Advice Required

Brenmich

Cell phone usage on the ship quickly becomes expensive. If you have a smartphone with music on it that you intend to use as a music player or camera, put it in airplane mode. Otherwise, turn it off and leave it in the safe.

What clothes to bring depends on where you're going! You probably won't want shorts if you're headed to Alaska, or winter coats if you're going to the Caribbean! But no matter where you are going, it is easy to overpack. I always take less than I think I need.... and even that ends up being more than I actually need.

Currency depends on where you're going, as well! Onboard the ship is completely cashless, and you charge everything to your account. For ports, you'll need cash. If you're traveling to the Caribbean or US ports, you'll want US dollars for when you'll be in port. The Western Med, Euros.

As a 1st time cruiser I would appreciate any advice you could give me. For example, what kinds of clothes to take, what currencies to take, how to handle cell phones, etc.
The Princess website has some good information on what to pack: http://www.princess.com/news/cruisingArticleDetails.jsp?id=800533843#.UunMmni9LCQ

Here's another FAQ: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Currencies depend on where you're cruising. $US are used anywhere in the Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico and New England cruises and your onboard folio will be in $US. In the Med, $US are used most places as well as €. Gibraltar uses £. You'll use € and £ on a British Isles but can also use $. For South American, Asian and Baltic cruises, you'll need local currency.

For your cell phone, if you don't plan to use it, put it in Airplane mode before leaving home. If you want to use the WiFi, you can turn that on separately. For the ship's Internet, you'll use WiFi. You don't want to use the ship's cell service as you'll pay international cell rates, roaming and international data costs in addition to the ship charge of $2.49/minute.

You can not use dollars anywhere in Europe. Euros are used in the European Union and Pounds are used in the UK. Other currencies for non- union countries. In the Caribbean it is usually dollars. In Bermuda they use both US dollars as well as Bermudian dollars. You can use dollars in Mexico.

All cell phones do not work in the Caribbean and most do not work in Europe. Check with your provider for details.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

My advice would be to use the search mode on this forum. There's tons of posts that go in to a lot of detail, even including lists. You'll find everything you need that way.

The search function has quit working for me. It either doesn't return anything or else only returns way too few items.

You can not use dollars anywhere in Europe. Euros are used in the European Union and Pounds are used in the UK. Other currencies for non-union countries. In the Caribbean it is usually dollars. In Bermuda they use both US dollars as well as Bermudian dollars. You can use dollars in Mexico.

All cell phones do not work in the Caribbean and most do not work in Europe. Check with your provider for details.

Just FYI, private tours in the Med almost always offer the option of paying in US$. You can't use them for taxis, trains or buses but you can for tours.

Most cell phones DO work in the Caribbean and in Europe. I've used a cell phone throughout Europe for years. Certainly the most popular smartphones, tablets and Kindle can be used. However, you need to check with your provider to see if they have international plans. AT&T offers several international cell and data packages. Don't know about Verizon.

Traveling through Europe will generally require that you pay with euros or credit card. From my experience, do NOT take travelers checks. They are very hard to cash even in banks. What does work is your ATM card. Notify your bank regarding travel plans so they don't deactivate your card. Even credit cards can be problematic. European cards often embed a security chip in the card which is read by their POS machines. I've had problems in some countries when they have absolutely no way to read my US card. Hence, no purchase.

As a 1st time cruiser I would appreciate any advice you could give me. For example, what kinds of clothes to take, what currencies to take, how to handle cell phones, etc.

There are other posts on tips of what to bring, but one quick one with what has been going on with the virus is wipes to wipe down all door handles, remotes, hangers, etc...

Just FYI, private tours in the Med almost always offer the option of paying in US$. You can't use them for taxis, trains or buses but you can for tours.

Most cell phones DO work in the Caribbean and in Europe. I've used a cell phone throughout Europe for years. Certainly the most popular smartphones, tablets and Kindle can be used. However, you need to check with your provider to see if they have international plans. AT&T offers several international cell and data packages. Don't know about Verizon.

Verizon has good plans for Europe which we've used for several years. They didn't have any plans for the Caribbean. The agent I spoke to before the trip said that so many people call from the Caribbean that they don't offer plans; it's one of their biggest money makers. I bet his bosses wouldn't like him to share that info!

Verizon has good plans for Europe which we've used for several years. They didn't have any plans for the Caribbean. The agent I spoke to before the trip said that so many people call from the Caribbean that they don't offer plans; it's one of their biggest money makers. I bet his bosses wouldn't like him to share that info!

Check with your provider- I have a Verizon phone and it does not allow for me to call from Europe. Only certain newer phones work in Europe. So you can't make a blanket statement regarding Verizon. This is true in the Caribbean too. I can receive calls in the Caribbean from other networks but can not call out on my phone in certain ports. I have an admittedly older Samsung phone.

Regarding currency- all countries accept credit card payments for tours but I can not imagine any country in the world excepting tips or cash payments for tours in US dollar bills. Have you ever paid for anything out of pocket using dollar bills in foreign countries (excluding Mexico and the Caribbean)? The ship tours are in US dollar and private tours will accept payments with credit cards and perhaps with travelers checks but people in foreign countries have no use for US dollar notes and I can't imagine anyone accepting them- except the cruise ship staff.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

As advised by Pam, check out the Princess website, especially that "learn about cruising." The cruise answer book has a lot of info. Also look up your ship, see what feature are on it.

Your other questions will require knowing which itinerary. You can check out the usual weather for your destinations on websites such as weather.com and wunderground.com. You can also google each port--many have their own website and there'll be tourism websites that will have good info. You can also get a guide book for the area. Many public libraries have guide books -- you can see which ones would be handy to have and then buy the most current edition on Amazon or at a local book store, if you're lucky to have one.

My #1 advice is to arrive in your embarkation city at least a day ahead (for some places, maybe a couple of days). Be realistic with your return flight too (don't assume if your scheduled arrival time on the last morning will be the time you can leave the ship...it won't be).

My #2 advice is to come on board with the idea of having a great time, but not trying to stuff activities in every minute on board and in port.

You can not use dollars anywhere in Europe. Euros are used in the European Union and Pounds are used in the UK. Other currencies for non- union countries. In the Caribbean it is usually dollars. In Bermuda they use both US dollars as well as Bermudian dollars. You can use dollars in Mexico.

My cell works in the Caribbean and Europe. Just make sure you have an international plan to help save money. Call your phone company and make sure you know when to use airplane mode and cellular data or you may have a large bill. Put it in the safe while onboard.