Cruising with Fibromyalgia,etc

molly5673

Kiddo, I don't have any underlying health problems to speak of, but the cruise is MY vacation too. Some may see it as a chance to participate and explore, but for me a cruise is mostly an opportunity to relax and regenerate. I never nap at home, but I do it regularly on a ship. If my travel companions want to do something while I'm napping or on my balcony reading, I figure they're grow ups and can decide what they want to do… and then they do it. Whether I'm traveling w/ a friend or a significant other, they've participated in shipboard activities AND excursions… with and w/o me and no one ever thought twice about it.

Please don't feel guilty. Look at it this way, if it were your DH w/ the fibro and you didn't have it, you wouldn't want him to feel guilty for needing to rest. And you wouldn't resent it that he needed to rest.

I think you're being harder on yourself than you need to be. We tend to have a lot less patience w/ ourselves than we'd have with our loved ones.

Bravo! (or should that be Brava?) ;)

I agree that, regardless of your relationship to the other cruisers in your party, a "not-joined-at-the-hip" policy works best for everyone. For example, I wouldn't be caught dead on Flowrider, but my DH loves it. So, I take my camera (and laugh hysterically) at him trying to keep up with the youngsters! :D

I fms now since 2005. Now I m age of 52. Going on cruise jewel,of the seas thus fall this will be my 3 time. One of the thing was my main concern was bed. Freedom of the seas in 2007. Their bed was so damn comity. Slept well has balcony. I made sure I ate the right food stay low on drinks. I remember after lunch took a.

Little,rest than was rested for evening. My husband did do his things while I was resting like an hour or two. But we went off ship in morning to noon early afternoon. Took our time walking.

In 2010. Everything went good. Same thing. We had pr room. This oct will have inside cabin.

I also made sure I went into whirlpool for a little bit on both ships. I am not fond of shows because I always fell asleep

FYI. I have fms. Broken disc on lower back. Please do not let fms stop u. Think postive. Warm weather. Take time eat right. Most,of all have fun

I fms now since 2005. Now I m age of 52. Going on cruise jewel,of the seas thus fall this will be my 3 time. One of the thing was my main concern was bed. Freedom of the seas in 2007. Their bed was so damn comity. Slept well has balcony. I made sure I ate the right food stay low on drinks. I remember after lunch took a.

Little,rest than was rested for evening. My husband did do his things while I was resting like an hour or two. But we went off ship in morning to noon early afternoon. Took our time walking.

In 2010. Everything went good. Same thing. We had pr room. This oct will have inside cabin.

I also made sure I went into whirlpool for a little bit on both ships. I am not fond of shows because I always fell asleep

FYI. I have fms. Broken disc on lower back. Please do not let fms stop u. Think postive. Warm weather. Take time eat right. Most,of all have fun

Thanks. I'm trying. I just feel so old because of all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am 39 and have FMS and connective tissue disease. I have felt the same way you do in regards to feeling old and feeling like you are holding back your DH from enjoying himself. You have to come to terms with your illness. Realize that you need to rest more often and not get stressed out. Worrying about all of this can throw you into a flare. A scooter can really be helpful. I sometimes use one at the grocery store if I'm feeling tired or sore that day. It has been a lifesaver for me. I had to get over the stigma of looking like an old lady or not feeling worthy of using one because other people were more disabled than i was. You have a disability. I'm sure all your DH wants is for you to be happy and as comfortable as you can be. He would probably gladly give up extra time doing meaningless activities in order to spend quality time with you when you feel rested. Rest, relax and enjoy yourself.

Make sure to get a cabin with a balcony. You can send DH off on his own and you can step outside for some Caribbean sun and air. That little bit of outside makes a big difference if you are in the cabin a lot of the time.

I have fibromyalgia also, and congestive heart disease. I was diagnosed with fibro in 1996. I take neurontin for the fibro.

I try to do a fair amount of walking, it does seem to help me. There are things that DH would like to do and if I can I go with him I will, but when there is a flare up he knows to go off and enjoy and bring back pictures.

I think we know our bodies best and we have to listen to them. I have eliminated a lot of foods from my diet that has helped me also.

Go and have a great time, do what you can and don't feel bad not doing what you can't. Take care. :)

Thanks. I'm trying. I just feel so old because of all this.

old is a state of mind. the more stubborn you are the more long term damage you do to yourself and the sooner you end up worse and able to do even less.

been there, done that.

