Bad Trivia Questions

You know what really irritates me is when someone wins because they know the state fish of Hawaii because they were on previous RCI cruises.

ACTUALLY ... they knew the state fish of Hawaii because they were standing in a long line, at the ABC in Honolulu, and had nothing better to amuse themselves than to memorize that very long name that was prominently displayed on a sign in front of them ... :cool:

Can you just answer TriggerFish or do you have to know Humuhumunukunukuapuaa?

Tom

ACTUALLY ... they knew the state fish of Hawaii because they were standing in a long line, at the ABC in Honolulu, and had nothing better to amuse themselves than to memorize that very long name that was prominently displayed on a sign in front of them ... :cool:

It gets frustrating when the pax know more than the "Trivia Master" regarding the cruise line.

Q: Which ship had the first Starbucks at sea?

Cruise line answer: Oasis

Correct answer: What is now Starbucks, on the Oasis, was originally Mondo Café. After they put Starbucks on the Allure, they changed the Mondo Café to a Starbucks. So the correct answer is Allure. Just try to convince them of that, though ... :(

Can you just answer TriggerFish or do you have to know Humuhumunukunukuapuaa?

Tom

It was actually a question asked by the CD, while he was roving the ship with a camera operator, for the Cruise-in-Review video. Some of the answers were pretty funny (my personal favorite: Rainbow Trout). I was the only one who got the answer correct ... a stupid factoid that takes up an inordinate amount of space in my memory bank! :( ... And, yes, the correct answer is as you mentioned (too lazy to type it out) ... or the shortened version: Humuhumu...blah blah...yada yada. :p

Yes, I love my trivia and I found it poor on RCI. Why can't they just buy one of the professionally created trivia programs for the line. Delta airlines, wings and pizza places do. Is that so hard. I really don't like it when people are sloppy and that is exactly what happens. I just want a real trivia game. If a pizza parlor can do it, why not a cruise line.

Did I still enjoy it. Yes. But, just sloppy. I really could do with one less parade and better trivia questions.

Normally have more to be annoyed with team members than wrong answers by the cruise line staff. I've come across wrong answers even in the commercial games.

I still have to giggle over this one.

Q:Which car logo features the Southern Cross?

CLA: Subaru

Subaru's logo is the Pleiades, not the Southern Cross.

Edited by MonDreamr1

And "they" were in Honolulu as a result of an RCI cruise ftw.

And "they" were in Honolulu as a result of an RCI cruise ftw.

Actually not ... it was on my Honeymoon, about 13 years before the cruise. Like I said ... taking up valuable real estate amongst the memory cells ... :o

Back on topic:

Sometimes there are 2 correct answers that are completely different:

Question: What is the Star of India?

Cruise Line Answer: A Star Sapphire

Our Answer: A sailing ship and museum in the San Diego Harbor.

The Trivia Master agreed to Google it, and our answer was at the top.

Result: Both answers received credit (which was the correct decision)! :D

I think I've only played once. Classic Rock trivia on Jewel in 2012, and the useless information in the back of my brain paid off and we actually won!

But, I'd be really disgusted if the CD answer, for instance, was "Teenage Wasteland" instead of "Baba O'Rlely"! That could provoke a near violent reaction!

For some of the "wrong" answers, I have to wonder if something wasn't lost in translation. It's not uncommon for an English language movie title, for instance, to have a literal translation into another language, and then be literally translated back into English. So, if (and I'm not saying it was!), "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was marketed in French as "Indiana Jones", and the CD was a Francophone, I can totally see "Indiana Jones" as the answer!

Yes, I love my trivia and I found it poor on RCI. Why can't they just buy one of the professionally created trivia programs for the line. Delta airlines, wings and pizza places do.

Delta's trivia is someehat annoying for anyone who is not British since it was obviously produced there with questions about cricket and local English geography.

