Internet availability on Japanese cruises

snowpixel

If it hasn't already been discussed can someone tell me why this is? I'm curious.

We were told it could interfere with Japanese communications.

However, I find that hard to believe.

The notice in the Patter said "Due to Japanese Maritime Rules and Regulations, Internet connection will not be available on the following days....."

We did find it was available some evenings when we were sailing between Japanese ports.

Edited by caribill

Thanks for all your replies. I guess the Internet will only be available when in port or when sailing in International waters as opposed to Japanese territorial waters due to strict government regulations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had seen that, but I ask because we are booked on the Diamond this year and the port lecturer that was on the Sun last year in Japan indicated (when asked on our roll call) that it wasn't an issue for them on the Sun. She will be on the Diamond this year. Curious, is all I am. :confused:

I had seen that, but I ask because we are booked on the Diamond this year and the port lecturer that was on the Sun last year in Japan indicated (when asked on our roll call) that it wasn't an issue for them on the Sun. She will be on the Diamond this year. Curious, is all I am. :confused:

Since it's a Japanese policy and applies to Japanese territorial waters, I'd be very surprised if it were applied to one ship and not another. My guess is either the person wasn't aware of the policy or the Sun had an itinerary where she sailed into international waters fairly quickly.

This policy applies to all cruise ships when in Japanese territorial waters. We were on the Sun Princess three years ago from Sydney to Beijing and for the short period of time when we passed through Japanese waters there was no Internet available to passengers. I was hoping perhaps this policy no longer applied ( thus the reason for my query) with more ships now cruising around Japan but apparently not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No cruise ship can use satellite communications in Japanese waters. This includes internet and satellite telephone.

For Japanese passengers, this is not a problem. Japanese mobile telephones are very advanced and Japanese telephone charges for internet and calls are very reasonable all over Japan.

For Western passengers, internet and satellite telephone are available as soon as the ship reaches international waters; about 60 minutes after leaving port in most cases.