Veendam Lanai Questions

shrimp56

BTW I just did a comparison of the HAL rate for a "C" outside cabin on Veendam for a seven day to Bermuda verses a Lanai for June 27, 2014..

Hal is pricing the outside "C" for $1529 per person & the Lanai Cabin available is $1699 per person..$170 more per week or $24.28 per day...:) .

A couple in the lanai is paying $340 more for their two dedicated chairs on the Prom. deck.. Hmmm.. That's not too bad since balcony cabins are much more..

We loved the lanai & also enjoyed having other Psgrs. around us..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

That's what we did on the Rotterdam on our Hawaii/South Pacific cruise. But not to prevent people from sitting in them. We found that, while the crew always collected the cushions for the non-reserved chairs each evening, they didn't always collect ours. And they would hose down the deck very early every morning so our cushions would be damp. It mattered most on sea days, of course. So we'd check the chairs before we went to bed each evening. If the cushions were there, we brought them in and tucked them behind the curtains. There's plenty of room there for them.

Another incredible advantage to the lanai cabins - a couple of times while we happened to be in our cabin, I looked out and saw dolphins. I kept my camera out and on the small table in the cabin so I could just grab it and run out and get pictures.

We too loved the lanai...

Has HAL increased the size of the Reserved plaques? When we were on Veendam they were very small & probably would not be noticed by others if they don't know about the dedicated lanai chairs..

Cheers..Betty

Someday I'd like to try a lanai. The cabin layout looks quite convenient. And we love LP.

On my Antarctic trip I noticed man of the days in Antarctica the steamer chaises were put away - probably to accommodate more people walking on the LP. So the lanai occupants did not have use of them for the entire trip.

Must admit that we were "underwhelmed" with the Lanai cabins on the Veendam. We did see the advantage to a direct door to the outside deck but that is where we thought any benefit ended. Many of the Lanai cabins provide a partially obstructed sea view since part of their view is blocked by various structures on the outside of the ship. In addition, once the sun started to set, anyone walking by (on the outside) could easily see inside the cabin and this became even worse after dark. As to having your own deck chair, that is very nice unless you do not like smokers and one happens to be near you on that deck. I suppose if the Lanai cabins were priced the same as a partially obstructed outside cabin we might be interested, but otherwise we prefer a totally unobstructed Outside Cabin (often at a far lower price).

Hank

And that would be the very reason that I would NEVER book a lanai stateroom! :( That, & the fact that you may very well have to 'encourage' someone to 'vacate' the two loungers that are reserved for your lanai stateroom! :mad:

BTW I just did a comparison of the HAL rate for a "C" outside cabin on Veendam for a seven day to Bermuda verses a Lanai for June 27, 2014..

Hal is pricing the outside "C" for $1529 per person & the Lanai Cabin available is $1699 per person..$170 more per week or $24.28 per day...:) .

A couple in the lanai is paying $340 more for their two dedicated chairs on the Prom. deck.. Hmmm.. That's not too bad since balcony cabins are much more..

We loved the lanai & also enjoyed having other Psgrs. around us..

Betty

The 'trade-off' being, of course, that there very well may be the likelihood that there will be smokers situated beside/near to your "two dedicated chairs", if, of course, they are not already occupying your "two dedicated chairs" ;)

On my Antarctic trip I noticed man of the days in Antarctica the steamer chaises were put away - probably to accommodate more people walking on the LP. So the lanai occupants did not have use of them for the entire trip.

TiogaCruiser,

I think you and I were on the same cruise. I questioned why the loungers were stowed in Antarctica. It was done to decrease the likelihood of noise disturbing the habitat in the region. Because people had to stand while on deck, they wouldn't linger out there. Because they were less likely to linger out there, there would be less conversation and noise.

I don't know if the restriction is a HAL one or a governmental one or just a Captain Peter Bos one, but that is the reason I was given.

I loved the Lanai cabin and would book another one in a heartbeat.

Lcand1923

I think you and I were on the same cruise. I questioned why the loungers were stowed in Antarctica. It was done to decrease the likelihood of noise disturbing the habitat in the region. Because people had to stand while on deck, they wouldn't linger out there. Because they were less likely to linger out there, there would be less conversation and noise.

I don't know if the restriction is a HAL one or a governmental one or just a Captain Peter Bos one, but that is the reason I was given.

I hadn't heard that explanation, and am glad to hear that at least there was some reason for it.

I missed being able to sit out there for hours at a time, which is my customary routine in that area, but I did think it may have had something to do with decreasing the chance of things going overboard, since the tables and chairs on Navigation Deck aft were put away, too.

The explanation, though, does not explain why the loungers weren't put out again after we left the area.

When I saw the Captain at the Mariners' Party I asked him about it and he looked bewildered. I was told that the Bar Manager (who is in charge of getting the loungers set up) thought it was still too cold, and no one would want to sit out there. Silly man! :D

They were set up within a half hour.

