Room Inspection

jolson56

They have a right to make sure we all follow rules on their ship. If you don't like it, quit smuggling or stay home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

take it easy, cowboy ... tone it down a little ...

...and theres a fine line between over-policing and keeping your customers happy and showing them that you value their business.

it shows they are ONLY concerned about the bottom line .. this is not about dangerous contraband .. its about $$$ .. pure and simple.

and to go searching passenger cabins for smuggled liquor is beyond overkill here. its NOT a matter of security or safety.

Edited by F27TW

...and theres a fine line between over-policing and keeping your customers happy and showing them that you value their business.

it shows they are ONLY concerned about the bottom line .. this is not about dangerous contraband .. its about $$$ .. pure and simple.

and to go searching passenger cabins for smuggled liquor is beyond overkill here. its NOT a matter of security or safety.

If you live in the United States you should know everything comes down to money. It's not overkill if it's not allowed. Their rules! You follow them or pay the consequences

Calm down?? Says the guy that cursed lol

If someone gets hurt while drinking their smuggled liquor, who's fault will that be? It's definitely a safety concern. They can stop people from drinking at the bar, but who cuts off the smugglers booze?

If someone gets hurt while drinking their smuggled liquor, who's fault will that be? It's definitely a safety concern. They can stop people from drinking at the bar, but who cuts off the smugglers booze?

except, that's NOT why they're doing it !

The Captain of the ship is the only authority on that ship at sea. You do not have a 4th Amendment right to require a warrant or probable cause for the cruise line to search anything on their ship. There is a major difference in a cruise ship in International Waters and the glove box of your car parked outside of your house; or even in a hotel room on land.

no, that's total bullsh*t. its not a jail cell where the "authorities" have any business coming in and checking for "contraband".

if, by this point, you got your liquor by the checks the cruise line has in place to prevent it, then they have NO business coming in and rifling thru your personal space and belongings looking for it ... that's a serious invasion of privacy and I'd have a MAJOR problem with this.

I could see if there were suspected drugs or illegal activity of some sort, but NOT for smuggled liquor

It can't really be worth pissing customers off SEARCHING THEIR CABINS to enforce this policy ... just to "make a point"

By your comment I can tell that you have never read the cruise contract that you signed. Just because you were able to "sneak" it past them does not mean if they see it out they cant come in and take it or look for it is they see fit. You may compare it to jail but you signed the contract that allows them to search any time they want for any reason they want. You can be mad all you want but I am sure every cruise line has this in their contracts.

Please remember how this thread started....a third party report with no specific info. No one actually said their belongings were randomly searched in their room and I have a hard time believing RCI would do it. In fact, having worked with cruise lines in a law enforcement capacity for many years, I've never heard of any of them doing it.

Yessss...it kind of is. Although money comes into play, too. You've been around here long enough to know they are still smarting over the George Smith incident, court ordered/cruise line policy changes and the "brought onboard" absinthe. :)

So basically it is scuttlebutt ;)

Most likely this is what we Nevadans call "bull ****". I too have been on many cruises and can't even imagine this happening, but if it did...the cruise line is covered under their contract. They basically do have "the right" to do this according to the contracts pax sign at boarding the vessel.

And for the Americans: remember that at sea, you have no "rights". Only privileges. Your rights "ceased" the moment you stepped foot onto the gangway.

"When I was younger, I used to wonder if strangers would like me. The older I get, the more I wonder if I will like them."

I like your quote. I feel that way often. :D:):D

Edited by Coralc

They have a right to make sure we all follow rules on their ship. If you don't like it, quit smuggling or stay home.

so if they search your cabin looking for whatever they are looking for you're ok with them checking the wife's personal items, checking your camera for pictures of contraband, your computer, etc.. looking through your meds, etc.. they call you down to security before they will open a bag they suspect of something but they have a free pass to your cabin?

Friends of ours had their room checked and all rum runners removed.

Is anyone aware of this procedure?

They went to Guest Services and were told 15 rooms a day are randomly checked.Their rum runners were not returned to them.

Thanks in advance :)

This is just BS! Things people do for attention!

I personally know of two instances where rooms were searched for "probable cause" on board ships. One was RCI, the other I don't remember, but it could have been Celebrity.

The first instance was in port, when the occupants got off the ship. One of them forgot something and went back to the cabin to find it being completely searched.

The second was early one morning when the guests were in bed and answered a knock on the door. It was security and they were asked to wait in the hallway (in their pajamas) while their room was gone thru. In this instance, it was two guests traveling solo, each in different cabins, and it happened to each of them. They were asked a number of questions including "Why do you cruise so much", as they are FREQUENT cruisers. There was no appology in either instance.

