Airport transfer question

OldBoot

I am debating whether to hire our hotel's car transfer or to use the metro when we arrive in Athens pre-cruise. We arrive around midnight on a Saturday night after a long international flight from Canada. We are staying at the Grande Bretagne on Syntagma Square. There is a metro station across the square, but I am leery of dragging luggage around publicly late at night. The cost of the car hire is high, but perhaps a bargain for peace of mind. What would you do?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

Have you considered the express airport bus (X95)?

It's easier than the metro. You get on at the airport (right outside where you pick up your luggage), and it takes you direct to Syntagma. There are racks on the bus for luggage. It takes about one hour, maybe a little less at that time of day.

I did this when I arrived Athens and was staying at the Grande Bretagne. Couldn't have been easier. Price now is 5 euro pp I believe and the buses run several times each hour, 24 hours a day.

On the other hand, I travel solo so it's a big difference between 5 euro and a taxi fare. After arriving from a long TA flight, you may feel the fare is well worth it.

Thanks cruisemom42. The bus is a good option. But I think you are right. After a long TA flight, its likely I'll have less than half my wits about me. I believe I'll arrive in style this time.

Now, about the return trip to the port to join our cruise....I believe we can do public transit. What can you recommend?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately, public transportation for getting to the port from Athens isn't ideal with luggage. You'd need to get on the metro at Syntagma, go one stop to Monastiraki to get on the Green line, which would then take you to Piraeus.

It's the next part that makes it difficult: when you get off the metro, it's a healthy walk to the cruise port entrance -- depending where your ship docks it's 30-40 minutes. I believe there's a bus (included with your metro ticket) but 2 metro lines + walk or bus would probably be more than most want to take on with luggage.

By comparison, a cab to the port should only run about 25 euro at most.

Edited by cruisemom42