Should friend bring Marriage License!

beller

Hi all.

My friend is going on our March Cruise with my wife and I. Will she need to bring her marriage license along with her birth certificate and drivers license. My wife and I have passports and I do not know the answer. We are going on the Breeze out of Miami. Thanks for all the help you guys give me.

As the previous poster suggested, it will be in your friends best interest to bring along her marriage license with her birth certificate and photo ID. The marriage license is required as in most cases the last name of married women are different on their birth certificate and photo ID.

My DM and I both had to show ours in New Orleans. Luckily I had read on here that it could be needed so I've always carried it and had made sure she had hers.

Don't know what the rhyme or reason is on why or when they want to see it, but it does happen.

My DM and I both had to show ours in New Orleans. Luckily I had read on here that it could be needed so I've always carried it and had made sure she had hers.

Don't know what the rhyme or reason is on why or when they want to see it, but it does happen.

You would have still gotten on. Don't know why some check in people want to see it and others don't. No way it could be a hard and fast rule. If it was, all would be checked.

Never heard of anyone being denied boarding because they didn't have it

You would have still gotten on. Don't know why some check in people want to see it and others don't. No way it could be a hard and fast rule. If it was, all would be checked.

How do you know? Were you asked for yours and then allowed to board without it?

Not trying to be snarky here, just don't see how you could know that with 100% accuracy.

If she booked the cruise as Mary smith and that is what her bc and dl say she is fine

If she booked as Mary jones and her bc and dl say Mary smith she need the bridge document aka her marriage cert to prove she married Willie jones and legally using that name

If pax just book the cruise under the same name as their legal docs they will not have a problem

I book as Mary smith jones which matches my dl and pp so as to never have an issue

But because I know about all of the misinfo out there and the lack of knowledge on the part of many check on clerks I have no problem tucking my bc and marriage license in my pp.

It only benefits and doesn't hurt me

Your BC does not have a PICTURE on it. It has a different last name on it. It is called a bridge document to show you changed your name. It makes perfect sense.

Watch the Travel Channel. Sorry you never heard of it, but apparently, with TV shows on TV like the Travel Channel, a million other people heard of it.

Your BC does not have a PICTURE on it. It has a different last name on it. It is called a bridge document to show you changed your name. It makes perfect sense.

Watch the Travel Channel. Sorry you never heard of it, but apparently, with TV shows on TV like the Travel Channel, a million other people heard of it.

Heard what?

Please bring it - my daughter in law almost did not get to board on one of our cruises because her passport was in her maiden name. They did eventually let her board (I think we were going on Celebrity) but it was a pain standing there holding things up while they checked with additional people what to do.

How do you know? Were you asked for yours and then allowed to board without it?

Not trying to be snarky here, just don't see how you could know that with 100% accuracy.

Easy. Lots of people have reported on CC that exactly this happened.

Anyway, it is the wrong question. The cases more on point would be those who were asked for it and denied boarding when they did not have it.

If she booked the cruise as Mary smith and that is what her bc and dl say she is fine

If she booked as Mary jones and her bc and dl say Mary smith she need the bridge document aka her marriage cert to prove she married Willie jones and legally using that name

If pax just book the cruise under the same name as their legal docs they will not have a problem

I book as Mary smith jones which matches my dl and pp so as to never have an issue

But because I know about all of the misinfo out there and the lack of knowledge on the part of many check on clerks I have no problem tucking my bc and marriage license in my pp.

Great response.

Spot on!!! This is the reason for bringing your marriage license. I totally agree in just being sure to book the cruise in the name that matches your legal docs.

I imagine some honeymooners and their TA's, who should know better btw, will book the cruise as Mr. John Smith and Mrs. Mary Smith.

However, this is one big can of worms as Mrs. Mary Smith is actually still Ms. Mary Jones at the time of booking and I would imagine, and it doesn't take much thought here, that at the time of booking her legal docs all say Mary Jones as there would be no way she could change her DL or PP until she gets the legal Marriage Cert from the county clerk. About 3 weeks after the ceremony and after the bride and groom signed the papers and the minister, priest or judge files the papers with the county of residence.

