Help with travel insurance

goldgirl2

I would like to purchase travel insurance. I have gone to a couple of sites recommended on here. However, there are so many options I am not really sure what to buy. Its DH myself and DD17. We are healthy with no pre-existing conditions. Any suggestions on what adequate coverage would be?

You have to determine what is more important to you to be covered. Is it the trip interruption and luggage coverage? is the health portion, knowing that your own medical insurance may not be accepted where you might require treatment for an injury. You may be required to pay out of pocket then be reimbursed for any medical treatment.

The trip insurance is important for a variety of reasons. It's relatively inexpensive really all things considered. :D I am guessing that those who were onboard the Explorer this week and weren't insured, wish they were.

We always have purchased Travel Guard's Gold Plan, a comprehensive policy at a fair price, and it is primary coverage. And good news- children 17 and under are covered at no additional cost. Optional coverages, such as Cancel for Any Reason, are available as well. Consider what is important to your individual family for coverage and feel free to discuss it with a rep. Do you have parents, or other family members, where something could happen to delay or interrupt your trip?

From personal experience, TG has excellent customer service, and handle claims very efficiently and fairly. You can obtain a quote on their website: travelguard.com, or call them at (800) 826-4919. :)

We've often purchased the Travelex Travelite Plan. It includes children 17 and under for free. We've had to file for reimbursements for medical issues on two separate trips - as well as a lost/stolen purchase - and had no issues either of these times. Reimbursement was prompt. This is primary insurance so you do not have to file through other insurers first.

We have used CSA and also RCCL's policy...depends. But lately Travel Guard and Travel Insured. You really have to look at the policy and see what you get and what you think you will use. For example I am an airline pilot. I like the "cancel for work reasons" in case my vacation gets shifted for some reason. On my last cruise we went with my son and daughter-in-law. He is a Navy pilot and his ship was the "ready ship" meaning that a major event (like Syria) would have him deploy immediately. Travel Insured offered full refund if anyone in our family had their military leave cancelled. That was our greatest "threat" of cancellation.

Often we plan on renting a car. Some policies cover car rentals. So look at what you are likely to use, then decide. If you aren't going to rent a car, that is not a player, etc.

I read a great deal about travel insurance before purchasing it this time. One good point that was stressed was not purchasing your travel insurance through the cruise line that you are traveling on. One of the protections you get from travel insurance is protection from any issues that the cruise line might cause. If your insurance is through them, it won't do you any good. I found the cruise line coverage to cover less and cost more.

Also closely compare quotes. This is easily done online as most companies you can enter your info (no personal information needed so you do not get unwanted contacts) online and get a quote.

The suggestion to contact your insurance carrier was a good one...I found ours did not have a travel policy, but our roadside did, and it was the best policy I found anywhere.

I would like to purchase travel insurance. I have gone to a couple of sites recommended on here. However, there are so many options I am not really sure what to buy. Its DH myself and DD17. We are healthy with no pre-existing conditions. Any suggestions on what adequate coverage would be?
Just remember there is no one size fits all. I would not go by recommendations of insurance carriers( for or against) given by folks on this board. Your age, state, travel area are all factors. One poster specifically excluded RCI's insurance, however in states like FL all travel insurance must be underwritten by state approved insurance company. I would call and discuss your needs and not just look at websites. This website has some great information http://tripinsurancestore.com/ and excellent phone service, give them a call. Edited by FLACRUISER99

• 2 weeks later...

What country do you live in? We are in Canada and RBC has excellent policy's. We purchase a one year health plan from our regular ins agent then our interruption/canc from RBC.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have a follow-up to the original question. When I booked my trip, I told the rep I wanted travel insurance; however, I do not have to pay for it until final payment. Can I cancel this at anytime prior and buy travel insurance through a third party?

Yes. But, buying outside of the window will not cover PEC's

Edited by setsail

First, everyone has different needs, so see what, if any coverage you have...sometimes even your credit card has some trip interruption and/or baggage coverage..

Second, while there are better policies, do not automatically discount the Cruise Line coverage...In several cases, especially age of the passenger, sometimes it costs less...

I have used Cruise Care, CSA, Travel Guard and Travelex and have filed claims with all,and have been promptly paid once info was received and have had no issues....

SOME, but not all insurance, can be bought within XX amount of days of FINAL payment and still cover pre existing conditions...another thing to consider. Tends to cost a bit more, and you have to poke around to find these plans, but it's just something else to think about. Generally though, you need to buy it with initial deposit to be safe...(generally, NOT always...)

I agree with calling and asking questions of the various providers as well.....it is complicated, but they can really assist you. Only you know what you and the family will need....but keep this in mind...

I went to medical with a sinus infection... $185.00 later, and a Z-pack...and I was on my way. Filed a claim, and got it back. On land, I would have paid MAYBE $50 for an office visit copay and the meds....

Edited by megr1125

Yes. But, buying outside of the window will not cover PEC's

Thanks. Luckily, no PECs to worry about yet. We mostly get this to cover cancellations due to a serious illness with one or our aging parents. But after reading several threads, I thought if I am going to buy insurance, I might as well get either better coverage at the same price, or the same coverage at a lower price. I will need to start getting some prices just to compare.

What country do you live in? We are in Canada and RBC has excellent policy's. We purchase a one year health plan from our regular ins agent then our interruption/canc from RBC.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm also Canadian. I have an RBC Visa card that comes with travel insurance, both medical and trip interruption. I have had claims for both, and they are excellent to deal with.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The question I answered was for a poster not wanting to buy rci insurance.

But, you have a valid point, which can be fixed by buying rci's cancel for any reason policy

That would be ok if you cancelled before the cruise although you only get 75% credit toward another within 1 yr. You get sick on the cruise from a pre existing condition, you are not going to get insured treatment with RCL insurance