What is wrong with Independence?

RavennaM

Indepence 8 days is one cruise what we are considering doing next winter. So I am wondering why does she constantly gets so bad reviews? We are considering it mainly because of its gym, running track, boxing ring and itinerary of course. Why does so many people feel disappointed after Indy cruise? Wondering if she is wrong choice for us... What is your experience?

We (party of 7) sailed her last year on the 8 day Eastern itinerary. We found her to be great!

She had yet to be upgraded with a couple of things (Coke freestyle machines, TV screen on the pool deck), and I am not the most up to date so those may be done already - I dont know.

But we had a blast.

Indepence 8 days is one cruise what we are considering doing next winter. So I am wondering why does she constantly gets so bad reviews? We are considering it mainly because of its gym, running track, boxing ring and itinerary of course. Why does so many people feel disappointed after Indy cruise? Wondering if she is wrong choice for us... What is your experience?

We did the 8 day last in Dec 2012 and had a wonderful time. There were some very minor service issues, I think due to high turnover of the crew when the ship got to the US.

I will give you my bff's daughter and fiancée's opinion. They got off the ship on 1/12/14 and had a FABULOUS cruise! She has cruised several times before on RCCL and Princess, so she knows what to expect. It was his first cruise.

They loved, loved, loved everything.

We went on the 8 night cruise a few years ago with our whole family, and we also had a wonderful time.

When I check reviews I read the most recent, and then go to the time of year I'm planning to cruise and read those from last year.

We were on the Indy last March, and we did enjoy the cruise.

However, we felt that the service on the Indy was not on a par with the service we received on the Freedom and the Liberty. It's not that it was bad, but instead of being outstanding, it was just okay. Maybe it was just the contrast with the other ships.

Service in the MDR on the Indy was horribly slow every night we ate there. I don't know how it is now and if they've ironed out the kinks, but that was our experience.

We missed the Logo shop, the Indy doesn't have one.

That being said, it's still a great ship. We loved our cabin and the ship was clean and nice, although showing some signs of wear and tear. The ports were wonderful.

Nothing wrong! Just returned with family of 7( adult kids) and all was good. There is a screen on deck by the way- no freestyle coke machine, but how could that possible affect your cruise? Ship is beautiful, service great ( except in Chops) Plenty of space to spread out-.

We usually sail Celebrity or Oceania but chose RCI for the kids and think it is fine!

Thanks guys! So, we will be making our decision based on something else than bad reviews. We actually just came back from Oasis and I really doesn't understand people who are complaining about her. Because I think everything was so amazing!!

We cruised on the Indy first in 2011 then in 2012. We LOVED it. Didn't find the problems other people have such as slow service. We sailed on the Brilliance last year because of the itinerary and although it was a nice ship we didn't find it as good as the Indy. Would sail on her again if given the opportunity.

Also just off 8 day cruise on Indy on 12th January. She is in fantastic shape. She had a refit last April and we sailed on her in May 2013 in Norway and were more than happy to sail on her again.

Cabins were spotless, staff very friendly, no worries. Big screen over the pool too. Main dining room was busy and the waiters seem to have a lot more tables than they used to, but service was fine. :)

My mum sailed on Indy last May and loved it! She couldn't talk highly enough of nearly every aspect. She is returning this May for an 8 night and then in November we are doing the 14 night TA. She has sailed on Allure, Brilliance and Jewel as well and Indy was pretty much her favourite!

Have a brilliant cruise!

Jo :)

Sounds great! Do you remember what time there were breakfast in main diningroom and is there ala carte and buffet like Oasis? Also interested about the time of indoor cycling classes and other morning fitness classes. Anyone saved compass?

We sailed on the 8-night itinerary last January and loved it so much we are booked on her again - heading out in 11 days!! No complaints from our party of 5. Found her a really easy ship to navigate and was worried we might be overwhelmed with 4300 passengers but it never felt crowded! Book, go and enjoy:D

The original poster must be reading the wrong reviews.

Independence of the Seas is a fine ship. She was just refurbished last year as well and according to recent cruisers...looks like brand new!

We're looking forward to our 6-day cruise and port from balcony cabin aboard this fine vessel - only about 2 months away. WOO HOO!

Indy is a great ship but I would wait at least till January to sail.

We sailed early December and everything felt like they were still in Europe mode.

Give her a chance to acclimate to being back in the US.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I'll echo caution about sailing on Independence in December. I sailed on dec 7 eight night cruise and ship had very large population of seniors - many of them very cranky seniors!

I asked my table mates about odd demographic (ship, time of year, what?) and they said rcl does group sales to retirement communities for weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas cruises.

You can add me as another happy Independence of the Seas cruiser. I sailed on her last March and will be sailing on her again in seven and a half weeks. She's a great ship and offers a great 8-night itinerary.

My only disappointment with her was the shops on the Royal Promenade. I prefer the mix of shops that Royal Caribbean has on the rest of her US-based ships, like the Logo Shop, as shutterbug63 mentioned.

I'm excited to see her post-drydock and see what her upgrades are like.

You can add me as another happy Independence of the Seas cruiser. I sailed on her last March and will be sailing on her again in seven and a half weeks. She's a great ship and offers a great 8-night itinerary.

My only disappointment with her was the shops on the Royal Promenade. I prefer the mix of shops that Royal Caribbean has on the rest of her US-based ships, like the Logo Shop, as shutterbug63 mentioned.

I'm excited to see her post-drydock and see what her upgrades are like.

Has she already been refurbished? Don't want to book until it has been done!

We sailed on the 8-night itinerary last January and loved it so much we are booked on her again - heading out in 11 days!! No complaints from our party of 5. Found her a really easy ship to navigate and was worried we might be overwhelmed with 4300 passengers but it never felt crowded! Book, go and enjoy:D

Us too! We can't wait! Ready to get out of the cold, snowy Midwest!!

Also, OP, check out post #10 in this thread for a link to the Compasses for the 8-night itinerary: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1956034&highlight=independence.

Happy cruising!

Has she already been refurbished? Don't want to book until it has been done!

I believe Indy was refurbished around May 2013. Here is what they did:

Outdoor movie screen

Cupcake Cupboard

Giovanni’s Table (replaced Portofino)

Digital Signage

Pervasive Wi-Fi

Nursery

Edited by clarea

Just got off Indy on Sat 1/18 and let me tell you it was one of the best cruises I ever took.

The ship is beautiful and the crew was wonderful. Joff was our CD and he was amazing

He has so much energy he was everywhere he puts on a great show.

Yes There was a large screen on the pool deck