Knee replacement-BA/Santiago airports

Nanner

Since I'm new to flying with a knee replacement, I wondered if anybody could give feedback on whether they experienced any extra hassle at either the airport in Santiago or Newberry airport in Buenos Aires when going through customs. We have flights once we are in South America within Argentina from BA to Iguazu, then in Chile to Easter Island and back to the USA.

Since I'm new to flying with a knee replacement, I wondered if anybody could give feedback on whether they experienced any extra hassle at either the airport in Santiago or Newberry airport in Buenos Aires when going through customs. We have flights once we are in South America within Argentina from BA to Iguazu, then in Chile to Easter Island and back to the USA.

I'm not sure about Buenos Aires, but at Santiago we had 2 member of our tour group with knee or hip replacements. They had all the proper forms but I'm not sure the security or airline staff read English so they had to explain to our tour guide that they had metal as part of their hip or knee and the tour guides (who traveled with us) spoke Spanish to Airport Security and Airline staff members to explain their medical condition. I saw them get a pat down instead of going through metal detectors. Our tour guide actually made sure they walked on the planes (LAN Airlines) first along with children, seniors needing assistance, and 1st class.

Hi Nanner,

I've had my new knee for almost a year and have passed through a few overseas airports since then. I always let security know as I approach the xray machine line that I have a replacement.

In the U.S. they usually want me to go through those newer back scatter machines instead of the older metal detectors as that shows the replacement knee clearly and then no problem.

In the foreign airports I again explain in English while also clearly gesturing to my knee. Here they tend to use the old metal detectors so I end up getting the pat down and wand but again have not had an issue. But just in case I wear lose fitting pants so I could always pull up the pant leg and show off my lovely scar:rolleyes:

See you on board the Zaandam next week.

At both airports we saw people in wheelchairs being assisted through the queues. I am sure that the airline could arrange for a wheelchair at the destination airport. We saw people in wheelchairs being taken through the immigration lines around the normal queue.

At both airports we saw people in wheelchairs being assisted through the queues. I am sure that the airline could arrange for a wheelchair at the destination airport. We saw people in wheelchairs being taken through the immigration lines around the normal queue.

:confused: I don't understand this post. The OP did not mention anything about a wheelchair.

Why would the OP ask for a wheelchair to be provided unless one is truly needed?

:confused: I don't understand this post. The OP did not mention anything about a wheelchair.

Why would the OP ask for a wheelchair to be provided unless one is truly needed?

Perhaps I assumed to much, I know people that have recently had knee replacements and cannot stand for extended periods of time. I thought that using a wheelchair might facilitate their movement through the queues for immigration.

• 1 month later...

I also have a new knee. Any airport that has the walk in scanner, in the machine you stand in, there is no problem. If a regular walk through metal detector, sometimes you are patted down by hand and then a hand metal detector, they take you aside. On the ship they take you aside and use the hand wand metal detector.

I also have a new knee. Any airport that has the walk in scanner, in the machine you stand in, there is no problem. If a regular walk through metal detector, sometimes you are patted down by hand and then a hand metal detector, they take you aside. On the ship they take you aside and use the hand wand metal detector.

Agree. DW is now bionic (14 weeks ago), and the TSA told us this exact thing on our flights last week. The back scatter body scan machine handles artificial knees perfectly.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I'm not sure about Buenos Aires, but at Santiago we had 2 member of our tour group with knee or hip replacements. They had all the proper forms but I'm not sure the security or airline staff read English so they had to explain to our tour guide that they had metal as part of their hip or knee and the tour guides (who traveled with us) spoke Spanish to Airport Security and Airline staff members to explain their medical condition. I saw them get a pat down instead of going through metal detectors. Our tour guide actually made sure they walked on the planes (LAN Airlines) first along with children, seniors needing assistance, and 1st class.

I have flown several times with a knee replacement. In general conversations with security, they don't care about forms. If they do not have the body scanner, where you walk into it and raise your arm, you will get a pat down with a wand. I have no problem with that. Anyone can write a false letter or form. I get a pat down every time I leave my hometown.

I was in Santiago and went the full body scanner, same as in the US. I have knee replacement.

• 1 month later...

I have a new knee replacement, no problems anywhere. Just walk into the tube put your arms up. That is it!! We were in BA and Santiago this past January.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

At my hometown aiarport, Asheville, NC I have to get a full body pat down. Oh well it is worth having the new knee.

• 2 weeks later...

No none; If there is a body scan you go right through. If not, a woman patted me down, not as much as at our local airport and used the wand. No one uses a printed letter from a doctor. They told me they are not worth the paper they are written on. anyone can write a letter.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors