Consolidator Fares

Smiles3usa

Just wanted to share the other side of the coin.

I have used consolidator fares a number of times. Three times for Transatlantic cruises, twice for Asia cruises and once of a meditrerrian cruise. For the Transatlantic cruise, the airfare was $1600 less than the published fare; for Asia cruise, I save approximately $800 RT than the published fare; for the med cruise, I save approximately $500 than (at the time) the published fare.

I purchased cruise insurance on all my trips...often the difference in airfare was enough to pay for the cruise insurance (which included insurance for delayed trip..and to catch up with the ship..in addition to the usual..for the normal trip insurance stuff). I haven't bought cruise air...but consolidator fares are, generally, less than cruise airfare..and you know exactly what you are getting.

Sure, consolidator fares do not get you everything you might get with published fares. But, from my experience, it does get you to the ship (from my experience) on time..and for much less than published fares. Indeed, it gets you there with enough savings to pay for trip insurance...AND MORE!!!!

Find a consolidator that you trust...and go from there. Will it help every time...no. But most folks who travel for cruises are not using airfare 1000's of times per year. You pay your money and take your chances. So far, it has worked 100% for me

.but consolidator fares are, generally, less than cruise airfare..and you know exactly what you are getting.

Sure, consolidator fares do not get you everything you might get with published fares. But, from my experience, it does get you to the ship (from my experience) on time

1. Do you REALLY know EXACTLY what you're getting? If you can't see all the fare rules/restrictions, then you DON'T know.

2. As for getting you to the ship on time, no consolidator can guarantee that. Sure, you'll probably make it, but there's no guarantee. If you think there is, I have some land I'd like to sell you in Kansas that I guarantee is oceanfront. :D

1. Do you REALLY know EXACTLY what you're getting? If you can't see all the fare rules/restrictions, then you DON'T know.

2. As for getting you to the ship on time, no consolidator can guarantee that. Sure, you'll probably make it, but there's no guarantee. If you think there is, I have some land I'd like to sell you in Kansas that I guarantee is oceanfront. :D

PLEASE stop trying to sell my house! ;)

OP, many regulars on this forum are nuts about bashing any and all consolidator tickets, as you obviously know by now :D.

There are consolidators then there are consolidators. Most consolidators that cruise passengers use offer very restrictive tickets. However, there are a handful of consolidators that are very reliable and offer not only better prices, but often also better conditions and terms than buying directly through the airline. Unfortunately most of these more reputable consolidators only work with travel agents. They make their money on volume and can't be bothered helping individuals figure out what they really want. In essence they are order takers. If you find a consolidator that is a member of the USACA that is a great start. A few work with individuals, most don't (so you would have to find yourself a trusted travel agent who works with them).

The OP never said "guarantee" and in fact, even if a person bought a full fare first class ticket, the airline itself would also not offer that "guarantee." Read the Conditions of Carriage of all airlines and you will also realize that!

Edited by frugaltravel

The OP never said "guarantee" and in fact, even if a person bought a full fare first class ticket, the airline itself would also not offer that "guarantee." Read the Conditions of Carriage of all airlines and you will also realize that!

I am well aware that even the airlines don't guarantee anything, so thank you, but I do not need to read the conditions of carriage. The OP's post however, implied that they may believe there is a guarantee because they stated that booking this way would get you to the ship on time. I simply clarified for the benefit of either the OP or others who are reading the thread and are less informed.

OP, many regulars on this forum are nuts about bashing any and all consolidator tickets, as you obviously know by now :D.

Really? I'm shocked :eek:

As soon as I learned how to block out certain people I no longer have to read their posts! Best feature on this forum :D