book through TA or cruise line?

janall53

Planning to book a cruise, have used a TA in the past but think it would be just as easy to book myself . Any suggestions?

i booked my first few cruises thru a TA . After the TA left the business I tried other TA's and directly . Then just decided to book directly . Depending on ability to research and keep a good track of your reservations you can easily book directly thru the cruise line . Thru the cruise line you won't get the perks that the TA might give .

This has me curious also. The only cruise I've been on was a charted cruise, and I booked through a tour company. Now, I'm hooked on cruising. Always wanted to know which was better booking yourself or with a TA. Love that everyone is sharing. Can't wait to hear more.

I am looking I to my very first cruise myself for March 2015 and met a great TA a few years ago. He's explained to me he'll find THE BEST price out there for me, plus additional upgrades, perks and $ to spend on the ship. So I myself have been doing a ton of research on this website and YouTube is very helpful too. I say whatever your personal preference is. I am going to use a TA for my first trip but also being watching for price drops through these next 6-8 months to compare prices. It's a lot of time and work searching on your own, but I find it a lot of fun! I enjoy planning. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Well, if we we're allowed to post TA names here, I would! But since we can't, I guess I won't! I've always used a TA myself. I always do the research to find out what cruises I am interested in, then drive my TA crazy with questions and opinions. She has been on many many cruises with all of the mainstream lines and a majority of their ships.

Her experience and insight is invaluable We have always gotten great service and some sort of perk, usually OBC and a bottle of wine. I have emailed her late at night, obviously not expecting a response until the next business day or so , but have gotten replies at midnight at times. Now THAT is great service!

I have nothing against people booking their own cruises thru the cruise lines directly, but I also like the fact that if there is an issue with the booking, I have someone on my side whom I know personally and is an agent for a high volume agency and may be able to make things happen or make changes on my behalf.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We use a TA and save about 15% off the cruise line fare. In addition, we usually get some OBC to help cover expenses on the ship.

How is this possible? Everything I have read on CC says TA's have same prices as cruise lines and other online sites. I have found that to be the case. When you drill down enough, all the prices are the same. The only thing I have seen that might suggest an additional discount is that TA's book group bookings and then sell the cabins individually, but how would they advertise that?

That's a very good question masspector. According to the TA'S they receive prices below what the public is offered and they have the ability to give OBC and free upgrades. I am with you about doing the researching part as well. I will be doing both, having my TA find me lowest price or find it myself and see if he can beat it. If he can't then I'll buy it myself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I always use a TA, he's been invaluable in providing information & making sure we get the best deal possible. He's on top of price drops, and he has always gotten us OBC & paid gratuities.

It's just nice to know that there's a professional in your corner if you need them.

Thank's for all the input. We booked our last cruise through a different TA and price was exactly the same as what I could get on line, no perks from her and the they charge $79. for booking cruise and another $79. for booking flight.Not being cheap but I could have done the same thing and spent that money on my cruise. Maybe just need to find another TA, but am seriously thinking about doing it myself.

How is this possible? Everything I have read on CC says TA's have same prices as cruise lines and other online sites. I have found that to be the case. When you drill down enough, all the prices are the same. The only thing I have seen that might suggest an additional discount is that TA's book group bookings and then sell the cabins individually, but how would they advertise that?

My goodness no! We have been on an awful lot of cruises (lost count after the first 60 or 70) and literally spend years at sea as passengers. We always shop around (among our own "short list" of favored online TAs) and compare the overall "package" to the prices offered by the cruise lines. On only one occasion have we even round the cruise line's own web site to offer a deal comparable to our various TAs (and that was a special Military rate on Celebrity). Our savings on some cruises have often gone into the thousands of dollars (on a single cruise). On shorter cruises (less then 2 weeks) the savings are not as great, but we often can save hundreds of dollars. With cruise lines that enforce strict price controls we can often grab benefits like pre-paid gratuitites, onboard credits, etc.

Your problem is that you are simply comparing the actual cruise price (which is often the same due to price controls) rather then factoring in the value of amenities often offered by certain TAs. And in some cases, TAs do have lower prices then you will see online but are prohibited from advertising those prices online (this is enforced by the cruise lines). These unadvertised specials are often e-mailed to clients (most of these agencies will let anyone sign-up for free) or sometimes are only available via a phone call (toll free).

We recently "negotiated" a deal while we were actually on a cruise. We were tempted by an attractive offer (available onboard to only those who booked a future cruise onboard) but decided we could do better. So I e-mailed one of our "favored TAs" and asked them if they would kick-in pre-paid gratuities (worth about $350) if we did book onboard and then transferred the booking to that particular TA. The answer was "yes" and that is what we did. For the cost of a simple e-mail we essentially put $350 into our pocket. And this was on a relatively short cruise.

Hank

Thank's for all the input. We booked our last cruise through a different TA and price was exactly the same as what I could get on line, no perks from her and the they charge $79. for booking cruise and another $79. for booking flight.Not being cheap but I could have done the same thing and spent that money on my cruise. Maybe just need to find another TA, but am seriously thinking about doing it myself.

Welcome to CC!

Yikes. I have never paid a travel agent for a cruise booking, although I am aware that these days they charge for airline reservations. We always book our own air though.

Is it more common for Canadian TA's to charge for booking cruises?

It depends on the Cruise line. Some do not allow a TA to discount the fares. Others (like Princess) do allow it. We travel with Princess. Sorry I cannot put the name of the TA on here.

It depends on the Cruise line. Some do not allow a TA to discount the fares. Others (like Princess) do allow it. We travel with Princess. Sorry I cannot put the name of the TA on here.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me which other lines allow TA's to discount? I have only been on Carnival and RC recently. However considering an Alaska 2015 and looking at Princess, HAL, or NCL.