Caribbean Princess cruise cut short?

fortworther

Yes, skipping Belize despite almost perfect weather down here (in Roatan). Allegedly to "beat the fog" back into Houston. There's also a Noro outbreak that has supposed worsened they put Noro measures into effect on Monday. Lots of angry folk aboard.

Yes, skipping Belize despite almost perfect weather down here (in Roatan). Allegedly to "beat the fog" back into Houston. There's also a Noro outbreak that has supposed worsened they put Noro measures into effect on Monday. Lots of angry folk aboard.

The ship had Noro measures in effect the entire 1/11 and 1/18 cruises. My understanding is that they will put them into effect anytime they have 8 or more cases. They, supposedly, had 30 cases on the 1/11 cruise I was on.

It's not unusual to have Noro precautions in effect. It's usually preventative.

Wonder why they're angry. I assume they'd rather the ship be unable to enter the harbor, dock hours late, have hundreds miss their flights, and make those waiting to board sit or stand around for hours.

Weather is brutal in Houston/Galveston today but not supposed to be bad at all this weekend. Can't see beating the fog as a reason, even to Princess sycophants, but one must assume that there is a reason. Hope you all get a cruise credit or something.

Weather is brutal in Houston/Galveston today but not supposed to be bad at all this weekend. Can't see beating the fog as a reason, even to Princess sycophants, but one must assume that there is a reason. Hope you all get a cruise credit or something.

Have to agree that beating the fog seems odd. I suppose get in Friday to avoid possible fog on Saturday is an option. I'd bet if they turn up in Houston too early there would be quite a few upset passengers unless the noro is as bad as the RCCL Explorer outbreak.

Three sea days, the dd would love it.

It is only Tuesday! They were at sea only two full days and don't have to be back till SAT??? something is really wrong with this pic!!!We are supposed to be on her Saturday.....this may be the craziest cruise we have ever taken:p

Edited by IDKaren
Forgot word

Are you on the ship or in direct contact with someone who is?

If you are on the ship, what has been announced by the Captain?

It is only Tuesday! They were at sea only two full days and don't have to be back till SAT??? something is really wrong with this pic!!!We are supposed to be on her Saturday.....this may be the craziest cruise we have ever taken:p

The schedule would have been Cozumel on Monday, Roatan Tuesday and Belize today followed by 2 at sea days as they make their way back. If they skip Belize tomorrow they would move up their arrival time by atleast 8-10 hours. Putting them at the dock between 9pm and midnight on Friday. That would fit if they were concerned about the weather Saturday morning.

This is a decision made on the way to Belize as the web cam did show the ship heading to Belize several hours ago.

By sailing faster and maybe even cutting a visit to Belize short a few hours they could still make it back by Friday evening if fog is the reason for the change.

If noro is the reason, it is possible Belize does not want the ship to go there.

Forecast for Friday night and Saturday is

Friday Nightcond073.gifLow: 65

Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Lows in the mid 60s.Saturdaycond108.gifHigh: 68

Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 60s.

Edited by caribill

Hey, at least you got to Roatan. Our Thanksgiving cruise skipped both Roatan and Belize but added a throwaway port of Costa Maya. Be thankful for what you got!

Thanks for the information from on board. Looking at the marine forecast, fog is certainly a possibility as a warm front is moving in, bringing some rain. Plus it looks as though the winds will kick up as well. So I appreciate the CB being proactive in trying to keep folks from having to reschedule flights and travel. I am boarding on Sat., so I also appreciate the heads up on Noro. We will just try to make the best of it. I told my husband a month ago, take plenty of reading material and a good attitude. For us, it's about getting away from work and distractions. Good weather and tropical locales are just a bonus.

It's entirely possible the harbormaster ordered them in early. Apparently, the channel is so narrow that even moderate winds and/or fog are a severe hazard.

I've heard of a LOT of itinerary issues with sailings from there on multiple lines. Either the cruise lines are going to bail from that port or have to adjust their schedules with more sea days to allow for flexibility.

That Is EXACTLY what my hubby and I are saying!! Got our books and smile packed:). I had already booked to get in a day earlier and when I saw the fog delay problems in dec I changed our flight home to Sunday! So as long as we don't get sick:(we are ready!!

