day and night.

Celebrity is our favorite, and we just sailed Summit in December...in an aft facing extended balcony in concierge class. We love that itinerary. Holland America has some of the largest regular cabins but it attracts a much older demographic, and doesn't sail from San Juan.

Frankly, I find RCCL food to be very mediocre, and they charge for room service after midnight. And we have had some of our best meals and shows on Carnival. We leave next week on our 80th cruise, so I have some sense of perspective.

I haven't read all the replies, but if you go on RCI on the shorter cruises you tend to get the smaller ships with smaller rooms. RCI is having a great sale right now and have balconies for outside prices on 6-9 day cruises. It might be worth looking into a balcony!