Veendam Lanai Questions

shrimp56

I do know that there have been plenty of discussions on this topic, but the search function isn't working for me yesterday and today

We are considering a Lanai on a Veendam Hawaii Circle cruise. My main question is whether it is better to choose one that is interspersed with regular cabins, deck chair-wise rather than one of the Lanais that are bunched together midships? In which case are you better able to defend your assigned deck chairs?

Edited by shrimp56

We have a lanai booked on our upcoming cruise on the Veendam. We had a lanai cabin on the Maasdam over a holiday cruise and enjoyed it so much we decided to book a lanai again.

I will try to answer your questions from experience. I really don't see an advantage to choosing a cabin grouped together with other lanai cabins or one interspersed with other cabins. If your concern is the use of deck chairs and finding someone using your chair I think that can happen wherever you are.

I would choose my cabin for location. I would not book the ones that are closest to the doors that lead from the inside of the ship to the prom deck. If there is a good wind those doors can shut with some force and noise. Also, little more traffic coming and going.

There is a laundry on that deck, I think doors open to laundry on starboard side.

We never found anyone using the loungers that were assigned to us, if you thought it would be a problem grab some of the towels that are placed out and set up your chair. We placed some of the towel animals out a few times.

I think most passengers recognize the use of the loungers, I know it would be uncomfortable to have to ask someone to vacate your lounger but a nice smile and greeting should do

the trick.

The only problem on our cruise was some misinformation placed in the cabin about what loungers were yours as you exited your cabin. It was quickly resolved by the staff on deck and an apology note arrived in our cabin, another nice touch from HAL.

We are very social and enjoyed greeting the folks walking the deck and having light conversation. There was some question about people seeing in your cabin at night, I had my DH go out and check and he said he did not see the moon:D The lights do stay on all night on that deck so if you like a dark cabin that a few clips to hold the curtains.

Hope my post helped answer your question.

We had lanais on both Maasdam and Veendam. I agree with what has been posted about the location of the cabins. Only once did I have a problem with people sitting in our loungers and the people were very rude and refused to leave.Not everyone reads CC and the sign saying they are reserved is very small.

Thanks to both of you. You pretty much confirmed my thoughts. This is our compromise between and OV and a Vista Suite that still gives us a view and outside access. I looked at the CC reviews for the Lanais and they are very positive.

Thanks again for taking the time :)

I had a Lanai that was more or less a standalone. I can tell you that I had problems with people using my loungers. One person was especially problematical. After I pointed out that they were reserved for my cabin, she moved one so it blocked the Lanai door.

I would take the suggestion about being away from the exterior doors and would look for a Lanai that was with other Lanai cabins.

I have always liked the Lower Promenade Deck and LOVED the Lanai cabin.

We had lanais on both Maasdam and Veendam. I agree with what has been posted about the location of the cabins. Only once did I have a problem with people sitting in our loungers and the people were very rude and refused to leave.Not everyone reads CC and the sign saying they are reserved is very small.

When people refused to leave what did you do or what do you suggest one do about it?

We had a lanai on the Veendam the first year they came out..We loved it! Ours was with other lanai cabins..Since I heard about the very small sign HAL put on the chairs, I made another one up on my computer for both our loungers which stated:

"Thank you for not sitting here.. These lanai lounges were paid for by the Passengers booked in the adjoining lanai cabin"

Tried to make the signs look nice by putting a couple of palm trees on them..LOL :):) I actually pinned the signs on our two lounges with a towel & a book & never had a problem.. The lanai loungers also have different colored cushions..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Must admit that we were "underwhelmed" with the Lanai cabins on the Veendam. We did see the advantage to a direct door to the outside deck but that is where we thought any benefit ended. Many of the Lanai cabins provide a partially obstructed sea view since part of their view is blocked by various structures on the outside of the ship. In addition, once the sun started to set, anyone walking by (on the outside) could easily see inside the cabin and this became even worse after dark. As to having your own deck chair, that is very nice unless you do not like smokers and one happens to be near you on that deck. I suppose if the Lanai cabins were priced the same as a partially obstructed outside cabin we might be interested, but otherwise we prefer a totally unobstructed Outside Cabin (often at a far lower price).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Our experience in the Lanai cabin on our Veendam Hawaii cruise Dec. 2013 is completely the opposite of the above poster. We loved the Lanai, we had an unrestricted view for approximately 3/4 of the length of the deck in both directions.:)

We did as almost everyone does and immediately check to see if people on deck could see into our cabin and the answer was no way unless the sliding Lanai door was open. Even at night with the inside lights on and the curtain open with the slider closed you couldn't see in.;)

We were dead center in the ship and enjoyed watching the officers decorate the atruim for Christmas, also watching the games that were played in the atruim.

