Bad Trivia Questions

As a long time regular trivia attendee (every Tuesday naught for 7 years) I have learnt that it's not the right answer in trivia, It's the answer the trivia organiser has in front of them :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My real pet peeve... those who sail back to backs and come to the trivia the second week knowing all the answers.... This attitude ruins it for everyone who is being honest!

So the rules are you can't participate in trivia if you cruised before, or just if you cruised last week???? Guess we'll need to find something else to do on our cruises later this year :eek:

A trivia contest is based on people recalling mostly useless information, hence the term TRIVIA, that they obviously heard or read or saw before.... even last week? We've had questions repeated from the day before - we should have been honest & disqualified ourselves, along with all the other competitors calling out "we had that one yesterday!" :D

We do the trivia games for fun & to meet people, but I guess that's just us.

Happy cruising

I know, I know... :rolleyes: don't take the trivia games too seriously. We're here to have fun and maybe win a keychain!

But I thought it would be good to start a thread on some of the more contested questions and answers that have popped up during the Trivia contests. Maybe RC will catch wind of this and clean up some of the questions. Or at least it gives the more serious players somewhere to vent their point of view on a question! :mad:

Feel free to add any Q & A's from your cruise experience as well as your point of view! ;)

Here's a few from our latest cruise:

Q: How many bits in a byte.

Cruiseline Answer: (I'm not going to give it away)

Discussion: It depends on the computer architecture. I'm aware of 3, 4, 8, 16 and even a 60 bit byte, the last coming from an old CDC mainframe circa 1970's.

Q: How many "properties" on a Monopoly Board

Cruiseline Answer: (involves counting all of the paper deeds in the gameset)

Discussion: It depends on your definition of "property". One could argue that railroads and utilities aren't a "buildable property" and wasn't what the author of the question was looking for.

Q: Who invented the bra?

Cruiseline Answer: Otto Titzling or Titzlinger

Discussion: It's an amusing urban legend, but not true.

A similar line of amusing Q&A's...

Q: Who invented the toilet?

Cruiseline Answer: John Crapper

Discussion: Another urban legend. Mr Crapper was in fact a plumber who invented a related part, the ballcock, but not the flush toilet.

Q: What is the name for C2H50H

Cruiseline Answer: Alcohol

Discussion: Specifically, it's ethanol, or ethyl alcohol. Alcohol is a generic description, as there are many types. For instance, wood alcohol or Methanol, and rubbing alcohol or Isopropyl.

All other questions and discussions are welcome! :)

Please vent here - don't harass the poor activities staff workers. They're only doing their job!

Funny.

On the Explorer last May, Captain Loy held a Trivia contest. All the questions were about the Explorer, Royal Caribbean or nautical terminology. It was both fun and educational. Prize was the chart of the current cruise.

We had that a couple of years ago at the Welcome Back Party, but it was hosted by the loyalty ambassador. One question was what was RCI's first ship named. There was a near riot when he gave the "correct" answer as Song of America. I think everyone in the room yelled out Norway.

So the rules are you can't participate in trivia if you cruised before, or just if you cruised last week????

If it was last week, absolutely!

What fun is there for everyone if one person knows and shouts out all the correct answers and acts like a know-it-all?

As I mentioned, on our cruise two weeks ago, one woman tried to get away with participating the second week with a quiz she had taken the week before. She hoped to get away with it and win another lanyard.

So, to answer you...

If it was last week, no you should not participate (except as an observor).

In any case, we ALWAYS tell the person doing the trivia if we have had the same quiz before. That is fair. I really don't see your point at all when another quiz can be substituted!

In any case, we ALWAYS tell the person doing the trivia if we have had the same quiz before. That is fair. I really don't see your point at all when another quiz can be substituted!

Heck, we still give the wrong answer if we have had the question several times (lol). Just what color is goat's milk? Pink? Blue? We never can remember.

That being said, we've had several situations where the host has started a trivia with the same questions as were asked the day before. Many times, no one will say a word until we speak up after the third question is asked and we are pretty sure it is the same sheet.

I always look for a little kid to give away the prizes. They are thrilled with a highlighter or ball point pen. If it is something nice like a hat or fanny pack (rare), then we will give them to the second place winners or anyone around us that has been nice.

Tucker in Texas

Funny, because when I Googled it, for this discussion, the first listing was an Indian restaurant in Folsom, CA (which is fairly near to me and is NOT the prison). I doubt it was the same restaurant you saw, however! :rolleyes:

How about you come to me and we try ours then I come to you and we can do a compare and contrast trivia of our own, could be a lot more fun :D

not on rccl but an italian line

what's the world's best selling record? huge argument. is 'record' a single song or entire album? host didn't understand any of the arguments and opinions of the players. no fists were thrown but tables were pushed over on purpose.

