If you had to pick 1 Island to tour, which would it be?

Cruisin' Canuck99

5 port of call on the Summit coming up soon - St Croix, St Kitts, Grenada, Dominica and St Thomas. In trying not to over plan our every stop (while still researching them all to the extreme!), I'm interested to know:

If you had to pick just 1 of those islands to book a full day tour, which island would it be and why?!

All of those islands offer plenty of activities/tours that would only require a half day. Personally, I would make St. Thomas a beach day. I would book something for Dominica and Grenada as there isn't much to do near the port area on these islands.

Grenada and Dominca are great islands to do tours. You can pick rom all day or half day tours.

Do your research but I would say do Screws Spa the spice tour and the tour that get's the wild monkeys to come out of the trees to get bananas,also the swim at the narrow gap is good(forgot name). Check out the ports of calls forum for more info.

Saffire beach at St. Thomas is also nice or St. Johns is great.

J.

:pSorry, but too many stops make for missing too much. Cruises to Bermuda leave you time for a relaxed touring schedule and then enough to do if you go back. Relaxation is the reason for our vacation and Bermuda offers that:)

The OP gave a list of the islands on the cruise and is not going to Bermuda. Although I agree with you, Bermuda is wonderful.

Am sorry, but have been to the other islands, but wanted to subtly suggest changing itinerary. If I must pick one for OP would suggest, St. Thomas or St. Martin. Have done the Caribbean twice, once east, once west. But never again. None of them offer the pleasantries of Bermuda IMO.:confused:

Am sorry, but have been to the other islands, but wanted to subtly suggest changing itinerary. If I must pick one for OP would suggest, St. Thomas or St. Martin. Have done the Caribbean twice, once east, once west. But never again. None of them offer the pleasantries of Bermuda IMO.:confused:

Personally I would pick any of the islands over Bermuda. These islands have great culture, pride in their country and sights from Volcano's to Whale watching that can never be found in Bermuda

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've definitely been perusing the ports of call boards for weeks (ok, for months....). Trying to find a happy balance with my needs (compulsive planner:p) and DH (hates having a plan :rolleyes:) and have learned over the years how to meet in the middle! Therefore, most will be beach days - but if I want to book 1 tour on 1 island I want it to be the most interesting one!

I thought I knew I was going to Magen's Bay in St Thomas as we were there last April and loved it. But sounds like we'll need to head over to St John!

I guess I'll have no choice but to book a Bermuda cruise some other time :D

5 port of call on the Summit coming up soon - St Croix' date=' St Kitts, Grenada, Dominica and St Thomas[/b']. In trying not to over plan our every stop (while still researching them all to the extreme!), I'm interested to know:

If you had to pick just 1 of those islands to book a full day tour, which island would it be and why?!

What do ya'll like to do and see? Beach, history, shop, snorkle? What is number 1 with you?

We did the same itinerary in December. Take a look at my review (link in my signature).

We enjoyed all of the ports even though the weather didn't cooperate in St. Croix.

Our all time favorite post is St. Thomas so that we can go to St. John. This time we decided to see St. Thomas and enjoyed our day.

But... the best day of the cruise was the day that we spent with Levi Barron of Bumpiing Tours on Dominica. Absolutely the best day we have spent in any port. Levi was fantastic and Champagne reef, Titou Gorge and Trafalgar falls were all beautiful.

We did the same itinerary in December. Take a look at my review (link in my signature).

We enjoyed all of the ports even though the weather didn't cooperate in St. Croix.

Our all time favorite post is St. Thomas so that we can go to St. John. This time we decided to see St. Thomas and enjoyed our day.

But... the best day of the cruise was the day that we spent with Levi Barron of Bumpiing Tours on Dominica. Absolutely the best day we have spent in any port. Levi was fantastic and Champagne reef, Titou Gorge and Trafalgar falls were all beautiful.

X2 for this tour try to make it to the "Spa" also

J.

Yeah, but you can't do Bermuda in the winter! Well, I guess you can but it won't be fun. Been to Bermuda and also most of the caribbean islands many times. I prefer the islands, for example going to St. Thomas and just relax on one of their many beautiful beaches!! Now that's relaxing.

My DH likes to be a little more adventurous than me, so with fear, I booked the zip lining in St Kitts. BEST thing I have ever done! Had a blast and felt very safe. That would be my favorite thing to repeat!

St Croix, St Kitts, Grenada, Dominica and St Thomas

If I were giving recommendations to people going to these islands who had the same taste as I do the only island I'd recommend a tour for would be Dominica. In this context I consider "tour" a general sightseeing tour. Dominica is a rain forest island. While it does have some nice water activities it is known more for the natural beauty of it's rain forests and natural scenery than for it's water activities.

Over all I prefer water activities such as snorkeling, day sails or just going to the beach more than sightseeing type touring. If you agree and your idea of a "tour" includes such activities then I'd save your full day of touring for a day sail at one of the islands.

The day sail on the Rumbaba from St. Thomas, as mentioned by YVR cruiser above, is one of our all time favorite excursions in the Caribbean. It includes a nice sail to on a smaller sailboat that carries 6 passengers max, a great snorkeling stop (unless everyone on board agrees on an itinerary with no snorkeling) and a lunch that the Captain grills on the boat which is fantastic - especially if you like grilled fish and choose the seafood entrée. Not to mention that they make a great Painkiller. (Painkiller = great rum drink originating in the Virgin Islands)

To complicate matters there are also great day sail excursions at Grenada "Shadowfax Lobster and Champagne sail", although Grenada has some of the best beaches on your itinerary; St. Kitts (a catamaran day sail with snorkeling and lunch on a beach at Nevis usually offered through the ship as the Fan-ta-sea Day Sail); and St. Croix where there are several different options for a snorkeling sail, including shorter ones, to the reefs at Buck Island.

It really matters what you are most interested in doing. I like beaches, but to me the difference between the great beaches and the good beaches is trivial. If love doing things rather than sitting on a beach. My favorite cruise day on our last cruise was a all day tour of St. Lucia. We took a speedboat to the side of the islands with the Pitons. We snorkeled, had lunch, swam under a beautiful waterfall, and took a mud bath with mud from the volcano. If that sounds like a cool day to you, I would book an all day tour of Grenada or Dominica. Not identical, but those islands seem to have similar active & interesting things. If beaches are most important, I think the other posters have good idea with St. John's. Personally, I would rather spend my money a different way that going to St. John's.

I assume you're going on the Summit based on the itinerary. As you can see from my signature, we've done the 2 Summit routes and about to do a third. We've also done the Eastern and Western too.

Personally, out of your choices, I would go with Dominica. Levi Baron, of Bumping Tours, as others have mentioned provides a fabulous day. We have many favorite islands and excursions but this one stands out by far.

Our second favorite from that itinerary was the champagne catamaran to St. John from St Thomas.

Both are very different. Dominica is a beautiful, mountainous and lush island. Absolutely breathtaking. There are waterfalls and hot springs and gorges. The beaches of St. John are beautiful. Catamarans are so relaxing and the scenery over to St. John really gives you that caribbean feel.

These are just my opinions. They all have their own different flare. Depends on what your looking for.