The one problem we had was that the sliding door stuck several time so maintenance had to be called. (They responded promptly). We were told that the problem was sea salt spray corrosion that could not be repaired permanently until dry dock which is scheduled for April.

When people refused to leave what did you do or what do you suggest one do about it?

Betty

I really asked very nicely several times, and when that didn't work(they didn't believe they were reserved sine they were on the promenade deck) I quietly told them I was going to call the front desk so they could come down and explain it to them. I went inside the cabin and they beat a hasty retreat.

During the day, after that first incident, I always left something on the chair; a towel, a magazine, etc. and never had a problem then.

If your cruise has tender ports, especially ports where you may not want to go ashore, or stay ashore all day, I suggest you take a good look at the deck plans before deciding on which cabin. Two of the lifeboats on each side are used as tenders. Those areas of the deck are closed off when the boats are down, and you can't use your deckspace when it's closed to passenger use.

If your cruise has tender ports, especially ports where you may not want to go ashore, or stay ashore all day, I suggest you take a good look at the deck plans before deciding on which cabin. Two of the lifeboats on each side are used as tenders. Those areas of the deck are closed off when the boats are down, and you can't use your deckspace when it's closed to passenger use.

Wow. Good advice:) I'm assuming the tenders are the big ones funny shaped ones?

Edited by shrimp56

Wow. Good advice:) I'm assuming the tenders are the big ones funny shaped ones?

Yes, the tenders are larger than the other lifeboats. You can usually pick them out on the deckplans because there are fewer of them, the size in the sketch, and they are more mid-ship.

Yes, the tenders are larger than the other lifeboats. You can usually pick them out on the deckplans because there are fewer of them, the size in the sketch, and they are more mid-ship.

And they have an indentation in the stern in the Veendam diagram. I matched the diagram with my picture of a Veendam tender from June 2013.

Thanks so much for the advice!

I have to disagree with this post. We had a lanai cabin which was near the tenders. The only time this area was shut down was when they were either lowering or raising the tenders. Once this was done the area was open again for use. It was actually a very short interruption in use of this area. That would for everyone not just those in the lanai cabins. Walkers etc. are not allowed to pass thru this area during this process.

This area is not totally closed in a port when tendering only when the crew are raising or lowering. They are very efficient in this process .

The first time, I happened to be on deck taking pictures. I mentioned to her, as I entered my cabin from the deck, that the lounger that she was in was reserved for the occupants of the cabin. I pointed out that the loungers two down were available for anyone. I suggested that she and her friend sit in them the next day. The next day, she had moved the loungers to block the door. I opened the Lanai door and bumped the lounger rather obviously. She didn't move, so I climbed right over her to get to the deck. I pointed out, again, that the lounger was reserved. I took my pictures and then climbed over her again, to get back into the cabin. I did the bump and climb several more times that afternoon. I'm usually a polite person, but I was quite irritated, especially since other lounge chairs were available.

She claimed the lounger a couple of more days on the cruise. When she saw me on deck, she would move.

The first time, I happened to be on deck taking pictures. I mentioned to her, as I entered my cabin from the deck, that the lounger that she was in was reserved for the occupants of the cabin. I pointed out that the loungers two down were available for anyone. I suggested that she and her friend sit in them the next day. The next day, she had moved the loungers to block the door. I opened the Lanai door and bumped the lounger rather obviously. She didn't move, so I climbed right over her to get to the deck. I pointed out, again, that the lounger was reserved. I took my pictures and then climbed over her again, to get back into the cabin. I did the bump and climb several more times that afternoon. I'm usually a polite person, but I was quite irritated, especially since other lounge chairs were available.

