Caribbean Princess cruise cut short?

fortworther

...In January 2013 we had a major fog delay going into Galveston and we were delayed going into port, so fog is more of a regional thing this time of year. Being on a fog enshrouded ship can be a magical feeling, especially if one is not sitting in a lounge waiting for disembarkation. Another sea day is not a bad thing.

Enjoy!

You must've been on the Crown coming into port while we were sitting in the terminal waiting to go out on it. We ended up having plenty of time to enjoy The Strand and a fantastic Civil War re-enactment along with a delicious lunch. Galveston definitely has it's share of fog problems too.

Those poor passengers! I sure sure sure do hope the ship leaving feb1 which we are on has better luck! Now I HAVE to think that Princess will find accommodations for those people being kicked off on fri with no flight till SAT?

weather conditions around the whole US have been soooo horrible and it looks like it is in the ocean and gulf too:(

Thanks for the heads up! We're sailing out on the 1st this Saturday. I'll watch out for any emails from Princess and have advised my TA to do the same.

Hi fellow Canadians. We are boarding Feb 8.... Wish us luck as we wish you calm seas.

Thanks Pam, for your wise input. You have so much experience and we appreciate your comments. Too bad some folks do not see that you are just being helpful.

Karen

My Wife and I are on the Feb.1 sailing this weekend. Just received an email informing us of the Norovirus issues. They said a "prolonged and intensive disinfection will take place Friday and Saturday" They said do not arrive before 12pm.

Just got an email from Princess that the current sailing is returning to port due to a NoroVirus breakout and will spend all day Friday and sat doing extensive disinfecting. Please don't try to board before noon on sat because they will not be ready. Well alrighty then:rolleyes: Now I have it from the horses mouth!

We should wait for the facts

Just received:

Dear Princess Passenger,

On the current sailing of Caribbean Princess there has been an increase in the number of reported cases of gastrointestinal illness amongst passengers. Norovirus has been identified as the cause of the illness, which is now widely circulating throughout North America. Disinfection measures are in place and case numbers are declining. However, the ship will undergo prolonged and intensive disinfection in Houston on Friday January 31, 2014 and Saturday, February 1, 2014.

Me too:D. We will make our own fun...try to stay germ free and see what life brings!!!! Bring it on!,

Fabulous positive attitude. Have a great time. As the saying goes "Attitude is everything".

Karen

With all the problems the Caribbean Princess has been having. I'm still looking forward to sailing this weekend.

Just exercise good personal hygiene and you will help yourself to avoid getting sick ideally. Enjoy the cruise.

They brought a slip to the staterooms asking if we need hotel accommodations for Friday night. They asked for flight info, etc. to find accommodations near whichever airport people are flying out of.

At 11 pm seas are currently 12-18 ft, wind 51 nts

Edited by waterboy2006

In addition to Noro, Flu has been quite heavy in TX and OK this season. We are leaving on the sailing on the 8th and I have been nearly confined to quarters to prevent catching anything before we sail. Quick trips during off-peak hours to Wally-world for supplies and mostly sitting in the cold next to the fire and watching Netflix and hanging out on CC website all day. Word to our fellow passengers, PLEASE, do not get on board if you know you are or have recently been ill. Those forms we fill are not a joke when they ask if we have been sick within 48 hours of boarding. If your sick, DON'T GO, see your MD, get a diagnosis and file a claim on your insurance, rather than chance it and bring something back on board with you. Princess will do a thorough job of cleaning, but most outbreaks are caused by boarding ill passengers and poor hygene, not from the ship itself.

Just posted by another cruiser onboard on

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1981131:

New info. Calmed down by midnight but still 4 foot seas. Not bad. Princess is providing hotel and transfers. Also refunding for one day and 20percent off next cruise. We will dock about 10pm tonight

I am onboard. The announcement about high-tailing it back to Houston came about an hour after leaving on Roatan on Tuesday. Since then, they announced last night that we will be disembarking on Friday morning because of the Border Patrol requirement. Then, due to the ship needing to be screened or re-certified by CDC, or something to that effect, There will be no re-embarking.

