Laundry detergent when cruising

MtnBikerFallDown

I've read a lot of folks use Tide Pods to do laundry on the cruise. I hope I don't have to do any, but we're traveling with just a carry-on each, so I may have to! I found a different version of the pod-type laundry detergent at a great price today on amazon. Purex Ultra Pack, mountain breeze. As an add-on item, it's only $2.99 for 18! I found 5 tide pods to be that much at Target. I was already placing an order for some of the noro-virus proof hand sanitizer, so I just added this. Anyone ever used them? I figure how bad can it be, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Purex-Liquid-Laundry-Detergent-Mountain/dp/B007JYN2AU/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've read a lot of folks use Tide Pods to do laundry on the cruise. I hope I don't have to do any, but we're traveling with just a carry-on each, so I may have to! I found a different version of the pod-type laundry detergent at a great price today on amazon. Purex Ultra Pack, mountain breeze. As an add-on item, it's only $2.99 for 18! I found 5 tide pods to be that much at Target. I was already placing an order for some of the noro-virus proof hand sanitizer, so I just added this. Anyone ever used them? I figure how bad can it be, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Purex-Liquid-Laundry-Detergent-Mountain/dp/B007JYN2AU/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

which cruiseline are you sailing on because some do NOT have a self serve laundry.....

Holland America Zaandam has free detergent, it was my first cruise so I don't know if this is common across the line. You can buy a box of detergent in the travel size section. It looks like the stuff you get in a laundromat. I think detergent is all about brand loyalty, but in the end it's all pretty much the same. I personally like Tide :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, we do understand that some folks become obsessive about laundry but some of us (including DW) view vacations and cruises as a place where we do not want to spend one minute dealing with those kind of chores. DW and I cruise over 70 days a year and no longer do any laundry on cruises. On shorter cruises (less then 2 weeks) we simply pack enough clothes that we have to do no laundry...or perhaps we will send out a single load (most cruise lines have deals such as $20 for a bag). Although we know that some cruisers want to get away with only carry-ons, we think the minor hassle of checking a bag outweighs the hassles (and wasted time) having to do laundry. Many cruise ships do not even have Laundromats such as the ships of RCI, Celebrity, and some HAL ships. Those of us who cruise a lot usually get free laundry (sometimes unlimited) and we now can take advantage of that on many different lines.

On ships where they do have self service laundries (like many Princess ships) I might go to the laundry room to touch up a shirt with an iron...but if we need to do wash it goes out to the ships laundry. The self-service laundry process can be a real hassle (we have seen inflamed tempers while ironing on Princess) as folks fight over getting a dryer, washer, etc. It can easily take 2 hours to do a single load...and ship dryers do not always dry very well. And if you do not hang around the laundry room (just what folks love to do when on cruises) you might return to find your clothes out of the dryer (or washer) and piled somewhere because another passenger decided to use your machine.

Now we do know one regular Princess cruiser who enjoys spending several hours a day in the self-service laundry. It is almost like she cruises just so she can socialize in the laundry room...and I guess that is one of those different strokes kind of things. But DW and I prefer to spend our time in a deck chair, sipping wine on our balcony, in a bar, etc.

Hank

The Purex pods work great. I buy the ones with no scent or dyes, I think they're called 'free' I. Think they're cheaper because they aren't as big a name as Tide.

Obviously since you're only taking carry-ons, they'll be in there. I put them in my 3-1-1 bag not sure if you have to or not.

When I'm forced to do laundry on our land vacations, I bring a couple sheets of these. (And I actually cut them in half lengthwise to get double bang for my buck - find that even half a sheet works well enough.) Detergent and dryer sheet all in one. Takes up much less space/weight than pods.

http://smile.amazon.com/Purex-Complete-Laundry-Sheets-Spring/dp/B0053XE87A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390330923&sr=8-2&keywords=purex+3

Hmmm ... I thought that the detergent used in the ships' machines had to be compatible with their water treatment systems, and that you aren't supposed to use Tide or All or whatever because it would mess up the entire system ...

On our longer cruises, we do use the self-laundry, we don't hang out but we do watch the clock to be sure and get back well before our time has expired. I use the little Woolite packets to wash some of my tops in the cabin sink.

which cruiseline are you sailing on because some do NOT have a self serve laundry.....

Sorry, should have mentioned that! Princess, so I'm good!

When I'm forced to do laundry on our land vacations, I bring a couple sheets of these. (And I actually cut them in half lengthwise to get double bang for my buck - find that even half a sheet works well enough.) Detergent and dryer sheet all in one. Takes up much less space/weight than pods.

http://smile.amazon.com/Purex-Complete-Laundry-Sheets-Spring/dp/B0053XE87A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390330923&sr=8-2&keywords=purex+3

You know, I can't find these anywhere anymore! I did not realize Amazon had them. That would be nice, as they aren't liquid!

As I've said, I'm hoping we'll be able to skate by without doing it (I hate doing laundry at home, let alone vacation, LOL)!

Hmmm ... I thought that the detergent used in the ships' machines had to be compatible with their water treatment systems, and that you aren't supposed to use Tide or All or whatever because it would mess up the entire system ...

On our longer cruises, we do use the self-laundry, we don't hang out but we do watch the clock to be sure and get back well before our time has expired. I use the little Woolite packets to wash some of my tops in the cabin sink.

I did not know that! I'll email Princess and make sure those are okay to use! I just read several threads that said they're often out of the detergent in the laundry rooms. Didn't want to get caught without!

Oh, and to whomever mentioned doing them in the 3-1-1 bag (I thought I quoted it, but it's not showing up), I had actually thought of that and figured I'd have to put them in there. I'm going to have the oddest assortment of items in there! I have CRAZY rosacea and I can only use these products that are handmade. They come in large, glass jars. So, I've had to scrape some out and put them in little plastic sample containers. It looks like I'm carrying a cosmetic sample buffet. LOL! But, it's worth it to not be splotchy and red and itchy all cruise long!

