How would you handle glacially slow MDR service

LoveyHowell

If I went to Applebee"s and dinner took 2.5 to 3 hours I certainly would be adjusting the tip! I mention Applebee's because I would say the meal is on par with Applebee's.

This problem has been going on since NCL went to Freestyle dining probably around a decade now. I think it's far too long to continue to be patient with the system. I've been on no less than 15 NCL cruises and they re all the same. Like you say, very polite wait staff, very apologetic but completely and totally inefficient. When you are in the dining room at 6pm and you have to leave before dessert to make an 8:30 or 9pm show, that should make the average customer IRATE!

A good customer, a good consumer would respond with adjusting the tip AND notifying the Management on exactly why. But like you said, the Management KNOWS, they've known they are inefficient and it's going on a decade now.

Yes, I believe if the tips are adjusted downward, and the staff as well as the consumer are complaining, then maybe there will be process improvement.

I totally disagree with your assessment of NCL service !!! You are entitled to your opinion, but my experience on approximately 40 NCL cruises has not been anywhere near as bad as you make it sound. I have seen some deficiencies, but NONE that I would consider a downward trend.

All mainstream cruise lines are making cutbacks to try to remain competitive while keeping the price of cruises from increasing. The complaints about service and quality of food are not valid when you consider what you are paying for a cruise now as opposed to 10 or 20 years ago. Run the numbers in an inflation calculator and see what you are getting for your money in actual value .

Price some of the cruise lines that provide what you consider superb service and quality, and you will see that NCL is giving you a lot for your dollar.

Edited by swedish weave

Lovey ---- Now that you have been thoroughly raked over the coals, I see a few things in this thread that will benefit you in the future.

The big one is the Meet and Greet. It is not unusual to see 7 or 8 senior officers at the meeting, and they do beg you to bring any problems to their attention right away. That applies to all departments on the ship, and they are serious about wanting you to have a great cruise. Also, as has been mentioned, they would rather know about and resolve problems right away than to see them posted on CC or other internet places.

Keeping everything working on a ship is sort of like managing a city. Things do not always work as intended, but it makes it much simpler of the managers get a handle on the problems and get an opportunity to fix them.

Some of the deficiencies can be the fault of upper management, but many things that go wrong can be corrected by the people on the ships, and they do care.

Relax. Make the best of your situation.

If dining seems to be taking too long, during the course of the evening, try playing several “games,” such as “Humiliate the Host,” “Get the Guests,” or “Hump the Hostess”. :D

“Martha: Truth or illusion, George; you don't know the difference.

George: No, but we must carry on as though we did.

Martha: Amen.”

― Edward Albee, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Please help me understand. Firstly, the staff are paid a weekly salary, are they not? Therefore the DSC is a tip.

The service charge is part of the crew's salary. It is not a tip. The money from this charge is pooled and distributed by some unknown formula across the entire subscribed service staff.

Essentially, it's a marketing technique to make the basic price of the cruise appear lower than it actually is.

Since it is presented in this manner, corporate management has little choice but to allow you the ability to adjust it. Of course, they prefer you resolve the issue with them - either on-board or with headquarters. For us, we've found that having a good relationship with the staff and officers helps to smooth the few difficulties we have experienced.

You are correct that anything labeled discretionary is not mandatory. However, the use of the word "discretionary" (as an adjective, and which only appears in very limited NCL corporate text) is a word game to mitigate the "bottom line" marketing strategy. "Discreet" (or quiet, private) service payment would be more accurate.

In the end, inadequate staffing is a management issue. Unfortunately, poor management is a corporate problem and will eventually reflect on the corporation's profit and loss statements. Working with the system is better until the system fails. At which point, a more favourable system would be more satisfactory.

Best wishes. We've always found that selective, personal tips to exceptional crew members has enhanced our on-board stay. Citation comment cards may work as well, as it is claimed they are part of the crew's "incentive" (or salary) program.

