Compare Norwegian Sky and Majesty of the Seas

Liba7810

Hello! This is my 1st post on this forum. My extended family ages 22-57 from all over the US (11 people total) are planning a 3-4 night cruise in mid-August from Miami to the Bahamas. We have a very limited time frame due to college schedules. We're trying to compare Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas and Norwegian's Norwegian Sky. We're not all huge drinkers, some are pool people and some aren't-same with beaches. Some like to gamble, some not. We'd probably all like quality Broadway or Vegas style entertainment. My husband and I definitely want a balcony on our room but understand we'd have to have a suite on MOS in order to have that which would add to cost.

Can anyone compare these 2 ships for me and recommend the better one? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of booking through a travel agent like AAA, an online agent (so many out there) or booking directly through the cruise company? Thanks!

I've been on both multiple times and all in all, I recommend Majesty of the Seas. Sky's advantages are standard balcony rooms and specialty restaurants. Majesty excels in pretty much everything else.

There was no comparison in service between the two. Same with the private islands. Majesty is the clear winner there. Majesty also excels in the free dining venues, cleanliness, ship upkeep, and the pool deck.

After my last Sky cruise, both my wife and I said never again. Majesty, on the other hand, we keep returning to.

If you don't want to pay for a suite, I recommend the deck 9 SO category. The rooms are a nice size and have a couch.

The Sky is newer, better taken care of and an overall better experience. I did the sky twice last year and had a great time. You can see some of the pictures if you click the link below. If you are going to book, use a personal cruise consultant. They will get you the best deal.

If you end up on Majesty, I would suggest splurging at CocoCay and getting a Cabana.

As for which ship, Majesty being an older ship (oldest in the RCl fleet) has very vew balconies so they are going to be higher priced compared with NCL.

We do frequent weekend getaways, and have always enjoyed Majesty. Majesty is a lot of fun with a great crew, and lots to do.

I have been on both, but many years apart. Majesty was our very first cruise (year 2000), so it holds a place in my heart. However, even then, I recall the rooms being very small. You will be able to get a reasonably priced balcony on Sky. I think food will be better on Majesty, but we thought the food on Sky was pretty good and we did not go to any of the specialty restaurants on that cruise.

Unfortunately, you will not find "quality Vegas-style entertainment" on either.

Go to the review section of CC and read the reviews from the last six months or so. That's what I would do.

Edited by mafig

Hello! This is my 1st post on this forum. My extended family ages 22-57 from all over the US (11 people total) are planning a 3-4 night cruise in mid-August from Miami to the Bahamas. We have a very limited time frame due to college schedules. We're trying to compare Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas and Norwegian's Norwegian Sky. We're not all huge drinkers, some are pool people and some aren't-same with beaches. Some like to gamble, some not. We'd probably all like quality Broadway or Vegas style entertainment. My husband and I definitely want a balcony on our room but understand we'd have to have a suite on MOS in order to have that which would add to cost.

Can anyone compare these 2 ships for me and recommend the better one? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of booking through a travel agent like AAA, an online agent (so many out there) or booking directly through the cruise company? Thanks!

One thing that no one has mentioned is that any 3-5 day cruise will be party central with lots of college kids and drinkers, especially during August . If there is any way go 7 days or longer you will find a much more family friendly cruise. Maybe some one who has done a 3 day in August will put in their 2 cents worth. happy cruising

Let's put it this way. Sky is the reason I no longer cruise NCL. Never have I been so uncomfortable on a cruise ship. The rooms are deplorable, beds are rock hard and the televisions are the originals from when the ship was new. They take upwards of a minute to warm up before turning on. They make you wait as long as a half hour for a table in the dining room and the buffet is the most pathetic I've ever seen. Cagneys was the worst specialty restaurant I ever ate in and the Italian joint was no better. The only silver lining was Le Bistro.

Great Stirrup Cay is a joke. There is only one main beach, with a smaller, top optional beach next to it. On Coco Cay, there are beaches all over the island ranging from deep water to shallow sandbars. You can even walk to the far side and have your own private beach.

Sorry to be blunt. I've been cruising all my life and have been on almost 100 cruises. I can only think of 2 that I hated, and Sky is one of them.

Not only is RCI much better than NCL, Majesty is much better than Sky. I say that with the utmost confidence.

Sky was my first cruise while it was new and got us addicted. Been and the majesty twice and it was nice and food was good.

I'm more about the destinations and dates than which ship. But after I know the dates I look into the ships. Be positive and you will enjoy any vacation.

Smile it's a good day.

Yes, I have. The Majesty is absolutely terrible. The staff is about the only thing good on board.

I have never been on NCL but just got back from my 2nd Majesty cruise.

I have found just the oppisite [staff no longer goes extra for guests], while the ship is old, is okay.

Since you have apparently gone on more NCL cruises, you might want to do the same.

Doug

Thanks to all who have responded to my question about NCL Sky vs RCI Majesty for an August cruise. As I've found in the many reviews I've read you all have varying opinions as well. I guess it depends when you cruise and who your staff happens to include, which determines the "fun climate" of the trip. As far as taking a longer cruise as was suggested in order to find a calmer crowd, we only have time for 5-6 days total,including the cruise and a hotel stay at either end due to college schedules. Also, I get very seasick and have to be on meclazine (sp) the entire time so the shorter the better for me.

Only one person responded to my question about booking directly with the cruise line vs through an online discount site. Can anyone else comment on that?

And one more question-would you all say that both NCL and RCI beat out Carnival in quality? Thanks!

Both are the oldest ships of each line, used for short, shall we say booze cruises. The best pricing varies. Choose a couple dates, call both lines and search several "discount cruise agencies" here and on line.I would forget fancy suites on either ship, not necessary.

Thanks to all who have responded to my question about NCL Sky vs RCI Majesty for an August cruise. As I've found in the many reviews I've read you all have varying opinions as well. I guess it depends when you cruise and who your staff happens to include, which determines the "fun climate" of the trip. As far as taking a longer cruise as was suggested in order to find a calmer crowd, we only have time for 5-6 days total,including the cruise and a hotel stay at either end due to college schedules. Also, I get very seasick and have to be on meclazine (sp) the entire time so the shorter the better for me.

Only one person responded to my question about booking directly with the cruise line vs through an online discount site. Can anyone else comment on that?

And one more question-would you all say that both NCL and RCI beat out Carnival in quality? Thanks!

Having never been on NCL, I would say it equals Carnival. RCI is definitely higher than Carnival.I have booked all ways: internet agencies, live agent, agent though EM, and direct. Since this would your first cruise and you have other from various cities, I would go through a live agent. I've done the other methods and most times it was just me. Since the city is usually better than the cruise, you want to do 2 days before. I don't know where all of your group in from but likely getting in early may be only option.

Doug