1st time with RCCL, I have a few questions!

kel585

I'll be sailing on the IOS in August 2014, have sailed before on other cruise lines, but this is our first trip with Royal, so I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me on a few things.

Firstly, the soda package. Is it worth it? We're sailing for 14 nights, we're non drinkers, so does anyone know how much a soda actually costs? Also is there any tea/coffee water/juice that is free, or are these all extra. Just trying to suss out our best options.

Another thing we were wondering about, do they have any wave phones? We've sailed with Disney, and they have cell phones in each stateroom that only work onboard, but you can call and text others onboard so you can keep in contact. Is there anything like this on IOS or should we bring our good ole fashioned walkie talkies?

That's all that's been bugging me for now. Hope someone can help us out!

A can of soda is $2.50 or so...you will need to drink the EQUIVILENT of 3+ cans per day for the soda package (which is fountain soda) to pay for itself.

Coffee, tea (hot or iced) and ice water is included in your fare. Juice at breakfast and milk at meals or in the WJ is included, also.

They don't have phones anymore, unless you have a small child in the kid's club. It's really not hard to connect with each other if you have tentative plans for the day that you've shared with each other....you'll know where the other person will be!

I'll be sailing on the IOS in August 2014, have sailed before on other cruise lines, but this is our first trip with Royal, so I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me on a few things.

Firstly, the soda package. Is it worth it? We're sailing for 14 nights, we're non drinkers, so does anyone know how much a soda actually costs? Also is there any tea/coffee water/juice that is free, or are these all extra. Just trying to suss out our best options.

Another thing we were wondering about, do they have any wave phones? We've sailed with Disney, and they have cell phones in each stateroom that only work onboard, but you can call and text others onboard so you can keep in contact. Is there anything like this on IOS or should we bring our good ole fashioned walkie talkies?

That's all that's been bugging me for now. Hope someone can help us out!

We've had the soda package on our last 2 cruises for our kids. If they drink more than 3 sodas a day then it's worth it. Tea and coffee are available for free all over the ship.

There are no cell phones in the rooms for you to use. Bring your walkie talkies if you need to.

A can of soda is $2.50 or so...you will need to drink the EQUIVILENT of 3+ cans per day for the soda package (which is fountain soda) to pay for itself.

Coffee, tea (hot or iced) and ice water is included in your fare. Juice at breakfast and milk at meals or in the WJ is included, also.

Sometimes there is a fruit punch (not juice) type drink or lemonade that is included, as well as iced tea/tea/coffee/water. The free water is tap water, bottled water is extra. Also, be careful about the orange juice. They are known to come around in the Windjammer offering fresh squeezed OJ, but this is for an extra charge so be sure to ask before accepting one. Only the juice from concentrate is free.

Sometimes there is a fruit punch (not juice) type drink or lemonade that is included, as well as iced tea/tea/coffee/water. The free water is tap water, bottled water is extra. Also, be careful about the orange juice. They are known to come around in the Windjammer offering fresh squeezed OJ, but this is for an extra charge so be sure to ask before accepting one. Only the juice from concentrate is free.

I wouldn't touch the free swill they call orange juice. Anyone who thinks that crap is orange juice doesn't know what orange juice is.

Depending on what you like, you might look into the replenish package. It comes with sodas, bottled flat and sparkling water, specialty coffees, virgin frozen cocktails AND my favorite fresh squeezed orange juice. At first I thought it was a bit on the expensive side, but I know I got my money's worth.

Only downside is one drink at a time, but if I wanted to bring back a couple bottles of water to my room for later, I would just hit 2 different bars on the way back to the room.

Are soft drinks included with meals in the MDR? I was thinking they were, but maybe I'm misremembering from my last cruise...

They do have a limited number of the deck phones available to rent for the week. I believe they are $25.00 each and you have to go to Guest Services to get them.

I thought they were DECT phones Jason? Not that I exactly know what those are either. :D:):D

Here's a definition, I guess...Some DECT phones can be used with general wireless technology, allowing different handsets connected to the same base station to be used as walkie talkies. Other standards, such as Wi-Fi®, have been more popular in some markets, however, so DECT technology has not expanded to many other devices in places like the US. A DECT phone can often be used with Voiceover Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology, allowing it to remain functional with the new communication platform.

I thought they were DECT phones Jason? Not that I exactly know what those are either. :D:):D

Here's a definition, I guess...Some DECT phones can be used with general wireless technology, allowing different handsets connected to the same base station to be used as walkie talkies. Other standards, such as Wi-Fi®, have been more popular in some markets, however, so DECT technology has not expanded to many other devices in places like the US. A DECT phone can often be used with Voiceover Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology, allowing it to remain functional with the new communication platform.

It may be DECT for all I know. One of the dining people spelled his DECK in an email I received so I thought that's how it was spelled.

Either way the program is called "Royal Connect" and it costs $30.00 per phone for the entire cruise.

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/docs/rccl-pdfs/connect-brochure.pdf

It may be DECT for all I know. One of the dining people spelled his DECK in an email I received so I thought that's how it was spelled.

Either way the program is called "Royal Connect" and it costs $30.00 per phone for the entire cruise.

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/docs/rccl-pdfs/connect-brochure.pdf

Erg... I've had bad experience with the interoperability of DECT equipment...

There is really nothing like Wave phones for passengers. The crew uses them.

Seen walkie talkies in use and the reception seems spotty and they have definitely been the recipient of some sideways glances. If traveling in a group I'd consider a whiteboard for your stateroom door. Or post-it noes. Good communication is key.

Consider the Royal Replenish package or soda only package unless you are ok with powdered iced tea, OJ from concentrate, lemonade and flavored "calorie free" waters available most of the day. (Yuck, artificial sweeteners.) The morning has a few more choices.