In other words, basically you have no rights.

By your comment I can tell that you have never read the cruise contract that you signed. Just because you were able to "sneak" it past them does not mean if they see it out they cant come in and take it or look for it is they see fit. You may compare it to jail but you signed the contract that allows them to search any time they want for any reason they want. You can be mad all you want but I am sure every cruise line has this in their contracts.

then how would u feel if suddenly, following YOUR logic, some cruise line security authority came and threw you up against the wall out by the pool and decided to pat you down ... "because you signed the contract that allows then to search any time they want for any reason they want" .. OR opened your cabin door while u were making naughty with your wife to search your cabin for rum runners ... "because you signed the contract that allows then to search any time they want for any reason they want" .. u still gonna be happy with that ?

are you still going to "care as much as you do" about this and continue to bend over forward so much for this cruise line?

Edited by F27TW

Please remember how this thread started....a third party report with no specific info. No one actually said their belongings were randomly searched in their room and I have a hard time believing RCI would do it. In fact, having worked with cruise lines in a law enforcement capacity for many years, I've never heard of any of them doing it.

I know, Aqua .. and ure right, I;m sure ... it just blows my mind (and infuriates me) the way some of these fanboys and cheerleaders on here defend the line no matter WHAT ... u know who I mean

I personally know of two instances where rooms were searched for "probable cause" on board ships. One was RCI, the other I don't remember, but it could have been Celebrity.

The first instance was in port, when the occupants got off the ship. One of them forgot something and went back to the cabin to find it being completely searched.

The second was early one morning when the guests were in bed and answered a knock on the door. It was security and they were asked to wait in the hallway (in their pajamas) while their room was gone thru. In this instance, it was two guests traveling solo, each in different cabins, and it happened to each of them. They were asked a number of questions including "Why do you cruise so much", as they are FREQUENT cruisers. There was no appology in either instance.

In other words, basically you have no rights.

I am a solo cruiser and while ordinarily I don't see this happening, I can see where THIS scenario COULD happen.

In such instances, my first questions to the cruisers who were searched would be:

1. What itinerary were you on? (caribbean, they'd be looking for drugs. Middle East, well, you get the picture. Med - same thing. )

2. Are you now, or have you ever been, a **** disturber? ( Member of, shall we say, an "activist" group?)

3. Have you used any illegal / illicit substances?

Solo cruisers DO attract attention of security for various reasons. I've never had a problem (all four feet, eleven inches of me is pretty non-threatening) but I can see where the PROFILING of solo cruisers comes into play.

Having said all that, if it happened to me: I have no real problem with it. Search away. The worst you might find is a personal enjoyment device and since I am not cursed with the American Anti-pleasure Genome, it doesn't bother me at all.

Edited by artist47

But I'm inspected every time I enter the ship too. They should do a better job searching for contraband. They could also be held responsible for someone that drinks too much alcohol especially if it's not from their bars.

Some say the current policies regarding buying bottles onboard etc are a result of the Smith case where some of the parties concerned were drinking smuggled Absinthe before the tragedy.

Some say the current policies regarding buying bottles onboard etc are a result of the Smith case where some of the parties concerned were drinking smuggled Absinthe before the tragedy.

Whoa dude....do tell ALL...what tragedy? Absinthe??? That's pretty hefty stuff...what happened? (forgive my ignorance but I have no idea what you are talking about and it sounds pretty serious. Please do share.)

I am a solo cruiser and while ordinarily I don't see this happening, I can see where THIS scenario COULD happen.

In such instances, my first questions to the cruisers who were searched would be:

1. What itinerary were you on? (caribbean, they'd be looking for drugs. Middle East, well, you get the picture. Med - same thing. )

2. Are you now, or have you ever been, a **** disturber? ( Member of, shall we say, an "activist" group?)

3. Have you used any illegal / illicit substances?

Solo cruisers DO attract attention of security for various reasons. I've never had a problem (all four feet, eleven inches of me is pretty non-threatening) but I can see where the PROFILING of solo cruisers comes into play.

Having said all that, if it happened to me: I have no real problem with it. Search away. The worst you might find is a personal enjoyment device and since I am not cursed with the American Anti-pleasure Genome, it doesn't bother me at all.

The two solo travelers I am referring to believe they were singled out, not because they were solo travelers per se, as they travel together, but in separate cabins. They believe because they do b2b2b to Mexico, they were suspect of smuggling drugs. If you knew these two you would know how rediculous that is.

You say you would have no problem with it, but picture this: you are standing in the hallway in your pajamas while your cabin is being searched and others are looking at you as if you are a criminal. It's more than just embarrassing, it's humiliating, among other things.