Caribbean Princess cruise cut short?

fortworther

Based upon the sudden change in temperature we are experiencing along with current water temps.

What is strange is there is NO FOG predicted along the coast this week:confused:

The water temperature is not affected as it will be cold again on Wednesday and night and morning temps are still very cool.

I guess they're using a crystal ball LOL!

Here is what the CDC has to say on the issues on the ship.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/january25_caribbean_princess.htm

163 passengers sick and 11 crew.

Interesting report since it says:

Actions: In response to the outbreak, Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and the crew aboard the ship took the following actions:"

The ship is in the Houston Channel, and heading back to the port now

They are still another hour or two from the sea buoy. News reporting them at dock around midnight, so sea buoy should be around 8pm. Pics confirm they are still further out. Regardless until CBP arrives tomorrow nobody can get off the ship.

Interesting that they cancelled the cruise with only 5 people ill.

There are 162 passengers and 11 crew who are sick. This has been reported by the CDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are still another hour or two from the sea buoy. News reporting them at dock around midnight, so sea buoy should be around 8pm. Pics confirm they are still further out. Regardless until CBP arrives tomorrow nobody can get off the ship.

They have pasted Galveston and are in the Houston Ship Channel going through Galveston Bay. Houston's ABC TV station had live video as it went past Galveston just after 6:30 PM. Where it is now it should be at the dock within 2 hours probably less.

There are 162 passengers and 11 crew who are sick. This has been reported by the CDC.

Just read a news report with the updated amount - 165

Cruise lines are required to tell CDC if 2 percent or more of passengers on a ship fall ill.

Wonder why they don't have to report crew members :confused::rolleyes:

Bless your hearts! It does get foggy in Galveston and I have been stuck on several cruises out there waiting for hours for the fog to lift. Once you are checked out of your cabin at 8 a.m., nothing is open and you just wait and wait and wait. It has been freezing here and suddenly warming. We have a beach house in Galveston and the visibility in a car in Galveston is treacherous when this fog rolls in. I hope everyone gets home safe and sound!

This has been an "arctic blast" for us as a cold front with temps yesterday and this morning in the 20s. Somethings have still not thawed out even today - very very strange for South Texas. We will warm up to the 70s by Friday and that is when the fog starts rolling in with the warm ups.

You are so right. Someone posted on facebook we are the only region that can get frostbite and sunburn in the same week.

If there hadn't been the outbreak of noro on the Explorer, I wonder if it would have ever been mentioned as a reason to return early.

At least ya'll getting on the ship Saturday will know that it has been really sanitized. Better than when they have done "deep cleaning" between cruises in port.

Tucker in Texas

Talk about the press, KHOU shows it not in until around 1am, which is later than it really is, the ship is at the port already. KTRK shows only 5 sick, despite CDC reports to the contrary. Oh well, better to take the press with a grain of salt.

Linda, it's been developing for a couple of days. The ship is returning early for a deep cleaning. Bring Lysol but I've found the best prevention is to wash my hands often and use only my cabin bathroom, even if it's inconvenient.

Thank you Pam. That is a good idea to only use your cabin bathroom. I've never thought of doing that. I WILL follow your advice. I have never been ill on a cruise and can only imagine how horrible that would be.

Along with the Lysol, I also bring pump soap for the cabin bathroom and Clorox/Lysol wipes. My friends laugh at me but none of us have ever gotten sick.

More info on the Caribbean Princess: http://cruisefever.net/0130-another-cruise-ship-norovirus-outbreak-after-caribbean-princess/

The Noro germs are very resilient. Thoroughly washing your hands with soap and rinsing them under warm water is the best deterent. Noro is hardy up to 150F, so running hot water is not hot enough. The CDC recommends disinfecting surfaces with 5.25% chlorine solution which is rather high.

The CDC page on preventing Noro:

http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.html

More info on the Caribbean Princess: http://cruisefever.net/0130-another-cruise-ship-norovirus-outbreak-after-caribbean-princess/

The Noro germs are very resilient. Thoroughly washing your hands with soap and rinsing them under warm water is the best deterent. Noro is hardy up to 150F, so running hot water is not hot enough. The CDC recommends disinfecting surfaces with 5.25% chlorine solution which is rather high.

Thank you for posting this link. They stated that there is no vaccine to prevent the virus but research was being done in that area. I would be more than willing to take the vaccine if it is ever approved!

Sigh. Such misunderstanding. The point of soap and water is not to kill the virus; the point of soap and water is that soap washes the virus off your hands and down the drain, just the way soap washes dirt and ink and germs and so forth off your hands.

Which is the stupidity of all those sanitizers: they don't get rid of anything, they merely smear it all over.

Sigh. Such misunderstanding. The point of soap and water is not to kill the virus; the point of soap and water is that soap washes the virus off your hands and down the drain, just the way soap washes dirt and ink and germs and so forth off your hands.

Which is the stupidity of all those sanitizers: they don't get rid of anything, they merely smear it all over.

And I am addicted to them. My daughter always tells me that I'm going to get a germ and die due to my obsessive use of hand sanitizers. But, I only use it up to 3 times and then I wash my hands. Plus, I always wash my hands after using the ladies room (we ALL do this, right?).