My question is was the length of dinner 3 hours every single night. If it is just one or two times there might have been an issue in the kitchen. The hotel director is one to go to. DH and I are traveling on cruise # 5 with NCL in May in fact doing Gem again which we did last May. We told the waiter we were in a rush and did not eat dessert. We asked for the soup and appetizer to come at the same time. We were out in 30 minutes. The other times dinner took 45-60 minutes. We never removed the charges. We only gave extra tips and wrote out cards to those who deserved it. It is not fair to those who work behind the scenes and work hard to suffer.

5. NCL absolutely does try to drive people to specialty restaurants.

So as I see it now, my choices are A. remove DSC and inadvertently screw hard working people who are not at fault B. Spend more $$$ to eat at specialty restaurants. C. Write a letter resulting in no change D. Chase management around during the cruise.

Nonsense.

So as I see it now, my choices are A. remove DSC and inadvertently screw hard working people who are not at fault B. Spend more $$$ to eat at specialty restaurants. C. Write a letter resulting in no change D. Chase management around during the cruise.

Sorry to all the unwavering fans of NCL, just relaying my first hand actual experience. If you had had as long of a dining experience as I did you would be questioning how to rectify it as well. Getting up and storming out to go to the buffet is ONLY spiting myself and resulting in NO corrective measure.

OK maybe they are the options you see.

Here are my options. Since I attend the M&G, I know that those wonderful officers that are handing out those "if you have a complaint phone this number" card.

After an unacceptable amount of time to me (definitely a personal view), I would get up, let the maître d' know why I was leaving without finishing. I would waste no time chasing down management, I'm on vacation and would not want to do that. But I would drop a note in the fantastic box that sits up at the customer service desk marked H.D. or use those fantastic numbers I picked up on the first sea day at the M&G and make a phone call leaving a message with the food and beverage officer. (They will chase you down). Explain what I felt was unacceptable and let them deal with it. I would waste no more time than that. If it still did not fix the problem, when I got home I would write a letter to corporate with my complaint.

As I said earlier in no way would I punish all the hard working crew for this, period.

On my last cruise we had excessively long MDR dinners, often 2.5 hours, approaching 3 in some cases. We did advise our wait staff of planned evening events and a desire for a faster pace but it never happened. MDR staff are cordial but inefficient. This, I feel, is managements fault. They do not supply an adequate level of staff. I did talk to a head waiter who was understanding and apologetic, yet unable to do anything. I don't believe he was unwilling to do so, just unable and limited by resources.

Am considering removing DSC in the future as I find the service sub par in MDR. On the one hand I know my tips are basicallyhow the waiters get paid BC the cruise line does not pay well, on the other hand I feel like I'm paying full service charge for poor service. Maybe its not fair to penalize the wait staff? I haven't made up my mind as I don't want people to not be paid for their hard work, but I believe NCL is sticking me with the payroll bill and providing lackluster service.

And before anyone suggests, I don't think I should need to go to an up charge restaurant each night to get adequate service. If the DSC is removed is it all or nothing? I may prefer it be adjusted downwards to reflect the service level provided but not $0. Much like a land based restaurant I anticipate to tip a certain amount when entering but adjust up or down based on services rendered, I do not subscribe to the notion that simply being nice means I need to tip well if the service is actually poor.

When you receive sub par service on NCL what have you done about it?

You can adjust the Discretionary Service Charge up or down in any increment you choose.

Here are my options. Since I attend the M&G, I know that those wonderful officers that are handing out those "if you have a complaint phone this number" card.

After an unacceptable amount of time to me (definitely a personal view), I would get up, let the maître d' know why I was leaving without finishing. I would waste no time chasing down management, I'm on vacation and would not want to do that. But I would drop a note in the fantastic box that sits up at the customer service desk marked H.D. or use those fantastic numbers I picked up on the first sea day at the M&G and make a phone call leaving a message with the food and beverage officer. (They will chase you down). Explain what I felt was unacceptable and let them deal with it. I would waste no more time than that. If it still did not fix the problem, when I got home I would write a letter to corporate with my complaint.

