Back from the Westerdam

Grandma of 4

We were on the Jan. 18 sailing. This is not meant to be a review, just a few comments about our cruise.

We arrived at the port about 11:00. Because we had a Neptune Suite we were given priority boarding. Otherwise we would have been in group 10 to board. Boarding began at 11:35; we went to our stateroom and then to the Lido buffet for lunch. It was the easiest embarkation I have ever experienced on a ship.

Neptune Lounge:The concierges, Hazel and Michael, were wonderful. However, SORRY, but there are NO food items available other than what is under the circular plastic dome, with the exception of individual cereal boxes. There was a toaster sitting there in the morning but I never saw anyone using it. As a passenger I felt it put me in the position of a demanding individual to ask for something to toast from the concierge. Someone posted a few weeks ago that there were many items to choose from when the Carnival CEO was on board. Definitely not after he left the ship!

Condition of the ship: I felt it looked very good. Crew members were often cleaning and polishing. I did not see any worn areas.

Dining: I feel food preferences are very objective so I am not going to comment too much. However I felt vegetarian entree options outnumbered meat options.

One thing that surprised me was the silverware place settings. On previous cruises there were always several pieces of silverware at each place setting. Here, we each got one knife, one spoon and one fork. We were expected to keep and use the same fork for the appetizer, salad, entree and dessert. I felt it lowered the formal ambiance of the dining room. I was also surprised that nothing was said about both men and women wearing jeans to dinner in the dining room ( not on formal night).

Our room steward was wonderful and left us a towel animal every night which I did not expect.

We carried off our own luggage and had expedited disembarkation. It went very smoothly. We left the ship at 7:15 and were at the airport 30 minutes later.

Overall, we did enjoy our cruise but cutting back on Holland's part was also very noticeable.

I'm sorry that you were able to tell a noticeable difference between this and past cruising. BUT, I am very glad that you were able to ewnjoy the cruise anyway:)

I cannot say what is cutback and what is not ONLY because the way things are now are the way the've always been for us, so we do not see any differences (Other than the lack of goodies where the toaster was in your description.)

Loved Hazel (Pronounced Haw Zell) She was also our concierge Dec 2012 on Westerdam. She was going home for 3 months to be with her family and was not sure if she would be rteturning back to Westerdam or another ship. She is truly a wonderful lady and great to see she has returned:)

Great little non review:D Glad you enjoyed and Welcome Back to HomeDam:) Looking forward to your final one!!

Joanie

Thanks very much for your input. Really surprised at the silverware settings. That, for me is part of the magic of cruising. Even guests at my summer parties have all the correct silverware. Very strange.

Wondering if your stewards were lazy or if this is the new standard. I guess I will find out soon enough.

thanks for taking the time to share with us.

and, of course, Welcome home:D

Oh, I'm not liking what you said about the silverwear in the MDR. That really does lower the tone. Also regarding the Neptune Lounge - that was the subject of some discussion on the boards quite a awhile ago, and sad to hear the situation continues, in spite of the fact the one regular on the forum insisted it was very temporary thing and has informed a Westerdam roll call of that, so they are not going to be happy. I certainly hope this is not the way the rest of the fleet is going with the Neptune Lounge food.

Glad to hear you had a good cruise... now it's back to reality.:(

We were on the Jan 4 sailing and did not have the issue with silverware in the MDR. Table was set like it has been in the past. We were always brought new silverware if it was needed based on what we had for dinner.

In the Neptune there was nothing out on the sideboard as in past sailings on HAL BUT there were cookies available. You just had to ask! Hazel and Michael were very gracious and often asked us or our girls if we wanted a cookie when we went in for our iced tea or water!