Thanks for the information from on board. Looking at the marine forecast, fog is certainly a possibility as a warm front is moving in, bringing some rain. Plus it looks as though the winds will kick up as well. So I appreciate the CB being proactive in trying to keep folks from having to reschedule flights and travel. I am boarding on Sat., so I also appreciate the heads up on Noro. We will just try to make the best of it. I told my husband a month ago, take plenty of reading material and a good attitude. For us, it's about getting away from work and distractions. Good weather and tropical locales are just a bonus.

I've heard of a LOT of itinerary issues with sailings from there on multiple lines. Either the cruise lines are going to bail from that port or have to adjust their schedules with more sea days to allow for flexibility.

Princess is the only line that has sailed from this new port since it was built (except for a few cruises after Hurricane Ike when Galveston was not available).

Perhaps it was Galveston then, is that also a channel port (I really don't know the Texas port arrangement), but I distinctly remember seeing complaints on the Disney forum of delays. (Disney has since pulled out of Galveston)

Princess is the only line that has sailed from this new port since it was built (except for a few cruises after Hurricane Ike when Galveston was not available).

I am onboard. Announcement during dinner last night that we will be skipping our stop in Belize Wednesday and high-tailing it back to Houston. Word is they expect heavy fog in Houston from Friday to Sunday and the port may be closed. Onboard TV says we will arrive in Houston at 10:00 pm Thursday. We don't know yet if they're going to kick us off the ship when we get to Houston, or if we get to.........Party On Dude! I can eat just as much sitting at the dock in Houston as I can floating around in the Caribbean.

Some think it may be the norovirus thing and they want to get the ship in for some cleaning. I've also heard from someone back home who said if they get into port before a certain number of people get sick, then they don't have to officially report an outbreak. We haven't heard or seen of anybody being sick.

I looked up the forecast for Kemah, Tx where the ship docks. It does say fog Saturday.

I am onboard. Announcement during dinner last night that we will be skipping our stop in Belize Wednesday and high-tailing it back to Houston. Word is they expect heavy fog in Houston from Friday to Sunday and the port may be closed. Onboard TV says we will arrive in Houston at 10:00 pm Thursday. We don't know yet if they're going to kick us off the ship when we get to Houston, or if we get to.........Party On Dude! I can eat just as much sitting at the dock in Houston as I can floating around in the Caribbean.

I looked up the forecast for Kemah, Tx where the ship docks. It does say fog Saturday.

Thanks for the update from onboard. I hope it is a Party On situation for you.

In January 2013 we had a major fog delay going into Galveston and we were delayed going into port, so fog is more of a regional thing this time of year. Being on a fog enshrouded ship can be a magical feeling, especially if one is not sitting in a lounge waiting for disembarkation. Another sea day is not a bad thing.

Enjoy!

The ship had Noro measures in effect the entire 1/11 and 1/18 cruises. My understanding is that they will put them into effect anytime they have 8 or more cases. They, supposedly, had 30 cases on the 1/11 cruise I was on.

Actually, the discontinued noro related measures partway through our Jan. 18 cruise. But, maybe it reared its ugly head again.

I feel so lucky that I was on the January 18 cruise where we had no problem with Houston fog and we made all of the ports. And they lifted norovirus precautions on Thursday.

Ditto. We had a great cruise but, as much as I liked the itinerary, with all the stressing about the fog in Houston, I will not do another sailing from that port.

My best wishes for the folks on board that they're able to remain healthy and enjoy the rest of the trip as best they're able.

Captain announced that they are in touch with port authorities. Not sure when we'll get off the ship. It all depends.

Seas have been very smooth, but he says tonight we will meet a front and seas may be 10 to 12 feet. Hold onto something.

We've been on a couple of those, kinda like going to Six Flags.....

Doug

Some think it may be the norovirus thing and they want to get the ship in for some cleaning. I've also heard from someone back home who said if they get into port before a certain number of people get sick, then they don't have to officially report an outbreak. We haven't heard or seen of anybody being sick.

Thanks for the heads up! We're sailing out on the 1st this Saturday. I'll watch out for any emails from Princess and have advised my TA to do the same.