As I said earlier in no way would I punish all the hard working crew for this, period.

^^^ THIS ^^^ (perfect answer!)

Lovey, I just want to echo the suggestions by others that you attend the meet and greet. I should have suggested it myself earlier. There are always multiple officers at them. During my recent cruise on the Gem, both the Captain and the Hotel Directot attended and spoke to the group. The Hotel Director made it a point to ask us to PLEASE use the numbers on the cards provided if we had any trouble so they could deal with it immediately instead of waiting till after the cruise! By the way I had a wonderful experience on the Gem. I dined in the MDR on 4 nights out of 9 and every time the service and food were excellent.

Not really necessary to attend the M&G if you don't want to. The only real number you need is the phone number to the hotel director. Most ships it is 8888. The customer service desk can give it to you if you are unsure.

The buck stops with the HD, so he is usually the best last (first?) resort to contact. If the HD cannot fix your issue, it cannot be fixed while on board.

Edited by Love my butler

"1. I can not emphatically enough state there is no exaggeration on my behalf. I am relaying the facts of the matter. My first hand experience was what I considered to be not normal and I am sharing my experiences. I have no reason to exaggerate just as you have no reason to doubt." OP

Hello OP...it happened to me as a solo diner on Carnival twice, same cruise in main and almost as bad in Steakhouse....more like 2 1/2 plus hours..but way too long for one on "my time dining"..all separate from the waiting time..this was the seating and not being served time...NOT the waiting to be seated time. This was so opposite of a cruise on Carnival a couple of years previously at a 12 top with mixed attending and changing singles on early seating..they were WONDERFUL and not over chatty but fun, efficient, kind, and appropriate for food cold or hot..and keeping your wine bottle dinner to dinner..alcohol served first with your name mentioned while waiting for your appetizer..just GREAT!!! I could not get a glass of wine until dessert on my last one...

I believe you; and have only read through first pages but there is enough info here to make me feel better about risking NCL over Carnival now..still a Mass Market line..hopefully a little step up as of late. Even with these issues happening more often in he main dining room everywhere but luxury level. This is an issue in the main dining rooms on mass market at this economic down time and even at the Premium Celebrity/Holland level I am hearing. I am glad to read many have had this issue here and remember a percentage has had this if you have and even one other person mentions it here..I really have hope when it happened and was rectified on the back to back 2 14 day European cruises.

The answer..and this is the hard part..is to talk to someone when you get more mellow during your cruise to best rectify. I am like you and do not want to keep on an issue like this on vacation..but waiting until I am in a better mood and moving up the chain of management, even the next day until you get a worthwhile soul and tip them a little if they help pronto...this will be my next approach on my next Mass Market Cruise..thanks for the thead...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

A++++ Answer..should have read from the bottom up...my next plan and thank you..sarah:)

I don't understand why your meal has taken so long. I've done 16 cruises, normally eat in the MDR and have never encountered this problem. Generalizing, Europeans and Aussies, don't like the meal to be too rushed, but 90 minutes to me is a reasonable time and I don't think my meal has ever gone beyond this. I order three courses too. How many courses are you ordering? They also will not bring the next course if everyone hasn't finished the prior course.

I've dined alone very occasionally and so don't want the meal to be drawn out as there is no one to chat to between courses. I then tell the waiter this and I've always found them to bring the courses very quickly. Likewise, if we want to be out by a certain time for a show etc we tell the waiter. On my last cruise, (we only had 55 minutes to be in and out) the waiter let me know there would be a delay on my dessert as they cook in batches to ensure freshness etc. I asked him if we could come back later for dessert. He suggested delivering it to my cabin to save us having to come back again. It was rather nice coming back to our cabin to a yummy dessert, so nicely presented.

