Rhapsody, Voyager or Radiance?

bazzaw

I know that this has been asked before -- but I'm gunna ask it again!! :)

Having been on both Voyager and Radiance, enjoyed them and the RCI "style" - and with the possibility of Rhapsody departing our shores soonish, I am wondering if we should try to get a "good deal" soon, if possible, on Rhapsody (just to experience the ship, regardless of itinerary). We do like to experience new ships - life is too short to have "favorites" and go back to the same ship time and time again.

Apart from the RCI "experience", there really is no way to compare Voyager and Radiance - like two cars - Holden and Ford -- much the same but people will have their personal preferences. So - what about Rhapsody?? What does she have that the other two don't???

What say you??

Barry

I know that this has been asked before -- but I'm gunna ask it again!! :)

Having been on both Voyager and Radiance, enjoyed them and the RCI "style" - and with the possibility of Rhapsody departing our shores soonish, I am wondering if we should try to get a "good deal" soon, if possible, on Rhapsody (just to experience the ship, regardless of itinerary). We do like to experience new ships - life is too short to have "favorites" and go back to the same ship time and time again.

Apart from the RCI "experience", there really is no way to compare Voyager and Radiance - like two cars - Holden and Ford -- much the same but people will have their personal preferences. So - what about Rhapsody?? What does she have that the other two don't???

What say you??

Barry

After being on the Vision (sister ship of Rapsody)...I would say give the Rhapsody a miss.

What a let down of a ship compared to the Voyager class ships.....it is lacking the wow factor.

Looks a little old and run down compared to the newer ships....after nine cruises,the Vision was our least favourite ship of all and we were in a Grand suite.

What I say is this, Rhapsody just has such a friendly, lovely feel to it. I think it is still in pretty good condition. I also love the fact that the buffet is at the front of the ship which means lots of views. There are so many good points to this ship, my opinion. If you get a good deal go for it. :)

Rhapsody had her revitalisation in 2012 so she won't be looking old & run down like the Vision may have.

We are booked on her for the first time this year & think she is worth seeing before she leaves Australia, she has the new aerial shows in the centrum which is something different.

Even though I liked Voyager, I didn't like her as much as Radiance because although the interior mall was fun, when sailing on a ship I prefer to see the sea rather than be enclosed like inside a shopping centre. I also found I always felt cold on Voyager, maybe due to less natural sunlight.

I also prefer the enclosed solarium on Radiance which Rhapsody also has.

My husband felt the same way.

Some people also prefer the smaller ships for ease of getting around.

I would be happy to try all of the different classes of ship at least once, they are all experiences worth having, bigger isn't always the best, it's just different.:)

Didn't know about the Rhapsody buffet being at the front of the ship -- that is very different !! :)

We don't necessaily look for "wow factors" on cruiseships. We both like Pacific Pearl and Pacific Dawn - and there is not too much WOW about them :) but they have a certain "style". Possibly our favourite ship is P&O Oriana - no wow factors there either -- but boy has she got some good things going for her!!

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Definitely give Rhapsody a try, before it's too late.:(

She's our favourite. We have sailed on her 11 times. 4 more booked to see her off.

We have just had 3 on Radiance, as the timing and itineries suited us better.

We enjoy P&O as well.

Trying Voyager later this year, after her refurb. Not keen to try the bigger ship, and waiting until a Diamond lounge has been added.:eek:

We would describe Rhapsody as intimate and the most friendly ship we have sailed on.

Maybe this is because a lot of the staff know us, and we get special treatment.:D But it happened from the first cruise.

See you there Bazza.

In respect of the question, Rhapsody doesn't have original extra facilities that the others don't, being the older of the three. She did get extra features in the revitalisation though, such as inboard touchscreens, which I think are excellent, and the on deck movie screen so has some extras.

However, it's worthwhile trying out to see the differences yourself, and as you say you do like some of the older ships.

Edited by The_Big_M

We have sailed all 3 in the past 3 years, including Rhapsody pre & post refurb. All 3 we thoroughly enjoyed our trips & would cruise on all again, but there are just some subtle differences and we have to rank them, right?:D

Our bronze award goes to Voyager. The bigger ship just wasn't so good for us, with the promenade working less well for us then the centrum style, many of the 'extras' are more suited to families then for us & the WJ layout is not so good as the other two.