You know, I can't find these anywhere anymore! I did not realize Amazon had them. That would be nice, as they aren't liquid!

Emily - yes, found out they've been discontinued. :mad: :mad: I actually just bought 3 econosize boxes on Amazon. :D

And just fyi - for travel sizes - love this website - http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=detergent. Laundry detergent and so much more.

Edited by cruisin*tigger

Due to allergies (including to regular laundry detergent), we use just allergen free detergent. As we've been aiming for cruises that are longer than 7days, that means doing a couple of loads of laundry. I never heard that Princess or any other cruiseline with laundry rooms issuing a request to just use the boxes in the vending machine.

I've only used the laundries on HAL ... they have automatic dispensers that feed the detergent right into the machine.

I hate having to do laundry while on vacation, but since we've started taking longer cruises it's the only way to keep luggage manageable.

Put a folded washcloth in a baggie, then add your favorite liquid detergent. It'll soak in, and since it's not liquid any more, not have to be in your 3-1-1 baggie. Less risk of spilling than the powered stuff, too. Rub the cloth on stains to pre-treat, then drop it in the washer with your clothes.

We use (store brand) Woolite, which has less suds and rinses easily in the cabin sink... swish the washcloth in into the basin for hand-washing.

Put a folded washcloth in a baggie, then add your favorite liquid detergent. It'll soak in, and since it's not liquid any more, not have to be in your 3-1-1 baggie. Less risk of spilling than the powered stuff, too. Rub the cloth on stains to pre-treat, then drop it in the washer with your clothes.

We use (store brand) Woolite, which has less suds and rinses easily in the cabin sink... swish the washcloth in into the basin for hand-washing.

Great idea for a bathing suit. If anything more than that needs washing I will gladly pay someone to do it while I go out and have some fun. It's my vacation after all !

We use the Purex 3 in 1, but pull off the fabric softener strip. I discovered that it would leave spots on some of the clothes. They aren't permanent stains, but more like an over saturation. Once the package I have is gone, I'll use the pods and dryer sheet or the wash cloth soaked in tide method.

I don't mind doing laundry on vacation. I'd rather do it myself and know what can go into the dryer, etc.

I did not like the 3-in-1 sheets because they left spots on my clothes. I switched to the unscented Purex pods and they work just fine.

I put a few of them in a freezer weight zipper bag, tuck it into a shoe in a checked bag, and am good to go. If I were not checking any bags, I would do as someone ekdse mentioned ... put them in my "liquids" bag for taking on a plane.

Ok, we do understand that some folks become obsessive about laundry but some of us (including DW) view vacations and cruises as a place where we do not want to spend one minute dealing with those kind of chores. DW and I cruise over 70 days a year and no longer do any laundry on cruises. On shorter cruises (less then 2 weeks) we simply pack enough clothes that we have to do no laundry...or perhaps we will send out a single load (most cruise lines have deals such as $20 for a bag). Although we know that some cruisers want to get away with only carry-ons, we think the minor hassle of checking a bag outweighs the hassles (and wasted time) having to do laundry. Many cruise ships do not even have Laundromats such as the ships of RCI, Celebrity, and some HAL ships. Those of us who cruise a lot usually get free laundry (sometimes unlimited) and we now can take advantage of that on many different lines.

On ships where they do have self service laundries (like many Princess ships) I might go to the laundry room to touch up a shirt with an iron...but if we need to do wash it goes out to the ships laundry. The self-service laundry process can be a real hassle (we have seen inflamed tempers while ironing on Princess) as folks fight over getting a dryer, washer, etc. It can easily take 2 hours to do a single load...and ship dryers do not always dry very well. And if you do not hang around the laundry room (just what folks love to do when on cruises) you might return to find your clothes out of the dryer (or washer) and piled somewhere because another passenger decided to use your machine.

Now we do know one regular Princess cruiser who enjoys spending several hours a day in the self-service laundry. It is almost like she cruises just so she can socialize in the laundry room...and I guess that is one of those different strokes kind of things. But DW and I prefer to spend our time in a deck chair, sipping wine on our balcony, in a bar, etc.

Hank

While we appreciate your opinion and you have valid points you did not answer the OPs question. BTW we don't like doing laundry either while on a cruise.

To the OP:

I have used the Purex pods before and I find them just as good as the Tide pods. Of course I use Purex Liquid Laundry Detergent too.

But if you ever sail on Royal Caribbean leave the pods at home since Royal does not have self-service laundry facilities onboard.

Emily - yes, found out they've been discontinued. :mad: :mad: I actually just bought 3 econosize boxes on Amazon. :D

And just fyi - for travel sizes - love this website - http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=detergent. Laundry detergent and so much more.

Minimus has some really great stuff. I follow them on Pinterest and they have some of funniest posts, especially when Universities are going back to school. They stuff they pin on their back to school boards can be hilarious.

I had never heard of this. That's genius!

While we appreciate your opinion and you have valid points you did not answer the OPs question. BTW we don't like doing laundry either while on a cruise.

To the OP:

I have used the Purex pods before and I find them just as good as the Tide pods. Of course I use Purex Liquid Laundry Detergent too.

But if you ever sail on Royal Caribbean leave the pods at home since Royal does not have self-service laundry facilities onboard.

I've never used the pods (any brand). I should be getting the ones I ordered in a day or so. I'll try them out before I go to make sure I don't have any freakish allergic reaction to them!

Thanks so much for the answers and tips/tricks on this one! If I do have to launder, I will think of y'all as I'm toiling away in the laundry room! LOL!