Room Inspection

jolson56

Friends of ours had their room checked and all rum runners removed.

Is anyone aware of this procedure?

They went to Guest Services and were told 15 rooms a day are randomly checked.Their rum runners were not returned to them.

Thanks in advance :)

They went to Guest Services and were told 15 rooms a day are randomly checked.Their rum runners were not returned to them.

Were they empty or full?:rolleyes:

I say good for them. It was known contraband and it looks like RCL is taking a bolder stand on the Rum Runner. I am sure this is sad news for most but I am shocked that it has taken this long for them to catch on to a better way to find these in luggage or rooms.

When we have used them, we keep them out of sight. I would be more than upset if they went through drawers and closets looking for them. :mad:

Leaving them out in the room is only asking for trouble IMHO. I would be curious to know if they were out in the open.

Edited by MS52

When we have used them, we keep them out of sight. I would be more than upset if they went through drawers and closets looking for them. :mad:

Leaving them out in the open is only asking for trouble IMHO. I would be curious to know if they were out in the open.

Totally agree. Geez Louise people, don't flaunt the fact that you are breaking the rules.

Leaving them out in the room is only asking for trouble IMHO. I would be curious to know if they were out in the open.

Bringing it on the ship is asking for trouble. Good for RC for stepping up and getting strict with people that smuggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I doubt they can just go through your things without having a valid reason, just like I don't think they can inspect your room without having a valid reason to. If I catch them in my room, they better be making the bed or making a towel animal.

Does anyone know if random inspections is in the contract that is signed prior to boarding?

Were their rum runners out in the open or were they in a drawer? I have heard of people losing their rum runners because a housekeeping supervisor saw them out in the open when they were checking cabins. I have also seen posts where people have said they keep their rum runners in the safe so they don't get their steward in trouble.

I doubt they can just go through your things without having a valid reason, just like I don't think they can inspect your room without having a valid reason to. If I catch them in my room, they better be making the bed or making a towel animal.

Does anyone know if random inspections is in the contract that is signed prior to boarding?

Yes they do have the right as you sign it way in the contract...:eek:

Section 8 i & j

In the interests of safety and security, Passengers and their baggage are subject to inspection or monitoring electronically with or without the

Passenger's consent or knowledge.

j. If Carrier exercises its rights under this Section 8, Passenger shall have no claim against Carrier whatsoever and Carrier shall have no liability for

refund, compensation loss or damages of Passenger, including but not limited to any expenses incurred by Passenger for accommodations or

repatriation.

I say good for them. It was known contraband and it looks like RCL is taking a bolder stand on the Rum Runner. I am sure this is sad news for most but I am shocked that it has taken this long for them to catch on to a better way to find these in luggage or rooms.

Yea!!! another big step for big brother!!!!:rolleyes: A "better way" to stop a few booze "smugglers" is to search everyone's room at random?????? I have NEVER stayed in a hotel where they searched my room after checking in, and don't believe a cruise line should either:(

yea!!! Another big step for big brother!!!!:rolleyes: A "better way" to stop a few booze "smugglers" is to search everyone's room at random?????? I have never stayed in a hotel where they searched my room after checking in, and don't believe a cruise line should either:(

#like

Yea!!! another big step for big brother!!!!:rolleyes: A "better way" to stop a few booze "smugglers" is to search everyone's room at random?????? I have NEVER stayed in a hotel where they searched my room after checking in, and don't believe a cruise line should either:(

I travel a lot for work

I have had housekeeping supervisors check how the maid is doing there job.

Thats what they get paid to do.

Im guessing it is the same on a cruiship

A hotel room you can bring your own booze..

But how stupid is someone to leave rumrunners in plain site:rolleyes:

Edited by jonbgd

They may have been tipped off that they had the rum runners which gives them the right to enter the room once they have cause to believe that you have contraband. Contract is broken at that point so you have no rights.

Oh, I have. I travel a lot to cat shows and have had my room randomly checked to make sure the cat is crated. Have friends who decided to stay at a place that didn't permit pets because it was nicer. Even thought the immaculate Persian was secure in a tent, they returned from dinner to find their room key deactivated. They were told to pack up and leave immediately.

I'm glad to see the cruiseline is actually starting to enforce their rules. Oh, BTW, I've also stayed in hotels where there was a sign at registration stating that no outside alcohol was permitted. Not so easy to enforce but it gives them certain rights if someone is having a booze fest in their room.

They may have been tipped off that they had the rum runners which gives them the right to enter the room once they have cause to believe that you have contraband. Contract is broken at that point so you have no rights.

Love that word "contraband". Makes us all sound like we're running guns for Al Qaeda.

Supervisors inspecting rooms might not only be looking for properly cleaned rooms. They could also be looking things such as irons, candles, signs that cigarettes have been smoked in the room, clothing left on the balcony and other fire hazards, safety hazards or illegal drugs or even damage to the room. Rum runners are probably just a small part of what supervisors look for when they inspect a room.

It's their ship and their rules and contract. I have never stayed in a hotel where it was against the rules to bring your own alcoholic beverages either so that's not quite an even comparison to a cruise ship.

I'm guessing that these rum runners were left in plain sight in the cabin there by allowing the ship to enforce the rules of the cruise contract.

It's their ship and their rules and contract. I have never stayed in a hotel where it was against the rules to bring your own alcoholic beverages either so that's not quite an even comparison to a cruise ship.

I'm guessing that these rum runners were left in plain sight in the cabin there by allowing the ship to enforce the rules of the cruise contract.

Finding the rum runners in plain site probably gives them the right to check your entire room for contraband!

Finding the rum runners in plain site probably gives them the right to check your entire room for contraband!

It's very similar to the "plain sight rule". If a police officer were to come into your home for whatever reason you may have summoned them and they see illegal drugs in "plain sight" they can seize those drugs and search that area of your home without a search warrant as the drugs in "plain sight" gives them probable cause to search.

Edited by Eng23

It's very similar to the "plain sight rule". If a police officer were to come into your home for whatever reason you may have summoned them and they see illegal drugs in "plain sight" they can seize those drugs and search that area of your home without a search warrant as the drugs in "plain sight" gives them probable cause to search.

Yes sir and same thing goes for your car too

Once we had our steward show up at our door with 2 security officers. Security said there was a report that we had candles in our room. They asked to look around and did a cursory search. When they didn't find anything, they left. The steward apologized and said it must have been a mixup. Weird!!!!

Could've been a passenger that thought they saw something while passing your room. All they need is someone to say something like that and that's enough probable cause to do a search. It doesn't help that people actually smuggle that kind of stuff on board the ship.