Silver goes to Radiance. Love all the glass & the outdoor area aft of WJ. Centrum area is quite small and the pool is small also. Loved the schooner bar:) & the colony club with the aft views. The heli-pad is a great viewing area.

Gold to Rhapsody, just ahead a Radiance. The best little ship in the ocean :D Just the perfect size and the forward located WJ is great, and the best layout of WJ of all 3. Doesn't have some of the 'extras' of the others, but it just fits for us - maybe because she was our 1st, 2nd & 3rd cruises & will be our 6th, 7th & 8th also :D:D:D B2B2B Seattle-Vancouver-Honolulu-Sydney.

As posted above the re-furb added the pool deck bigscreen & some other bits & pieces. Some have suggested the space taken for the specialty restaurants makes it more crowded in the public areas, but in our experience the spaces taken we greatly underutilised in the first place.

Happy cruising.

Edited by mr walker

All very interesting!! :) I have read before that many people do like Rhapsody - I am now a bit "intrigued" by the idea of a forward buffet . I can't think of any other ship that we have been on that has such a thing ! ?

Barry

We have been on Rhapsody and Radiance. I definitely preferred Rhapsody. The centrum is much more open with a lot more seating on every level close to the windows, Radiance has the lifts overlooking the ocean but that takes away from the big open airy feel of the centrum. The pool deck on Rhapsody is (or maybe just seems) bigger and more open. And the forward Windjammer buffet has views on all 3 sides (forward, left and right) with sweeping sea views and is much lighter and brighter. Other than that they are very similar.

All very interesting!! :) I have read before that many people do like Rhapsody - I am now a bit "intrigued" by the idea of a forward buffet . I can't think of any other ship that we have been on that has such a thing ! ?

Barry

Barry if you get the chance to cruise on the Sun, Sea & Dawn Princess they all have the forward buffet too

Barry if you get the chance to cruise on the Sun, Sea & Dawn Princess they all have the forward buffet too

OK - thanks for that info -- I didn't know. Not that it is necessarily "better -- but "different " :)

Barry

We have sailed all 3 in the past 3 years, including Rhapsody pre & post refurb. All 3 we thoroughly enjoyed our trips & would cruise on all again, but there are just some subtle differences and we have to rank them, right?:D

Our bronze award goes to Voyager. The bigger ship just wasn't so good for us, with the promenade working less well for us then the centrum style, many of the 'extras' are more suited to families then for us & the WJ layout is not so good as the other two.

Silver goes to Radiance. Love all the glass & the outdoor area aft of WJ. Centrum area is quite small and the pool is small also. Loved the schooner bar:) & the colony club with the aft views. The heli-pad is a great viewing area.

Gold to Rhapsody, just ahead a Radiance. The best little ship in the ocean :D Just the perfect size and the forward located WJ is great, and the best layout of WJ of all 3. Doesn't have some of the 'extras' of the others, but it just fits for us - maybe because she was our 1st, 2nd & 3rd cruises & will be our 6th, 7th & 8th also :D:D:D B2B2B Seattle-Vancouver-Honolulu-Sydney.

As posted above the re-furb added the pool deck bigscreen & some other bits & pieces. Some have suggested the space taken for the specialty restaurants makes it more crowded in the public areas, but in our experience the spaces taken we greatly underutilised in the first place.

Happy cruising.

If there was a LIKE button I would use it as your views concur with mine. I LOVED the Rhapsody, loved the Radiance and very much liked the Voyager!

All different, all great!

Gae

Loved both the Rhapsody and the Radiance though I agree that there was more seating around the Centrum near the windows on the Rhapsody. It was difficult to find a seat near the cafe and drink our coffee on the Radiance so we ended up taking it to the Schooner bar.

I much preferred Radiance of the Seas over Rhapsody of the seas, to me it just seemed like they got an awful lot right with radiance. Not too big, not too small. Stunning ship with lots of natural light. This ones really personal but I honestly think the food on Radiance of the seas was LOADS better than on Rhapsody. I know people will probably call me crazy because they're the same line... but hey, each to their own :)

As far as ships go, Radiance of the Seas and Pacific Pearl are my two favourite ships, then Solstice scrapes in third place.