Therefore, a bride and groom that leave 24 hours after their ceremony for a honeymoon will not as of that time have an official marriage license. They might of course have an document that the person that performed the ceremony gave them and that might be accepted. But I wouldn't chance that. In the old days it was one thing, and it was important to prove legal marriage for a man and woman to share a cabin but those days are long gone and John and Mary can share a cabin and nobody cares, what they care about is the legal docs that prove name. Stick to booking under the name of your legal docs. You will have plenty of years to be called Mrs. Smith.

Bottom line is that no TA worth their salt would book under a married name for newlyweds and with everyone booking online these days, it is very important to read the fine print!

I pity the poor couple who giddily books their honeymoon online and thinks "Oh, we will be Mr. And Mrs. Smith by then" and then books the bride as Mary Smith, when in fact she can't prove she is Mary Smith and can only prove she is Mary Jones at check in!

Please bring it - my daughter in law almost did not get to board on one of our cruises because her passport was in her maiden name. They did eventually let her board (I think we were going on Celebrity) but it was a pain standing there holding things up while they checked with additional people what to do.

She should have booked the cruise in the name on her passport.

These days no one cars that Miss Jane Doe is traveling with Mr John Smith.

Just a question but when you get your name changed on your drivers license, don't you have to provide your marriage license to do so? Which would in turn make your drivers license your bridging document?

I got married in 1991 so I don't really remember what I did back then and I have been divorced since 2005 and have no idea where my marriage license is. I haven't been asked for it at Charleston, Miami or Jacksonville. But after reading info about this last year I got scared and I brought my divorce decree which is stamped from the court showing my maiden and married names. I kept my married name because I have been my married name longer than I have been my maiden name. It was just easier to keep it. (and I am rambling....again) :o

But my main question is....isn't it required, in order to obtain a name change on your DL, to provide a copy of the marriage license there fore making the DL the bridging document.

Just a question but when you get your name changed on your drivers license, don't you have to provide your marriage license to do so? Which would in turn make your drivers license your bridging document?

I got married in 1991 so I don't really remember what I did back then and I have been divorced since 2005 and have no idea where my marriage license is. I haven't been asked for it at Charleston, Miami or Jacksonville. But after reading info about this last year I got scared and I brought my divorce decree which is stamped from the court showing my maiden and married names. I kept my married name because I have been my married name longer than I have been my maiden name. It was just easier to keep it. (and I am rambling....again) :o

But my main question is....isn't it required, in order to obtain a name change on your DL, to provide a copy of the marriage license there fore making the DL the bridging document.

I don't recall providing a marriage cert for my name change on dl. But dl is not your bridge doc as a bridge doc is a doc which legally states your maiden name and also stAtes who you legally married and of course his last name which is presumably the name you took. Thus proving you have gone by 2 different last names.

The real point is to book the cruise in the same name as your legal docs

Fwiw and I do not possess one but divorce papers may also prove your use of 2 different names. Yes? Or no?

Also whatever name is on the dl is the name the cruise should be in.

All of this is much ado about nothing because legal docs should have the name you book with and it is all security measures plus customs issues anyway

It is not ways about being able to get out of the country rather it is about being let back in. That is why the cruise lines are so strick at embark. They WANT to be sure you will be able to debark 7 days later. Lol because it is US customs not the cruise line that decides if you get back in or if you stay on the ship where the captain then must provide for you. He can't just dump you off

Ask your grandparents why there are so many Italians in Argentina. They couldn't get in at Ellis island so they were sent back to the ship and many of those ships made a stop in Argentina before returning to Europe. They moved people. Cargo. Whatever. Those ships didn't ever sail empty. They always had cargo of some sort and from what I am told it was no problem to just walk off the ship in Argentina without approval. Must be why they did this route and I bet the captains encouraged those pax to settle in Argentina. More room for goods for the ship. Thus more profit

Edited by Crusin6