FOS - 1 adult, 4 kids: F OV room or 2 balconies

TwinsXTwo

I am a first time cruiser traveling alone with my 4 children (ages 8, 8, 10, & 10).

We currently have a family ocean view room. Has anyone stayed in one of these?

I may be able to change to 2 connecting balcony cabins (for about $350). I like the idea of having two bathrooms and having a balcony, but I've never been on a cruise so I'm not sure how concerned I should be about safety with one adult and 4 children in balcony connecting cabins.

What would you do? Switch? for the balcony and the 2nd bathroom, or stay in the family ocean view?

Thanks!

I'd stick with the family OV, if there's only you and the kids. If there were 2 of you, and you wanted privacy, I'd do connecting cabins...but that doesn't seem to be an issue. Keep what you have..plenty of space!

Just so you know....kids won't "fall" off a balcony.....they don't fall off your deck or patio or staircase at home, do they? It's almost impossible to "fall" off a ship, unless you're drunk as hell.

I know you were asking about the family OV or 2 balconies but I'd like to offer my experience with the family promenade on FOS. We booked that room for my DH, my mother, two children (22, 12) and myself. The room was more than large enough for us and we loved looking over the promenade. When we needed extra bathrooms, my husband and I went to the exercise area and used the showers there. That shower area was nice and always clean and had nice thick towels. So, the OV would probably work out fine for you bathroom wise if you would need to do this. Of course you know the children best and their maturity level to have a separate room. Either way, enjoy your cruise and don't be afraid to check out private tours.

I would go for the 2 connecting rooms and leave the door between open! Can not imagine 4 people and one bathroom.

Ok I CAN imagine, it I grew up in a small one story house with 5 people....NEVER want to relieve it...lol.

Obviously you're going to have a talk with the kids about how to behave so you don't get thrown off the ship;) so just explain that you don't climb on the balcony railing.

We had a Family OV this past November. It was me, DH, and 2DD ages 23 & 26. I had originally booked 2 balconies, but snagged the FOV near final payment, saving us $1500. When they were teens, we all stayed in a regular balcony room. The FOV was great! We just coordinated showers. It was a very large room, & being 1 adult & 4 children, I personally would keep the FOV. I know the extra shower would be nice, but I would just feel more comfortable w/ them all in 1 room with me. My DD's would've liked to have their own room, but we enjoyed using the extra money for excursions & drinks!:)

Barbara

We did FOV twice, once on Freedom and once on Liberty, we are a family of 5. The cabin space was really nice and we enjoyed being at the front of the ship. Having one bathroom was a challenge at times. Since then we have done RFS or two connecting balconies, that seems to work better. We really like having two bathrooms and a balcony.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

I think you have to have an adult in each room with small children. So that won't work. check with RCC

No, you don't. RCI's policy is that you can book your minor children into their own room if it is directly next door, or directly across the hall, from your own room. I've done it many times.

OP, did you check availability and price on cabins 9996/9701, or 9396/9401? Or, 9518/9520 or 9218/9220? These are a balcony connected to an inside, or a balcony connected to a window cabin.

I'm in the camp that says 2 connecting rooms. The children are old enough to understand not to hang over the balcony. Having 2 bathrooms will be a plus. I would not send kids ages 8 & 10 to the gym to shower nor would I go to the gym myself to shower and leave the kids alone.

Most of the time when someone falls off the balcony it is because alcohol was involved.

Edited by Marie51

I'm in the camp that says 2 connecting rooms. The children are old enough to understand not to hang over the balcony. Having 2 bathrooms will be a plus. I would not send kids ages 8 & 10 to the gym to shower nor would I go to the gym myself to shower and leave the kids alone.

Most of the time when someone falls off the balcony it is because alcohol was involved.

why would anyone with small kids go to the gym to shower? I'm sure the balcony doors in the kids room can be locked if not lockable ask the room steward for a stick to put in track.

why would anyone with small kids go to the gym to shower? I'm sure the balcony doors in the kids room can be locked if not lockable ask the room steward for a stick to put in track.

I only said this because someone else suggested going to the gym/spa to shower if there were multiple people in the cabin. I was just giving my opinion that it is not a good idea.

I only said this because someone else suggested going to the gym/spa to shower if there were multiple people in the cabin. I was just giving my opinion that it is not a good idea.

I have seen that mentioned.. but even with multiple adults and everyone concern over noro and other germs why would anyone with or with someone to watch the kids go to the gym to shower. I doubt that most mothers would even consider sending young daughters to the showers alone or leaving them alone to go take a shower. Why do folks always seem to assume everyone has no common sense.

I have 2 boys (now ages 9 and 11). We haven't stayed in a family OV, but we have stayed a number of times with 2 interconnecting cabins on the Freedom class. Having the 2 bathrooms was great and so was the extra privacy. My boys were younger then and went to bed early. We brought a baby monitor which we used when the door was closed (but not locked) and mostly closed. I would compare the square footage between the 2 cabin option and the family OV option and see where you net out. Originally, I was worried about the potential balcony safety issue, but it has not a problem with my kids.

Have a great time!