People with Princess air or those with Princess transfers are going to be put up in a yet to be determined hotel so flight arrangements do not have to be rearranged. The hotel and all transfers are being paid for and arranged by Princess. Additionally, all passengers will receive a 1 day per diem refund of their cruise, which will be issued in the form of an onboard credit applied to the folio. Additionally, each passenger will receive a future cruise credit equal to 20% of their cruise fare paid, booked by the end of 2014.

The above information comes from the Captain's letter dated January 29.

I have not seen any anger from anyone. Mild disappointment only. Things are going on normally, activities, shows, etc. Water bottles for personal consumption can not be filled. Servers serve you in the buffet lines. There are long lines at the purser's desk this morning.

It will be interesting to see what the actual situation is that is requiring the captain to return so soon. I'm being selfish but I sure wish I had not booked this cruise for February. I know I will enjoy my week away from work but just reading about the constantly changing weather issues is stressful for a soon to be passenger.

I feel the same way. We booked for end of March... hoping the weather has cleared up by then. But it is very stressful for me right now. I do not feel excited about this trip like I should be. I'll be calling Princess to see what my options are about cancelling. We booked our flights through Southwest so we have the flexibility of cancelling our flight and just re-booking to go elsewhere.

I feel the same way. We booked for end of March... hoping the weather has cleared up by then. But it is very stressful for me right now. I do not feel excited about this trip like I should be. I'll be calling Princess to see what my options are about cancelling. We booked our flights through Southwest so we have the flexibility of cancelling our flight and just re-booking to go elsewhere.

When are you going? We are on the 3-29 sailing.

Doug

ack ack ack. Princess just called and left a message about Noro. ACK ACK ACK:eek: The ship is going to smell like bleach for sure. Everyone got their hand sanitizers and lotion ready? :eek: i've had Noro from a Celebrity ship last year. IT AIN'T NO FUN :o. Wash your hands wash your hands wash your hands. Simple things like touching the bannisters. hhhmmm maybe latex gloves are the answer ACK ACK ACK:eek:

okay maybe i'm freaking out here. i need a giant tropical drink with a small umbrella and fruit in it to calm me down. ;)

We are also booked on Caribbean Princess in late March, and, having experienced being onboard ships with Norovirus outbreaks before, we are not worried about it.

My advice to you is to not stress about it.

Why do I say this? First, the ship will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized - and having seen some of this firsthand, it is Thorough, including surfaces one would not normally touch, and everything that is normally touched. Cabins where there were sick people are especially cleaned with strong cleaning solutions and crew in hazmat outfits.

Second - If one practices good hygiene, washing hands with soap and warm water for 20 seconds before and after going out of your cabin, this reduces the likelihood of contagion. It has worked for us.

Thirdly, It is not that difficult to avoid touching most surfaces (railings, elevator buttons, etc.) where others have touched.

Lastly, One is more likely to be exposed to Norovirus while travelling to the ship than while onboard, as airlines, airports, and hotels don't go through the thorough cleaning process that cruise ships do. While travelling we try to be as clean and sanitary as we can, starting from before we leave home.

The incubation period for Norovirus is about 2 days - so any new outbreaks would be brought on by new cruisers, and likely started in the above mentioned airports, etc.. If brought onboard, the cruise ship will initiate precautions if there are as few as 1% of the passengers reporting. It is easy to be in the other 99% of the healthy passengers.

Just exercise good personal hygiene and you will help yourself to avoid getting sick ideally. Enjoy the cruise.

Thanks Rancher Dave.

I've been looking forward to this cruise for a while now.

I also wanted to add an update for those traveling on the February 1st sailing this Saturday.

My good friend and TA received a fax from Princess 10am PST saying the following.

Due to "fog" the check in time for the sailing has been moved from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm adding the ship would set sail at 6:00 pm.

If we set sail at 6:00 pm I'll be very happy better then waiting on the ship until the next morning. Which I guess could happen due to "fog" .

If I hear any thing else I'll let you all know.

Jeff

I also wanted to add an update for those traveling on the February 1st sailing this Saturday.

My good friend and TA received a fax from Princess 10am PST saying the following.

Due to "fog" the check in time for the sailing has been moved from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm adding the ship would set sail at 6:00 pm.

Delaying check-in time until 2 PM Saturday "due to fog" makes no sense since the ship will have been there since early Friday morning.