That is pitiful....grown, adults pushing over a table while disputing a game. Grow up people....:rolleyes: I would hate to be playing trivia with people like that...DH and I only play if the weather is inclement or there is nothing else to do. We don't play to win, we play to have fun and meet other people!!

. . . Q: What year was the first Super Bowl? Cruiseline Answer: 1967

Discussion: The '67 and '68 games were titled "AFL-NFL Championship Game". The '69 game was the first to be billed as the "Super Bowl".

So I got to be the "arbitrator" for a tie breaker in a Super Bowl Trivia contest in a bar near Fargo ND. (I happened to stop in to buy a bottle of water just before the tie breaker question was to be asked - and since no one there knew me I was agreed upon to be "neutral") .

And the question was "combined how many Lombardi Trophies have the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers won?" Official answer given was 10, but none of the participants got it right. So I was supposed to decide if the guy who guessed 9 or the one who guessed 11 was "closer"

As the officially sanctioned tie breaker, my answer was "since the really right answer is 8, . . . 9 is closer" --I was met with blank stares by the bar crowd -- until I explained my logic. Since the first two trophies were not yet named the "Lombardi Trophy" 9 is the closer to the right answer.(after all, the first two games were won by the Vince Lombardi-coached Packers, they really were not "Lombardi Trophies" - I'm not real sure when they named it in his honor or memory).

Stupid? Yup, but there are always plenty of ways to look at any question. At least there was some "logic" to my decision. :D

It was late January, it was about 40 or 50-some miles from Fargo, and so it seemed to be vitally important to the contestants. I got my water (gratius) and left quickly :D

You know what really irritates me is when someone wins because they know the state fish of Hawaii because they were on previous RCI cruises.
What would be more irratating is having two 8YOs decide that Humahumanukanukaapuaa (or however you spell it) was the funniest thing they had ever heard so they make up a song to the tune of "wooley booley" (sp again!) and sing it over and over and over again behind you on a six-hour island tour. Ear-worm! THAT is irratating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trivia contests on board, yup the "incorrect" answers can be annoying, but generally everyone is having fun. It is the folks who have binders (yes binders) of prior trivia questions/answers, and/or feel it necessary to argue every question that suck the fun out of it. The only time DH and I felt compelled to leave was when one of the kill-joy contestants started berating the Brazilian woman who "dared" to pronounce "wicked" (as in Wicked Witch of the West) - wick'd (as in "the revolutionary fabric wicked the moisture from his skin")

That was no fun!

Edited by Onessa

Heck, we still give the wrong answer if we have had the question several times (lol). Just what color is goat's milk? Pink? Blue? We never can remember.

We can relate to that. We have had twice or maybe three times now a question about the name of the little hard bit on the end of a shoelace. We say, "oh we know that", scratch our heads and then can't recall the answer. As I type this right now, I can't think of it again :eek:

Here's another one...

Q: What year was the first Super Bowl?

Cruiseline Answer: 1967

Discussion: The '67 and '68 games were titled "AFL-NFL Championship Game". The '69 game was the first to be billed as the "Super Bowl".

True...but if you google "super bowl winners" they list the Green Bay Packers as the winners of Super Bowl I and Super Bowl II. They retroactively named those games as Super Bowls.

Even better trivia question would be; Who picked the name Super Bowl and how did he thing of it?

We can relate to that. We have had twice or maybe three times now a question about the name of the little hard bit on the end of a shoelace. We say, "oh we know that", scratch our heads and then can't recall the answer. As I type this right now, I can't think of it again :eek:

The aiglet. :)

True...but if you google "super bowl winners" they list the Green Bay Packers as the winners of Super Bowl I and Super Bowl II. They retroactively named those games as Super Bowls.

Even better trivia question would be; Who picked the name Super Bowl and how did he thing of it?

I know, I know. Well sorta. The wife of a "suit" in management in football suggested it after seeing her kid's super ball.

Tucker in Texas

How about you come to me and we try ours then I come to you and we can do a compare and contrast trivia of our own, could be a lot more fun :D

You're on!!! I'm probably flying through Heathrow this Summer, for our river cruise. Are you nearby??? ;)

What would be more irratating is having two 8YOs decide that Humahumanukanukaapuaa (or however you spell it) was the funniest thing they had ever heard so they make up a song to the tune of "wooley booley" (sp again!) and sing it over and over and over again behind you on a six-hour island tour. Ear-worm! THAT is irratating.

Well, THANKS A LOT for that earworm that I will be humming for the next couple of days! :mad: ... ;)