Wine Policy - Enforcement info, not rants please.

LoveHAL

HAL's new wine policy is now in happening. It seems time to get a thread going from people that have boarded recently on their experience with enforcement. PLEASE, do not use this thread as a place to rant about the policy. Just FACTS from people that have boarded with actual information.

Edited by LoveHAL

HAL's new wine policy is now in happening. It seems time to get a thread going from people that have boarded recently on their experience with enforcement. PLEASE, do not use this thread as a place to rant about the policy. Just FACTS from people that have boarded with actual information.

There is a post on the sailaway thread today, that they were exempted from the new policy - but it is a charter. We're hoping to hear from Innlady soon, as she promised to report in as well.

Just boarded the Oosterdam at noon on 2/2/14 in Sydney, Australia, and was greeted with the following signage:

Alcoholic Beverages

Guests may not bring beer, boxed wine, other liquors or spirits on board. Any such beverages found in luggage will be removed and returned at the end of the voyage.

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne on board in their carry on luggage at the start of the cruise. Each additional bottle is subject to an $18 corkage fee.

Yahoo! Calmer heads have prevailed, at least for now. Each bottle in the subsequent case was recorded as to vintner, type, and year. A sticker was then applied to the bottle to indicate that corkage had been paid. Same process was applied to the original freebie, just a different color sticker.

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

3 Star Mariner on HAL

Found this posted on FB approx. 6:00pm Saturday night - can't believe I'm the first to find it. It does confirm what was just reported on CC:

Holland America Line -- Hello fans thanks for reaching out to us on Facebook. On 1/31/14, we updated our policy for guests bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. For additional information regarding the new policy please visit the following link: http://www.hollandamerica.com/.../PlanningAndAdvice.... We now will allow guests wishing to bring more than one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) in their carry-on luggage to incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee for each additional bottle brought onboard, irrespective of where the bottle is intended to be consumed. We appreciate all of your time to comment and we value all of your suggestions. If you need further assistance, you may contact our Reservations Department at 800-426-0327. We hope this helps!

From HAL Website - Revised Policy effective 1/31/14

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

Updated: 01/30/2014

Edited by Linda&Vern

Found this posted on FB approx. 6:00pm Saturday night - can't believe I'm the first to find it. It does confirm what was just reported on CC:

Holland America Line -- Hello fans thanks for reaching out to us on Facebook. On 1/31/14, we updated our policy for guests bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. For additional information regarding the new policy please visit the following link: http://www.hollandamerica.com/.../PlanningAndAdvice.... We now will allow guests wishing to bring more than one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) in their carry-on luggage to incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee for each additional bottle brought onboard, irrespective of where the bottle is intended to be consumed. We appreciate all of your time to comment and we value all of your suggestions. If you need further assistance, you may contact our Reservations Department at 800-426-0327. We hope this helps!

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

This is all good - I saw it on the website too:D I think HAL actually listened to its' customers:)

But lets say you are a single cruiser and paid the supplement shouldn't you be allowed to bring on an additional bottle and not incur the $18 fee?

But lets say you are a single cruiser and paid the supplement shouldn't you be allowed to bring on an additional bottle and not incur the $18 fee?

One might think that, but my bet is the other side. Another example of the Noah's Ark mentality.

Try it, and let us know how it works for you.

We are only 4 days after this unfair HAL policy. Has somebody tried to put wine in their luggage? Do they really find it? And when the luggage is of course close, do they break it open or doing other unlegal things. :mad::mad::mad:

We are only 4 days after this unfair HAL policy. Has somebody tried to put wine in their luggage? Do they really find it? And when the luggage is of course close, do they break it open or doing other unlegal things. :mad::mad::mad:

I don't smuggle but from what I have read on other boards, yes they will find it. If they do, they will call you down to the room (some call it the naughty room) and have you open your luggage in front of them.

With the corkage fee now in effect, IMO there is no need to smuggle:D

This is probably a question for Copper 10-8, but I think inspecting your luggage is legal, and desired for security reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't smuggle but from what I have read on other boards, yes they will find it. If they do, they will call you down to the room (some call it the naughty room) and have you open your luggage in front of them.

With the corkage fee now in effect, IMO there is no need to smuggle:D

I don't smuggle, but I would like to be able to check a case of wine, clearly marked "wine" and don't see any logical reason why this can't be allowed.

There is, of course, not a great deal of sense talking with the HAL agents. Yesterday one adamantly advised that only one bottle per person was allowed under any circumstances.

We boarded the Westerdam Jan. 25 with 2 bottles of wine in ouy carry on bag. After the bag went through x-ray we were sent to a table where a HAL attendent told us we were only allowed to bring one bottle aboard per stateroom. I told him that new policy doesn't go into effect until Jan. 31 and the new policy allows 1 bottle per passenger, not stateroom. Seems that HAL is really trying to eliminate wine brought on board altogether. The young man let us board with our 2 bottles. When we got to our stateroom we found that we had wine glasses but no opener. When we met our cabin steward, we asked for a wine bottle opener. He said he only had one and would open our wine for us. I called the front desk after he left and asked for a wine bottle opener and was told that they are no longer supplied in the rooms, to call our cabin steward when we wanted a bottle opened. Bring a corkscrew with you if you want to open a bottle without having to wait for someone to come to you. We have never brought more than 2 bottles on board, so not bringing any will not affect us very much. I just like to have a glass when getting ready for the evening. We do buy drinks and wine at the bars, never run back to our room to fill out sports bottles for cocktails by the pool. In fact the last 2 cruises we purchased the Signature Beverage package. But it is still nice to have a bottle of wine for use in your room .