I would take Radiance over Rhapsody but the Rhapsody probably gets most votes for friendliness. She departs our shores in 2015 and the repo criuise is almost fully booked. That has to say something for its popularity.

Book now before it's too late Barry.

Hugh

Hi,

We have been on Voyager & Rhapsody, both were excelent. We will be going on Brilliance later this year (sister to Radiance), very much looking forward to it.

Personally we preferred Voyager for the size of the ship, but the entertainment we had on Rhapsody was fantastic. We were on the repo cruise from Sydney to Hawaii.

You will have a great time, all very friendly, just go.

Rhapsody was my very first cruise ship. I was so in love with the whole experience, the staff, the ship, the itinerary….EVERYTHING, that I have decided to have a go at all the RCI ships in Australia. Radiance was every bit as wonderful and I am looking forward to Voyager later in the year.

It's so interesting to read the way people have ranked these ships. I don't think I could chose between Rhapsody and Radiance, the deciding factor for me would have to be the most suitable itinerary and I would absolutely travel on either of them again in a heartbeat.

Good luck - did you book?

Barry

Just back from another cruise on Rhapsody and think I know why buffets may not be located at the front very often. After leaving Cairns heading east to Noumea we had sea birds with us for the next 2 days, just flying along and using the wind from the Bow to get lift and glide along. We probably had about 40 birds following us of 2 or 3 different varieties(not sure which ones) Beatiful sight which I have never seen on a cruise before,:D however, birds being birds they covered the windows of the buffet with their droppings:(. Overnight the crew did something because each morning the windows were clean again.:eek:

Rhapsody was my very first cruise ship. I was so in love with the whole experience, the staff, the ship, the itinerary….EVERYTHING, that I have decided to have a go at all the RCI ships in Australia. Radiance was every bit as wonderful and I am looking forward to Voyager later in the year.

It's so interesting to read the way people have ranked these ships. I don't think I could chose between Rhapsody and Radiance, the deciding factor for me would have to be the most suitable itinerary and I would absolutely travel on either of them again in a heartbeat.

Good luck - did you book?

I've got to agree that I found the friendliest crew on Rhapsody BY A LONG SHOT! There were still some Asian crew members on Voyager when we sailed on her that don't seem to understand we Australians nor bothered to try to.

The crew on the Radiance seemed VERY busy and much less friendly for some reason.

Of the 3 ships we've experienced there was quite an outbreak of norovirus on our 2nd Voyager cruise necessitating lots of crew personnel working overtime to clean, clean, clean. In spite of this they were friendly most of the time.

On Voyager we opted for 6.00 Dining. The other 2 ships we've gone for My-Time (or Anytime) Dining. I felt that the wait-staff were more rushed during the MTD so we didn't really get to know them too well.

Perhaps it's a difference between pre-paying your gratuities with MTD and gratuities to be added with set time dining. :confused:

I must add that I felt there were quite a few UNFRIENDLY passengers on the Radiance! Just my opinion but it was very noticeable to me.

Anyway, I've got 4 more cruises booked with them so all in all, they must be doing something right by me! :D

Gae

Edited by gaechann

We have only been on Radiance (and probably wouldn't go RCCL again uness the suite prce was a bargain) but a lot of people were commenting that they prefered Rhapsody, I think mainly because there are less passengers and it has a different feel. Radiance is cetainly a beautiful ship with great staff but just too crowded, poor food (except Park Cafe) and boring repetitive activities. We enjoyed our cruise but I put that down to our Grand Suite and the associated Concierge lounge...very nice :)

?..a lot of people were commenting that they prefered Rhapsody, I think mainly because there are less passengers and it has a different feel. Radiance is cetainly a beautiful ship with great staff but just too crowded, ...)

There is almost no difference in passenger capacity between the two (less than 100) & Radiance is a considerably bigger vessel, so I don't think that's the difference. It's just a different layout. They are both wonderful ships

Edited by mr walker