. . . Sometimes there are 2 correct answers that are completely different:

I thought the fish thing was on the cruise. But this one I remember. Fortunately two gentlemen on the team like to tour museum ships [from Midway and ahem the Star of India in San Diego to HMS Victory in Southampton and several in between. As the picture below indicates, they saw the Star of India after touring the Midway during Monarch's final California cruise. When the question came up, as I recall the senior ranking gentleman [both have prior military experience] asked the junior if his memory was correct. The junior confirmed it and the rest, as they say, is history:

StarofIndia_zps1e4166e6.jpg

Edited by mjldvlks

Yes, I love my trivia and I found it poor on RCI.

Worst was on Carnival.

The person with the lowest score was brought to the front and presented with a "ship on a stick" while being serenaded with a chorus of "loser" chants. Many thought it was hilarious. I thought it was humiliating!

For some of the "wrong" answers, I have to wonder if something wasn't lost in translation. It's not uncommon for an English language movie title, for instance, to have a literal translation into another language, and then be literally translated back into English. So, if (and I'm not saying it was!), "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was marketed in French as "Indiana Jones", and the CD was a Francophone, I can totally see "Indiana Jones" as the answer!

She was Japanese ... and she was wrong (not that I'm bitter ... ) :p ;)

PS: I Googled the movie poster for Japan ... My Kanji is rusty but I'm pretty sure it's "Raiders of the Lost Ark." ;) :D

I would have given credit for thigh as well.

How odd to use one of the worst terrorist attacks in history as a trivia question! Especially when it didn't happen that long ago.

Yes, it was really a poor choice.

You know what really irritates me is when someone wins because they know the state fish of Hawaii because they were on previous RCI cruises.

That's not eh only reason someone might know that though. We've never had a question about in trivia, but I am nearly positive my teens would get it; I recall them singing an annoying camp song about that fish for many years when they were younger :p

The nene, Hawaiian goose, is the state bird.

Beat me to it. Actually, The Humuhumu was not the state fish -- at least not oficially between 1989 and 2006. It was first designated in 1984 but for some reason, some in the legislature [in true legislative fashion] questioned the poll that led to the designation and insisted that the designation be limited to 5 years. The expiration was apparently forgotten until 2006 when a legislator's child pointed it out and the designation was renewed and made permanent.

That's not eh only reason someone might know that though. We've never had a question about in trivia, but I am nearly positive my teens would get it; I recall them singing an annoying camp song about that fish for many years when they were younger :p

I think it was a "High School Musical" song.

Actually not ... it was on my Honeymoon, about 13 years before the cruise. Like I said ... taking up valuable real estate amongst the memory cells ... :o

Back on topic:

Sometimes there are 2 correct answers that are completely different:

now here in the UK the Star of India comes up first as a Sapphire but the next one says its a good Indian restaraunt.

Worst was on Carnival.

The person with the lowest score was brought to the front and presented with a "ship on a stick" while being serenaded with a chorus of "loser" chants. Many thought it was hilarious. I thought it was humiliating!

I've played a lot of trivia on Carinval and never saw that. Unless there was some kind of inside joke, that is simply poor behavior on part of the cruise staff running the trivia.

Beat me to it. Actually, The Humuhumu was not the state fish -- at least not oficially between 1989 and 2006. It was first designated in 1984 but for some reason, some in the legislature [in true legislative fashion] questioned the poll that led to the designation and insisted that the designation be limited to 5 years. The expiration was apparently forgotten until 2006 when a legislator's child pointed it out and the designation was renewed and made permanent.

This kind of stuff is why I'm glad that you're my Trivia teammate!!! :D

now here in the UK the Star of India comes up first as a Sapphire but the next one says its a good Indian restaraunt.

Funny, because when I Googled it, for this discussion, the first listing was an Indian restaurant in Folsom, CA (which is fairly near to me and is NOT the prison). I doubt it was the same restaurant you saw, however! :rolleyes:

Question.... What is the second most spoken language in the United States?

Cruiseline Answer... Polish

My real pet peeve... those who sail back to backs and come to the trivia the second week knowing all the answers. We just had this on Celebrity and the woman actually tried to conceal the fact that she had taken the same trivia test the week before. When called out by the staff person her response was, "My lanyard is getting old. I want a new one." This attitude ruins it for everyone who is being honest!

Polish is the second most spoken language in UK, not US. In US its spanish of course...