We boarded the Westerdam Jan. 25 with 2 bottles of wine in ouy carry on bag. After the bag went through x-ray we were sent to a table where a HAL attendent told us we were only allowed to bring one bottle aboard per stateroom. I told him that new policy doesn't go into effect until Jan. 31 and the new policy allows 1 bottle per passenger' date=' not stateroom. Seems that HAL is really trying to eliminate wine brought on board altogether. The young man let us board with our 2 bottles. When we got to our stateroom we found that we had wine glasses but no opener. When we met our cabin steward, we asked for a wine bottle opener. He said he only had one and would open our wine for us. I called the front desk after he left and asked for a wine bottle opener and was told that they are no longer supplied in the rooms, to call our cabin steward when we wanted a bottle opened. Bring a corkscrew with you if you want to open a bottle without having to wait for someone to come to you. We have never brought more than 2 bottles on board, so not bringing any will not affect us very much. I just like to have a glass when getting ready for the evening. We do buy drinks and wine at the bars, never run back to our room to fill out sports bottles for cocktails by the pool. In fact the last 2 cruises we purchased the Signature Beverage package. But it is still nice to have a bottle of wine for use in your room .[/quote']

Omigod, can you imagine the poor room steward running around with the only corkscrew - on embarkation day.:eek: What ridiculous thinking - and how is that a cost saving? As for the rest of the story - does it really surprise anyone, given the appalling lack of communication within the HAL organisation? You get different answers from whoever you ask at HAL on any topic.

I don't smuggle, but I would like to be able to check a case of wine, clearly marked "wine" and don't see any logical reason why this can't be allowed.

There is, of course, not a great deal of sense talking with the HAL agents. Yesterday one adamantly advised that only one bottle per person was allowed under any circumstances.

You will have your wine checked after you go through security and that is when they will levy the corkage fee(s) I would think. So, it would be difficult to check a case of wine under these circumstances. Why not just carry it on? If you don't have those bags that hold 6 bottles each, Total Wine does carry them and they are quite strong. So, you could each carry 6 bottles on, no?

Just trying to offer options;) We have always carried ours on.

We boarded the Westerdam Jan. 25 with 2 bottles of wine in ouy carry on bag. After the bag went through x-ray we were sent to a table where a HAL attendent told us we were only allowed to bring one bottle aboard per stateroom. I told him that new policy doesn't go into effect until Jan. 31 and the new policy allows 1 bottle per passenger' date=' not stateroom. Seems that HAL is really trying to eliminate wine brought on board altogether. The young man let us board with our 2 bottles. When we got to our stateroom we found that we had wine glasses but no opener. When we met our cabin steward, we asked for a wine bottle opener. He said he only had one and would open our wine for us. I called the front desk after he left and asked for a wine bottle opener and was told that they are no longer supplied in the rooms, to call our cabin steward when we wanted a bottle opened. Bring a corkscrew with you if you want to open a bottle without having to wait for someone to come to you. We have never brought more than 2 bottles on board, so not bringing any will not affect us very much. I just like to have a glass when getting ready for the evening. We do buy drinks and wine at the bars, never run back to our room to fill out sports bottles for cocktails by the pool. In fact the last 2 cruises we purchased the Signature Beverage package. But it is still nice to have a bottle of wine for use in your room .[/quote']

I hope you mention all this on your end of cruise survey. The misinformation you received is completely unacceptable IMHO. The appallingly poor "customer service" re the corkscrew is beyond ridiculous. The cabin stewards are once again being put in the line of fire with dissatisfied customers, and that's terrible. They have enough to deal with, without having to calm down pax who are irate about getting wine opened :(

There is a post on the sailaway thread today, that they were exempted from the new policy - but it is a charter. We're hoping to hear from Innlady soon, as she promised to report in as well.

We're in St. Croix today and have to board the tour van in 3 minutes so not much time! Internet not working on Maasdam.:( We were exempt but I'll let you know what happens when we board Noordam on Friday. From what I understand, the wine policy has been amended. From mamaofami, not from the ship.

Your bags go through an xray machine. How hard would it be to see that bottle? I think we all have to abide with the new rule or risk having the wine confiscated. Since they are allowing you to bring new wine on in each port, you just have to pay the corkage fee for that. Wonder how that's going to slow down the line of people re embarking each day?

You will have your wine checked after you go through security and that is when they will levy the corkage fee(s) I would think. So, it would be difficult to check a case of wine under these circumstances. Why not just carry it on? If you don't have those bags that hold 6 bottles each, Total Wine does carry them and they are quite strong. So, you could each carry 6 bottles on, no?

Just trying to offer options;) We have always carried ours on.

How can you do that if they only allow 2 bottles when boarding?

So far, this is all very confusing.

When Innlady gets on Noordam, she will post. There's no internet at all on Maasdam where she is now.

Obviously you have not read this entire thread.. If you had you would have noted a change in the policy..

It is NOT illegal for any Common Carrier to search your luggage, as long as you are present! If you refuse to open it & permit their search, they can refuse to permit you to travel on the carrier, including airlines, ships, busses, trains etc.

Carriers will not break any locks, but I've seen U.S. Customs break a lock, open a suitcase to see what was in it.. That also is not illegal!

Edited by serendipity1499