For example, if I remove the DSC, is it all or nothing (still unanswered; and this is a question of FACT, not opinion)? I am aware that many behind the scenes, so to speak, staffers receive a portion of that. If the staff is unhappy about reduction of DSC and voice their complaints to management enough maybe they will get the staffing levels they need to have good service and thus be earning full DSC and above and beyond. I would never leave a land based restaurant without tipping, but if the service were horrible it might be a 12% tip, not 20%. Likewise, if service were great a tip can go as high as 25%-20%. Any place that automatically adds 20% gratuity to service, I have found personally, has poor service not worthy of the 20%.

The staff is not going to complain about any reduction of DSC, they accept what it is. The only way for management to hear of any service problems, is for you to (1) speak with the Hotel Director and (2) write a letter to corporate.

My suggestion. When you first arrive, tell you waiter you have to leave at a certain time and if you think things are going slow, remind the waiter again. If it continues to go slow, ask to speak to the Dining Room Manager and express your concerns. Next step is to speak with the Hotel Director and voice your frustration as to how long your dinners are taking.

I will probably get flame-basted, but my thoughts are this, and this is all from past experiences:

If I ask for coffee with my desert in the MDR, and repeat my request and do not get a cup of coffee until I am standing up to leave the MDR, and this happens every night, I think the servers should not be paid their share (whatever that is) of the DSC.

If I am eating at the buffet (breakfast and/or lunch) and all the tables are cluttered with dirty dishes or not wiped off, servers should not be paid their share (whatever that is) of the DSC.

If I go to lay by the pool, and all the chairs are being occupied by towels, and I say something to the pool boys (or whatever you call them) and they do not clear a couple chairs for us, they should not be paid their share (whatever that is) of the DSC.

If I come back to my room and there is no ice (even though I asked the room attendant to please keep ice in the room, or if the room was not properly cleaned (same crumbs on the floor from breakfast), he should not be paid his share (whatever that is) of the DSC.

Drinks already have tip added, but when the pool boy brings me a drink, I add additional tip, if he calls me by name and asks if I would like another Coors Light or whatever I was drinking previously, he gets a nicer tip.

Piano player plays a song I requested, of course he gets a tip.

I will say I have never asked to have the DSC charge reduced, but I can surely understand why people would.

I will probably get flame-basted, but my thoughts are this, and this is all from past experiences:

If I ask for coffee with my desert in the MDR, and repeat my request and do not get a cup of coffee until I am standing up to leave the MDR, and this happens every night, I think the servers should not be paid their share (whatever that is) of the DSC.

If I am eating at the buffet (breakfast and/or lunch) and all the tables are cluttered with dirty dishes or not wiped off, servers should not be paid their share (whatever that is) of the DSC.

If I go to lay by the pool, and all the chairs are being occupied by towels, and I say something to the pool boys (or whatever you call them) and they do not clear a couple chairs for us, they should not be paid their share (whatever that is) of the DSC.

If I come back to my room and there is no ice (even though I asked the room attendant to please keep ice in the room, or if the room was not properly cleaned (same crumbs on the floor from breakfast), he should not be paid his share (whatever that is) of the DSC.

Drinks already have tip added, but when the pool boy brings me a drink, I add additional tip, if he calls me by name and asks if I would like another Coors Light or whatever I was drinking previously, he gets a nicer tip.

Piano player plays a song I requested, of course he gets a tip.

I will say I have never asked to have the DSC charge reduced, but I can surely understand why people would.

OK I won't flame you, but I can tell you how to successfully make this happen without reducing the DSC and punishing all but just the ones you think deserve it.

Here is where the DSC differs from an actual tip, because it does not all go to the crew in the form of $$$$s like a normal tip would.

"What's the service charge? Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports."

Therefore you would never know how much to deduct because you don't know how much goes to each crew member in cash, nor do you know how many ways the actual cash is divided.