I have AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis--same class of autoimmune as Fibro), and was worried before my first cruise as well.

In addition to what's already been suggested, one of the lessons I've learned is to not push to hard on the flight(s) to get to the port. Long plane rides are hard, which means deplaning and heading straight to a bus/shuttle to the port and then straight into a line for check-in can be just about unbearable. Now we make sure to arrive the day before, so I can spread out the line-standing and shuttling.

Also, it probably goes without saying, but I try to time my injections/meds so that I am taking the most effective meds right before the trip. I'm not above using a prophylactic steroid pack, either.

I don't have fibro, but am undergoing cancer treatments that cause severe pain and weakness in my legs. I walk with a cane, but tire out easily. This is our first cruise since I began the treatments.

Can scooters be rented onboard?

Do they have to be reserved in advance?

:confused:

Guess because I've never needed one, I didn't notice them.

Thanks, and sorry to hijack the thread.

I don't have fibro, but am undergoing cancer treatments that cause severe pain and weakness in my legs. I walk with a cane, but tire out easily. This is our first cruise since I began the treatments.

Oh you didn't hijack. It's a great question. I have no idea. I'd call and ask because they probably get gone the 1st day

My husband has cancer and also tires easily. We asked for a wheelchair at the airport for our last cruise and that really helped. I talked to another passenger on the cruise about his rented scooter and thought renting one for our August cruise would help him. There is so much walking on the ship.

We have not rented a scooter yet. We are going with Princess. They advise to use a third party if you don't have your own. They recommend these companies that fit Princess' mobility equipment requirements, --www.specialneedsatsea.com, http://www.cruiseshipassist.com. Contact your cruise line to which agency they recommend.

If you do not have a handicap cabin, make sure the scooter will go through the regular cabin door. The scooter company will deliver and pick up at the ship. The scooter must be stored in the cabin.

Edited by phabric

no. you need to go through a place like Care vacations at sea to reserve one. it will be in your cabin and you leave it there at the end. you will also need to book in advance for a wheelchair f you go that route as the ones on board are for emergencies only.

keep in mind that you may have to now book a HA cabin if you do get one. they cannot be stored outside( ECVs are a major hazard in the hallways)

look at a rollator.. walker with an attached seat. fairly inexpensive and some insurance policies pay for them.

I have a digestive disorder and have had similar thoughts. After several cruises, I've found that one of the best things we've done is to cruise with another couple. When there's four of us there are many more options available to us. Often times it's a "guys go this way, girls go that way" kind of day. Sometimes it's "I feel awful, you three go on without me" kind of day. In any case, there's plenty for everyone to do without anyone feeling left out or neglected.

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to share that I've decided to go with a manual wheelchair. DH says he doesn't mind pushing me around if I am too fatigued to walk the ship. A chair costs between $125-200 whereas scooters rent for around $175 for a 7 day cruise and we get to keep the chair. Just a suggestion.

I just wanted to share that I've decided to go with a manual wheelchair. DH says he doesn't mind pushing me around if I am too fatigued to walk the ship. A chair costs between $125-200 whereas scooters rent for around $175 for a 7 day cruise and we get to keep the chair.

I'm 28, have FMS and own a manual wheelchair. My partner is a darling and willing to push me whenever I need it. For cruising on Disney I need a roll/walk-in shower so I request an accessible stateroom. On Royal, since there are no tubs standard I can use a regular room (yay!) and request a shower chair. It's a bit tight and I can't do everything on my own but we manage.

Our last Royal cruise I brought my chair and stored it under the bed on days it wasn't required. Be advised a manual wheelchair will not fit through the regular stateroom doors with you in it!

It was VERY helpful for the line checking in and through customs on the way out. Be advised you will be helped onto the ship by a crew member through a separate entrance if you bring your own chair.

This worked out really well for us on Liberty (a Freedom class ship).

Edited by notsomadhatter
Typo

Molly5673, my DH has a severe spinal cord injury & had to learn how to walk all over again. Cruising has been a great way to vacation for us. If we aren't traveling w/ another couple, I am not shy. I check the daily schedule for things that he may be interested in & give him the options. If he's not feeling well, he just rests, & I go to trivia or another activity. Another nice option to dining is Room Service. It's your vacation, so enjoy. We do some stuff together & some stuff apart. That's the beauty of cruising, you can do as much or as little as you want. Enjoy!!!:)