Are all lobster great equal?

bryanjaync

We bought the package too and have a later reservation at the steakhouse the first night out. The wife says she may want to go to the MDR early and just get the lobster as an appetizer. Good pick on the SUN, our favorite ship.

Is the lobster in the MDR and the lobster in the steakhouse (in particular, the one on the Sun) the same ? Trying to decide where to dine the first night (have UDP). Thanks

Absolutely not. The MDR Lobster is a small tail and you can order 2 if you like. The ones on the menu in the special dining room are large, Maine Lobsters and much better.

Just a note: we were on the Jade for 21 days in January 2014. Lobster, escargot, rack of lamb and duck NEVER made an appearance in the MDR. (except for an Asian duck salad appetizer with a few strips of meat.). These items were only available at the speciality restaurants.

Same can be said of steaks cooked to order. Any steak ordered in the MDR is delivered well done regardless of how it was requested. Cagney's steak was outstanding (per my ex butcher husband).

Edited by jkgourmet

Just a note: we were on the Jade for 21 days in January 2014. Lobster, escargot, rack of lamb and duck NEVER made an appearance in the MDR. (except for an Asian duck salad appetizer with a few strips of meat.). These items were only available at the speciality restaurants.

Same can be said of steaks cooked to order. Any steak ordered in the MDR is delivered well done regardless of how it was requested. Cagney's steak was outstanding (per my ex butcher husband).

On the Spirit in January, i was able to order steak in the MDR medium rare. I wouldn't settle for a well done steak and i am hoping this changes for my trip on the Jade later this year. Hoping this isn't a new trend :(

We bought the package too and have a later reservation at the steakhouse the first night out. The wife says she may want to go to the MDR early and just get the lobster as an appetizer. Good pick on the SUN, our favorite ship.

I'm in the Sun for 14 day Alaska cruise this coming June.. so very much interested on this ship as this is longer than the usual 7 day cruise.

Are the alternative restaurants here worthwhile to get the ultimate package? How does the restaurants here compare to Epic or Breakaway...

The steakhouse here is East meets West instead of Cagney's..

What I don't like is sushi used to be eat all you can in NCL in just one flat rate, now is ala cart.. and even with the ultimate package, ala cart stays with just 20% off..

Which comes to my next related question.. is there still an option in Ginza sushi for all you can eat sushi for like $20?

Absolutely not. The MDR Lobster is a small tail and you can order 2 if you like. The ones on the menu in the special dining room are large, Maine Lobsters and much better.

You might even get 3 if you play your cards right. ;)

There is nothing as good as Maine lobster.:D

I would say the Atlantic Canada lobster is on par with Maine Lobster.

I find the main dinning room Lobster is good but it is not the same. Think of it an a previously frozen smaller version of a lobster.

Here's the MDR lobster. It's a caribbean lobster tail of some sort. I found it to be chewy and somewhat disapointing. I enjoyed the fish served with it more. We were able to get several extra, which my son enjoyed.

They look bigger in this picture than they were. I'd say about as big around as my thumb and 4-5 inches long

DSCN4748-vi.jpg

90 degree rotated view showing the snapper underneath

DSCN4747-vi.jpg

There is nothing as good as Maine lobster.:D

I wonder where in Maine they get the lobster? A Maine Lobster is actually a trademarked name. They must be caught in Maine.

Other wise that lobster can be caught from Canada all the way into the Carolinas. Unless caught in Maine waters, it is a cold water lobster.

Here in New Hampshire you can catch a cold water lobster, but a lobster trap a few feet over the border in Maine they catch Maine Lobster. Maine Lobster are so succulent and sweet.

I grew up lobster fishing (trapping) in Southern Maine near the New Hampshire boarder. We ate it multiple times a week. Not so often nowadays.

I don't mind rock lobster. A little more "fishy" taste though, and a funky looking shell coloring. Most folks around here feel rock lobster is so inferior.

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers

I didn't know you just got off the Jade; I also didn't realize you couldn't get the steak in the MDR cooked to order. We always have. I did know escargot was no longer available in the MDR, it hasn't been for several years. If wasn't on our 14 day cruise on Princess a couple years ago either, the same with Duck. I will try ordering steak on our next cruise ( in April) and see what happens. We didn't have it on our last NCL cruise in December.

I'm in the Sun for 14 day Alaska cruise this coming June.. so very much interested on this ship as this is longer than the usual 7 day cruise.

Are the alternative restaurants here worthwhile to get the ultimate package? How does the restaurants here compare to Epic or Breakaway...

The steakhouse here is East meets West instead of Cagney's..

What I don't like is sushi used to be eat all you can in NCL in just one flat rate, now is ala cart.. and even with the ultimate package, ala cart stays with just 20% off..

Which comes to my next related question.. is there still an option in Ginza sushi for all you can eat sushi for like $20?

I can't speak on the Sushi question cause we are not sushi eaters, but I can the rest. You will not find exactly the same or should I say quite as many dining choices on the Sun. Remember the ship is about 1/2 as big and one of the older ones. That being said, the specially dining rooms are very good. Our favorite was Modernos and next was Il Adagios (the Italian restaurant) East meets West is about the same as Cagney's on any other ship and le Bistro, is Le Bistro, what more can be said? If you really enjoy the specialty dining experience, the package is worth it: for us, it would not be. I guess it is like the UBP, if you are big drinkers it is great, we certainly do drink, but not enough to warrant the price.

I didn't know you just got off the Jade; I also didn't realize you couldn't get the steak in the MDR cooked to order. We always have. I did know escargot was no longer available in the MDR, it hasn't been for several years. If wasn't on our 14 day cruise on Princess a couple years ago either, the same with Duck. I will try ordering steak on our next cruise ( in April) and see what happens. We didn't have it on our last NCL cruise in December.

No, you could order the steak cooked to order in the MDR. It just always came out medium or well done no matter what you asked for. This was a topic of conversation (complaint) for nearly every person we had dinner with in the MDR (we always asked to be seated with others).

Once, in the buffet, I asked for a medium rare hamburger. I was told, flat out, "No, I'm sorry, we have to cook our burgers to well done." And they were. Always. And usually required a 5-10 minute wait.