If a crew member does not live up to your expectations. Get their name, fill out a style card (or whatever it is they call them now). Put the crews name on it and where you think they did not meet your expectations. Then when it comes to promotions or other "incentive programs" they will have a strike against them. Far more important to a crew member than the few cents they get from each DSC per passenger when it is divided among so many crew members and they don't get the whole thing in cash.

And far less time wasted on your vacation, because those cards are normally found in your cabin and you can fill them out at your leisure instead of standing in a line up at customer service.

You can even simplify filling them out if there is a group like your example in the buffet clearing dishes or pool people you have spoken to. Just give the date and time, I guarantee they know who's working which shift and where.

Edited by che5904

If you do some quick math. Lets take the Dawn for an example they have approx. 1000 crew. Let's assume 1/3 of them are service & behind the scenes workers. $12 / 340 crew = $0.04 cents a day they get from you to divide between cash and incentive programs. Your whole 7 days would only be $0.28. Do you really want to stand in line at the customer service to remove $0.28.

Just trying to put things in perspective.

Edited by che5904

you can and should reduce your tipping at guest services to $10 Pp Pd. NCL needs to feel the pain in order to implement changes and the only way to get their attention is where it hurts , the wallet. If enough people show their displeasure then things will improve but if people continue to pay for subpar service why should they make changes.

you can and should reduce your tipping at guest services to $10 Pp Pd. NCL needs to feel the pain in order to implement changes and the only way to get their attention is where it hurts , the wallet. If enough people show their displeasure then things will improve but if people continue to pay for subpar service why should they make changes.

OK but considering that this amount does not go to "NCL" but to their crew and their crew's incentive programs you are not hitting NCL's wallet, only helping your own. And the OP already stated a few times that she did not feel this was a "crew" issue but more at management level (who do not in any way benefit from the DSC).

If you are not satisfied, take your business elsewhere, now that is hitting NCL's wallet. Demand an OBC for what you are not satisfied about (you will have to either do that with the H.D onboard for that sailing. or for a future cruise with corporate after your cruise). Their portion of course wouldn't be equivalent to the whole OBC but regardless it will hit NCL's wallet.

Try making the punishment fit the crime.

Edited by che5904

Lovey,

As some of the others have written I would leave comment cards in the HD's box, stating the nature of the problem. Next, speak to the HD in person. If the problem persists, write a letter to Miami, keeping it short and to the point.

Understaffing is a problem with many companies, not only cruiselines.

Perhaps NCL and other lines need to increase staffing levels, especially on the mega-ships.

If you do some quick math. Lets take the Dawn for an example they have approx. 1000 crew. Let's assume 1/3 of them are service & behind the scenes workers. $12 / 340 crew = $0.04 cents a day they get from you to divide between cash and incentive programs. Your whole 7 days would only be $0.28. Do you really want to stand in line at the customer service to remove $0.28.

Just trying to put things in perspective.

Further to this. And if your goal is to just get the cabin steward to straighten up his/her act and do what they are suppose to do. Next time you see them, ask them to supply you with a "style card". I can almost bet the next time you walk into your cabin, your cabin will be spic 'n span and your ice bucket will be over flowing. (since they will have no idea why you want these cards and will just want to cover their own butt). ;)

BTW this same trick can work for any service crew onboard from cabin stewards to dining venue servers.

This might be true, if, indeed the service is awful, but, for most of us, we have never experienced this. Again, I find it hard to believer we have cruised 15 times on NCL and never had anywhere near a 3 hour dinner: I would guess we have had 2 hours a couple of times, but never anywhere near 3. I have to think either this is an exaggeration or a one time experience. It is not common. In fact one of the reasons we stick with NCL is the service. Yes, there are exceptions, we actually went to the Hotel manager once and complained about the service most of the cruise. The ship had just come out of dry dock, I am guessing part of the crew was new and the service showed it. No, we did not adjust the gratuity, we just didn't give anyone, anything extra like we sometimes do.