She claimed the lounger a couple of more days on the cruise. When she saw me on deck, she would move.

OH My.. That was not very nice of the lady..

But, understand many long time HAL Psgrs may not be aware of the new lanai cabins & don't realize that the psgrs in lanai's paid a premium for them.. Also the plaque which HAL made up for those chairs are quite small..

Wonder if there would be another solution such as being able to store the cushions for the lanai chairs in your cabin, perhaps on a special shelf installed above the sofa...

cheers..Betty

You were nicer than I would have been. I would have started by very openly taking her pictures (ask her to smile of course so that security can see her at her best). I also would have told her that my friends on facebook were going to love them. People like that really hate the idea of you invading their privacy, lol. But hey, if you're going to be an invited guest in my cabin and use my resources then I have that right to take pictures of you... you're in my space. I then would have told her I was contacting security since she was invading the space I had paid for and remind her that behaviour like that could get her removed from the ship. :)

Edited by sherilyn70

You were nicer than I would have been. I would have started by very openly taking her pictures (ask her to smile of course so that security can see her at her best). I also would have told her that my friends on facebook were going to love them. People like that really hate the idea of you invading their privacy, lol. But hey, if you're going to be an invited guest in my cabin and use my resources then I have that right to take pictures of you... you're in my space. I then would have told her I was contacting security since she was invading the space I had paid for and remind her that behaviour like that could get her removed from the ship. :)

Understand what you are saying but wonder if confrontation with other Psgrs is the way to go, as they may not know that the Lanai cabins cost more & have reserved chairs..

In addition confrontation would actually upset me more.. IMO HAL Security should be the ones to explain this to other Psgrs...

Cheers...Betty

Understand what you are saying but wonder if confrontation with other Psgrs is the way to go, as they may not know that the Lanai cabins cost more & have reserved chairs..

Putting the chair in front of my lanai door is confrontation... I face confrontation with the same back. She did it intentionally and well I think most know on here that I will not let someone bully me like that. :) I give what I get.

Wonder if there would be another solution such as being able to store the cushions for the lanai chairs in your cabin, perhaps on a special shelf installed above the sofa...

cheers..Betty

That's what we did on the Rotterdam on our Hawaii/South Pacific cruise. But not to prevent people from sitting in them. We found that, while the crew always collected the cushions for the non-reserved chairs each evening, they didn't always collect ours. And they would hose down the deck very early every morning so our cushions would be damp. It mattered most on sea days, of course. So we'd check the chairs before we went to bed each evening. If the cushions were there, we brought them in and tucked them behind the curtains. There's plenty of room there for them.

Another incredible advantage to the lanai cabins - a couple of times while we happened to be in our cabin, I looked out and saw dolphins. I kept my camera out and on the small table in the cabin so I could just grab it and run out and get pictures.

OH My.. That was not very nice of the lady..

But, understand many long time HAL Psgrs may not be aware of the new lanai cabins & don't realize that the psgrs in lanai's paid a premium for them.. Also the plaque which HAL made up for those chairs are quite small..

cheers..Betty

Wen were on the Zaandam last year, on the Lower Prom. deck and loved the ability to go outside on it and sit in the deck chairs. There aren't any Lanai cabins on that ship so the chairs are available to anyone. Next month we are on the Veendam, wondered if there are a lot of deck chairs that aren't assigned to certain cabins?

Wen were on the Zaandam last year, on the Lower Prom. deck and loved the ability to go outside on it and sit in the deck chairs. There aren't any Lanai cabins on that ship so the chairs are available to anyone. Next month we are on the Veendam, wondered if there are a lot of deck chairs that aren't assigned to certain cabins?

Yes there is the same amount but now some psgrs are paying for them... There has been no decrease in the number of chairs, it is just how they are being utilized that is different..

Many forget that those Psgrs who booked outside cabins on Prom. deck before & had to exit out of the atrium doors to the deck sat out on two non-assigned chairs... However, now those same people are sitting in assigned chairs...It's the same two chairs with different cushions & now they are paying a premium to just walk outside & not have to hunt for a chair.. There are only two chairs assigned to each cabin so there is no decrease in chairs..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499