Berlitz 2014 Cruise Ship Rateing

hypercafe

just looked at the 2014 ship ratings, Crystal ships are 1 & 2 in their class and the O class Oceania ships are 3 & 4 in the same class. Sounds great to me as we are back on the Riviera in March and then on the Symphony in June. Regent is talked about a lot on both boards, they did not show in their class nor did Azamara.

just looked at the 2014 ship ratings, Crystal ships are 1 & 2 in their class and the O class Oceania ships are 3 & 4 in the same class. Sounds great to me as we are back on the Riviera in March and then on the Symphony in June. Regent is talked about a lot on both boards, they did not show in their class nor did Azamara.

Sounds great, but never heard of Berlitz rating cruise ships.

Thanks, I will have to look for it. Should be very interesting. :):)

The book with all the ratings is "Berlitz Cruising & Cruise Ships" by Douglas Ward.

They publish an updated version every year. List price is $24.99, but you can get it cheaper at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

It contains detailed info that I found very useful when I started cruising.

9781780047492_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Berlitz is the only one that I would consider

all the rest are not worth bothering with.

Wow, never knew that. Learn something new every day if I am lucky. Always thought that O was something special and just had it confirmed by an expert. Can't wait for our Feb, cruise. :):)

Berlitz is the only one that I would consider

all the rest are not worth bothering with.

Frankly I could care less what the so called experts at Berlitz have to say about the ships. I prefer the honest opinions of fellow Cruisers here on CC.

Does Berlitz accept paid advertising I wonder ?

Does Berltz consider what dress code I prefer ?

Are the reviewers at Berlitz named in the Reports ?

So many questions......

Brian

Frankly I could care less what the so called experts at Berlitz have to say about the ships. I prefer the honest opinions of fellow Cruisers here on CC.

So many questions......

Brian

+1

Back in the day, I eagerly devoured Cruise publications by Fodors, Berlitz, Birnbaum et al, because they were literally the only outlet to Ship reviews and ratings.

They all seem tragically dated in today's World....

I disagree. On each of the boards on these forums, you have almost obsessive devotees to their favorite cruise line that I don't think there is a lot of objectivity amongst many of the posters. Occasionally there are some very objective posters who will compare cruise lines unemotionally and I appreciate that. But for someone like myself who is trying to decide between two new lines and one that I have cruised on before, I have not found a lot of fact based information, but a lot of cheerleading. It is nice that everyone loves their favorite ship and line, but personally I appreciate an objective analysis once in a while!

So many questions......

Brian

+1

I respected them at one time ....... they belong in the last century.

While I love Oceania, any resemblance between Oceania and Crystal is coincidental!

I find the Berlitz book very useful--I buy the new one every year (they also have an app). It's a good way to compare ships and cruise lines and provides a lot of basic information that is helpful, such as crew to passenger ratio, space ratios, information about size of public rooms and cabins, and other statistics, as well as general descriptions of décor, entertainment, food options, and type of people who are likely to enjoy the ship. It is definitely not a substitute for Cruise Critic, but if you are open to consider cruising on different ships or a variety of cruise lines, it is a very useful resource for a relatively modest price (considering the cost of cruising).

Does Berlitz accept paid advertising I wond

Does Berltz consider what dress code I prefer

Are the reviewers at Berlitz named in the Reports

So many questions.......

Brian

Your cynicism is unwarranted--they do not take ads, Mr Ward reviews all ships personally, preferences of passengers are addressed. Have a look--its very much worth it.

Edited by leonardofan

Your cynicism is unwarranted--they do not take ads, Mr Ward reviews all ships personally, preferences of passengers are addressed. Have a look--its very much worth it.

Id like to believe that what you say is true, and while it is correct that there is no paid advertising in the Berlitz Cruise Guides per se, Douglas Ward uses that springboard to sell himself as a Cruising expert on any number of Travel Sites which ARE advertisement driven.

douglasward.jpgPertinent to the veracity of his "reviews", his likeness is all over the Internet, so I'm finding it difficult to believe that Mr. Wards' shipboard experiences are painted with the same unfiltered varnish as yours or mine.

I just finished reading MiMi Sheratons' excellent autobiography in which she outlines how she was forced to prematurely resign as the New York Times Restaurant Critic, when her face became known and restaurant owners universally refused to grant her a "normal" experience in their dining rooms.