Flying out day of disembarkation

sweetp09

Agree with all the above as important considerations. Also, you will get a 'probably' or 'maybe' answer in most cases. Anything earlier than the cruise lines suggested departure time is not a 100% guarantee no matter what some posters will tell you, as stuff sometimes happens (usually delays with Customs). So whatever you decide, if it is prior to the ship's recommended time make sure you know what your back-up alternatives are before finalizing your decision. Depending on the port and airline there may be many; or there may be very few.

How much stress you handle is always good to know too.

As is your mobility level. My DH and I are very, very good at moving fast when needed, MIL not so much. All of these can affect your odds of getting on the plane.

And of course, how important is it that you get home? Are you are going to get fired for not getting back to work the next day ?

Lots of things to consider when choosing flights.:rolleyes:

Edited by monicajay

We would most likely beflying Delta. We will be flying domestically from Miami. We adopt have any mobility problems and can move quickly if need be. What does the cruise line suggest?

1140 is plenty of time. It's great you adopt:):)

Check in for flight on ship day before to make airport a little more streamlined.

We just got off Reflection in Miami last Saturday. It was the slowest we've ever seen getting through Customs. They had 4 agents for 3,000 pax. We waited in line with our luggage for almost an hour just to get to a Customs agent. After that it goes pretty quick. For my comfort level, the earliest Delta flight out of MIA I would book is 11am. If you did the self luggage bag drag right away when they clear the ship you could possibly make an earlier flight, 10am or so. But it would be tight. The trip from the port to MIA is only 20 minutes or so. But debarkation mornings can be busy at the airport.

Edited by rico

Grab your MIL's luggage, self-debark and you should have no problems. If you get a late debarkation time, it would be very tight. We had a flight from FLL at the same time after cruising from Miami and, with a limo waiting, we had plenty of time.

Your ships docks in Miami? If you are debarking in Fort Lauderdale you could have problems as the trip to MIA is 35 - 80 mins depending on traffic. MIA can be a real zoo on the weekends - the lines for checking luggage and security can be quite long.

How early of a flight can I book on the day we disembark from the ship? Is 11:40AM too early to make?

If you are docking in MIA and flying domestically from MIA and as you pointed out you have no mobility issues:) then 11h40 will (should) be fine.

-Check in and print boarding pass on the ship the day before.

-Carry your own luggage off the ship. This saves minutes looking for it.

-Take a taxi to the airport instead of ship transfers that needs to fill the bus.

Since you are going from Miami to MIA you should be OK. You should do the early debarkation where you carry all your luggage off the ship. Allow time to get an elevator when you do this as there will be heavy use of the elevators on the morning of debarkation.

Its very doable. Just get luggage tags 1 or 2 will help since you probably won't do self assist. We had 1's in November with a 10:15 flight we were off real early and had plenty of time to kill in Miami airport.

I have always done self assist and made 10am flights at either airport. Knock on wood. :)

How early of a flight can I book on the day we disembark from the ship? Is 11:40AM too early to make?

General factors to consider when one is deciding what time to book departing flight:

1. What time does the cruise line suggest?

2. Which ship, which port and what is the scheduled debarkation time?

3. Are you willing and able to self disembark? ie. are you both willing and able to carry ALL your own luggage off the ship?

4. Do you have items to declare at customs?

5. How far is the airport from the port?

6. What is your transportation to the airport? Cruise shuttle, taxi, or private car?

7. Do you have to return a rental car upon arrival at the airport?

8. Will you have the capability to check in and/or print boarding passes for your flight prior to arrival at the airport?

9. Will you need to check bags at the airport?

10. Do you have any preferred/elite status with your airline that allows you to use a priority check in line?

11. Do you have any preferred/elite status with your airline that allows you to use a priority security line? Or are you eligible to use the TSA PreCheck line?

12. How many later flights does your airline have that day to your final destination? Do you have any preferred/elite status that will give you priority over other passengers if you need to get rebooked on one of them? What is the cost to change to one of them and are you able to pay that cost?

13. If you miss the flight and cannot get a later one, are you able to arrange and pay for accommodations to remain another night?

14. Do you have mobility issues?

15. How many other ships are in town that day and/or are there other major events that will cause the airport to be busier than usual that day?

If you are flying domestically within the USA and are on a ship arriving at Miami going to the Miami airport, or a ship arriving at Ft. Lauderdale and going to the Ft. Lauderdale airport, then you should be fine.

There is always a small chance of a major delay causing problems but I wouldn't hesitate to make a flight reservation at that time as long as the conditions above were true. And I would do it with normal disembarkation procedures (no need to do early self disembark) and by taking a cab or common shuttle to the airport.