And that would be the very reason that I would NEVER book a lanai stateroom! :( That, & the fact that you may very well have to 'encourage' someone to 'vacate' the two loungers that are reserved for your lanai stateroom! :mad:

Only once in 30 days did I find someone sitting in one of our chairs. I politely asked, "May I sit in my chair, please?" The man said, "sure" and got right up. As far as smoking goes, I observed that the smokers tended to stop at the ashtrays to smoke. Now, those ashtrays are moveable. Every morning I looked to see if there were any ashtrays nearby. If there were, I would grab it as I walked by and placed it somewhere else. Problem solved.:D

Only once in 30 days did I find someone sitting in one of our chairs. I politely asked, "May I sit in my chair, please?" The man said, "sure" and got right up. As far as smoking goes, I observed that the smokers tended to stop at the ashtrays to smoke. Now, those ashtrays are moveable. Every morning I looked to see if there were any ashtrays nearby. If there were, I would grab it as I walked by and placed it somewhere else. Problem solved.:D

I do the same thing;) we really enjoy the lanai cabins. I will add prior to booking the lanai we always booked veranda , we had big time smokers on either side of us, hacking and coughing up a lung as we tried to enjoy our morning coffee. Enough to drive us inside...no way to grab their ashtrays.

Our room steward always brought our cushions in at night and placed them behind the curtains. When we set them out in the morning we "set" them up with the provided towels and usually a book or something. Thankfully we didn't have to ask someone to vacate our loungers. If I had a problem I would let those in charge handle it..

Will be sitting on one of those loungers soon...

I do the same thing;) we really enjoy the lanai cabins. I will add prior to booking the lanai we always booked veranda , we had big time smokers on either side of us, hacking and coughing up a lung as we tried to enjoy our morning coffee. Enough to drive us inside...no way to grab their ashtrays.

Our room steward always brought our cushions in at night and placed them behind the curtains. When we set them out in the morning we "set" them up with the provided towels and usually a book or something. Thankfully we didn't have to ask someone to vacate our loungers. If I had a problem I would let those in charge handle it..

Will be sitting on one of those loungers soon...

I, too, have always booked veranda. On my upcoming trip my husband and I are in a lanai. It's nice to hear that you really enjoyed the lanai. The price to go from a lanai to a veranda on our trip is $500 per person for the VQ category and I couldn't justify that. So, THANK YOU for some positive words of encouragement. Now I'm really looking forward to my trip. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I, too, have always booked veranda. On my upcoming trip my husband and I are in a lanai. It's nice to hear that you really enjoyed the lanai. The price to go from a lanai to a veranda on our trip is $500 per person for the VQ category and I couldn't justify that. So, THANK YOU for some positive words of encouragement. Now I'm really looking forward to my trip. :)

Your so welcome, the cabins are smaller than veranda square footage wise but we didn't find it a problem...after 40 years together we have learned how to dance around each other. And you always have that big deck out your door to escape to:)

This is exactly why we booked a Lanai for our Hawaii cruise. In our case it $1,000. each extra to go to a verandah. With the tips I've garnered here I think we'll have a lovely time:)

TiogaCruiser,

Ahh- the rest of the story. Thanks!

We loved our Lanai cabins on the Rotterdam and when ever we encountered people who had taken over our clearly marked reserved Lounge chairs - my husband would go in the cabin and bring out the chair by the desk. He would sit right next to the person who was in one of our chairs and would light up a cigarette. When they got abusive about his smoke, he would smile and tell them that if they chose to sit in his space then they were choosing to enjoy his cigarette with him.

I don't recall having many more issues over the chairs.

Should we ever sail on another ship that has the Lanai cabin - believe me, we will be booking them again.

Absolutely love the cabins and the convenience to the outdoors.

Barbara

Previous Cruises

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009 - 7 days

Alaska - Rotterdam - September 2010 - 7 days

Mexican Riviera - Oosterdam - April 2011 - 7 days

Alaska - Amsterdam - September 2012 - 14 days

We loved our Lanai cabins on the Rotterdam and when ever we encountered people who had taken over our clearly marked reserved Lounge chairs - my husband would go in the cabin and bring out the chair by the desk. He would sit right next to the person who was in one of our chairs and would light up a cigarette. When they got abusive about his smoke, he would smile and tell them that if they chose to sit in his space then they were choosing to enjoy his cigarette with him.

I don't recall having many more issues over the chairs.

Should we ever sail on another ship that has the Lanai cabin - believe me, we will be booking them again.

Absolutely love the cabins and the convenience to the outdoors.

Barbara

Previous Cruises

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009 - 7 days

Alaska - Rotterdam - September 2010 - 7 days

Mexican Riviera - Oosterdam - April 2011 - 7 days

Alaska - Amsterdam - September 2012 - 14 days

these are really great comments - they would be helpful to others looking at Lanai cabins. If you took some pics would you kindly consider sending them in along with your comments, you cc name, ship and approximate date to pictures@halfacts.com ? We really need some Lanai info on our new websiste.

I hope you don't mind me asking

these are really great comments - they would be helpful to others looking at Lanai cabins. If you took some pics would you kindly consider sending them in along with your comments, you cc name, ship and approximate date to pictures@halfacts.com ? We really need some Lanai info on our new websiste.

I hope you don't mind me asking

If you don't get them earlier, you'll get some from me before Christmas. We booked a Lanai for the circle Hawaii cruise. The helpful comments here really aided both our decision to book a lanai and which one to book.