Grand Princess left a couple on Maui

DougH

Just sailed yesterday from Maui to the Big Island today before heading back to San Francisco.

As I was on deck waiting for sailaway there were lots of ships officers on the dock below me and they were paging one couple. After about 10-15 minutes up came the gangway and off we sailed. One of the officers ended up on deck next to me (she had to be there while we were still in cell phone range in case of any calls) and said it was only the second time she had left anyone ashore. Coming back after being ashore today I happened to be in the elevator with the second officer. Asked if they had caught back up with the ship and he didn't think they had yet as of noon today.

Not sure whose fault it was or what happened but you can bet that either the husband or wife it going to hear about this for a long long time from the other one :)

My DH and I have a real fear of this. When we are off the boat independently ashore (which we do occasionally), we always make sure we come back with an hour to spare. I know we can't control car accidents etc, but we always try to return with plenty of time to spare. We sail the Caribbean and we always have our Passports for this reason ashore in case we need to fly.

Edited by NeurosurgeryNP

It happens. I've seen people taken to the ship on the pilot boat and have to literally climb back onto the ship.

Hope all is well with them but that's an expensive mistake. Not only do they have to pay to fly back to SF but they will also pay the PVSA fine which I believe is $250.

I hope it wasn't because of some kind of accident.

That's when you need to have the name and phone number of the Port Agent with you. They will help by contacting the ship and making alternate arrangements etc. Don't leave the ship with out it!

That's when you need to have the name and phone number of the Port Agent with you. They will help by contacting the ship and making alternate arrangements etc. Don't leave the ship with out it!

I have never taken note of the agent or number before Donna; but I will beginning next week.

Thanks,

Mike:)

I have never taken note of the agent or number before Donna; but I will beginning next week.

Thanks,

Mike:)

It is on the Patter when in port. We always take our Patter to shore with us for that reason, or take a picture of it with our camera before we leave.

Umm, we were in Kauai yesterday before sailing to Hilo today. Did you mean Kauai, Doug? They could have flown here today and continued the cruise hope that is what happened.

Cheers, Denise.

Edited by dchip
Content

We were on Tortola, I think the ship was the Caribbean Princess. We took a open air taxi over the mountain to the beach, on our own from port. Wanting to be back an hour before sailing we grabbed another open air to head back to port and coming down the mountain the breaks started to smoke. Needless to say the driver pulled over on the side of the mountain, which was very steep. We had to stand there and wait for another taxi to pick us all up. I could see the ship in port from that spot and I could not help to think that I might not make it back I time and it gave me a sick feeling. We did though. whew

Edited by janetz

Last March, on our last port day of St. Marten, dh and I went back to the island after lunch. We've been to St. Marten several times. We took the water taxi over and walked, had a coke, took some pictures, shopped a little. I left my cell phone in the cabin, since we wouldn't be gone long and I wasn't going to use it. DH watched his watch carefully and we eventually headed back to the water taxi with about 45 minutes before we were to be back on board. There was only one lady on the water taxi with us and her ship was leaving late at night. We got back to the pier, stopped for a coconut smoothie to take back on board (super yummy) and heard the ship's horn.........we both gasped and started running. We ran the pier and up the gangway. They pulled the gangway behind me. We couldn't figure out what was going on, since we had plenty of time. When we got back and met the rest of our party we discovered dh's watch had slowed down. We were 10 minutes late boarding and 10 minutes until sail away. We are super conservative with sail away times, never take chances and rarely take an excursion that isn't offered by the cruise line. Live and learn! TWO watches next time and head back earlier than we think we need.

Umm, we were in Kauai yesterday before sailing to Hilo today. Did you mean Kauai, Doug? They could have flown here today and continued the cruise hope that is what happened.
They would have violated the PVSA and they would have been fined.

A tour guide once told us that the difference between a passenger and a hitchhiker is about three minutes.
Joe May, one of the best port lecturer's on Princess (not to be confused with a shopping lecturer), usually says, "Be sure to bring your camera because if you don't plan enough time to get back to port, you can take a picture of the ship as it sails away without you."

Without fail, we have alwYs seen people barely making the ship in Aruba and St. Thomas. One time, the Captain was down on the pier, and boy did he give the latecomers a once over.

We too take the Patter with us ashore, one reason being, to have the port agent's name and phone number.

Last year, we did nighttim kayaking in Puerto Rico, a ship excursion. We were running extremely late, and the ship was waiting for us. Gangway went up instantly the second our group boarded...to cheers of everyone hanging over the balconies. This is another reason one takes ship excursions. If we were on an independent tour, the ship may not have waited those 45 minutes.

In Maui I can easily see people being left. There is a 2 lane road that goes to the port and when we were there we had rented a car and there was a wreck on the highway! It was shut down and we sat in our car for an hour ! luckily we had time to spare, but it could have been a disaster!

I know it's mean, but I love watching for people running for the ship before sailaway. LOL. I've seen a lot of people running, too. I've seen people miss the ship.

pier runner watching - my favorite port activity...:)

Edited by alexspepa